Lancer Build Tutorial

What are people doing with the nylon on the inside of the belt armor? I know Mickey cut his off past the rivets but my understanding is it can (should) go all the way ‘round? Are people gluing it to the plastic to avoid sagging?

1 minute ago, Harbinger said:

What are people doing with the nylon on the inside of the belt armor? I know Mickey cut his off past the rivets but my understanding is it can (should) go all the way ‘round? Are people gluing it to the plastic to avoid sagging?

I velcro'd a few inches to the inside of the belt to alleviate some of the stress from the rivets. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrPoopie said:

I velcro'd a few inches to the inside of the belt to alleviate some of the stress from the rivets. 

I did this as well to keep stress off of the plastic and the nylon from tearing at the connection points.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just had a quick question about the detanator, after you painted the wire did you need to clear coat it? And is that paint an acrylic?

The housing on the wire is a rubber material which means very few solvent based paints will adhere to it properly. Sometimes folks have painted their det cording with enamel or lacquer based paints and found that it never truly dries, so it'll remain sticky to the touch.

I used acrylic when I did my wrapped det tube and I didn't clearcoat it. Being acrylic though, it'll need touch up paint over time, as it can chip and flake off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used Rustoleum Gray spray paint on my wire and then clear coated it.  Problem solved.   Held up well ever since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished my det with the wire wrap and used acrylic. It seemed to dry fairly well but I do fear the chipping in the future. If it does happen to chip off Ill definitely try the spray paint method with clear coat. I've got plenty of extra wire and tubing left 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine hasn’t chipped but is forever slightly tacky. My plan is to hunt for vintage gray wire at Goodwill etc., at which point I’ll swap it out and avoid painting entirely.

Mine hasn’t chipped but is forever slightly tacky. My plan is to hunt for vintage gray wire at Goodwill etc., at which point I’ll swap it out and avoid painting entirely.

I used cord from a lamp or light weight extension cord that was the proper gray. It was something akin to the photo below and was easy to split the two wires down the seam in the middle. You should be able find something in your local big box hardware store and it will be easier to obtain than hunting for vintage phone wire.

8d8f295ff5506e25a9f092f2f0c78988.jpg
  • Like 2

I know people talk about the weight difference between the wire and say a moulded det "wire"...

How significant is that?   Is it massively heavier?

I stopped using my wrapped tubing after about 5 troops and swapped back to the gray vacuum tubing. The wrapped tube isn't ridiculously more heavy, but it is heavier.

The only vendor who sells the molded det wire tubing is RS props. The weight between theirs and the fully wrapped tubing is approximately the same, maybe a little less.

Most other vendors supply a section of vacuum tubing, which is lighter and fully acceptable for Level 2/Lancer.

• Like 1

I'm the same as @Chopper. I stopped trooping with my wire wrap soon after finishing it. It's needlessly heavy.

• Like 1

Ditto for me too.  I made one and it looks great, but there’s a noticeable difference.  I used it once and went back to my RS TD.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hm, I can see them on my browser if I'm using Firefox, but they show up as broken links on Microsoft Edge.

I noticed this, they also show up fine in Tapatalk. Because I can load them by going to the URL directly I was wondering if it had to do with the latest changes in the forum to https. It seems they are all hosted without SSL and the browser may be blocking unsecured resource loading.

Edit: That's exactly what it is
image.png.1d980534644b21669daf780b8c697333.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hm, I can see them on my browser if I'm using Firefox, but they show up as broken links on Microsoft Edge.

They’re showing fine in Tapatalk.

9 hours ago, Worst said:

I noticed this, they also show up fine in Tapatalk. Because I can load them by going to the URL directly I was wondering if it had to do with the latest changes in the forum to https. It seems they are all hosted without SSL and the browser may be blocking unsecured resource loading.

Edit: That's exactly what it is
image.png.1d980534644b21669daf780b8c697333.png

Well obviously we are not going back to http, so I'll see if there is another solution!

Thanks for running this down. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2017 at 11:09 AM, Strider said:

"4. Fix the rivet on one side using a washer."

where are people finding the correct rivets?

Got all my rivets and washers at Ace hardware. The blue and orange box stores were useless for me.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 hours ago, KOtrooper said:

Got all my rivets and washers at Ace hardware. The blue and orange box stores were useless for me.

....Agreed, sometimes you cannot beat them older Ma & Pop Hardware shops! We have one here in Snoqualmie, WA called "Carmichaels" (But they're really a "True Value" hardware shop) But they have an excellent set of hard to find vintage styled hardware and connectors.

....Agreed, sometimes you cannot beat them older Ma & Pop Hardware shops! We have one here in Snoqualmie, WA called "Carmichaels" (But they're really a "True Value" hardware shop) But they have an excellent set of hard to find vintage styled hardware and connectors.
Nice! I'll have to check them out next time I'm in the area.