Lancer Build Tutorial

The scout is a mystery in ways that many other 501st Costumes aren't, simply because no outside collector has gotten their hands on a screen used suit. Helmets yes (and even that is rare), but not the suits. We have learned so many things about this costume in the last few years, but sometimes we've had to go back and forth in things (the pouch flap stitching for example) because some new piece of info came out. So for things like that we really can't do anything besides say "optional". As we get more and more definitive evidence we will update accordingly.

And I agree with you, nothing makes me angrier than someone that doesn't take pride in their ride and want to be the absolute best! :)

• Like 7

I waited for a while to go Lancer for the same reason. Until I got Striders set I didn't feel like anything currently available could even be considered "screen accurate"...much less "prop accurate". Currently the best looking Scout will be one with Striders armor and an RS bucket. Hopefully with this stuff out in the wild now we can get more accurate stuff in the hands of more people.

BUT, most people who do this hobby do it for others. They want to share the love, and kids dgaf about who made your armor, and as far as the 501st is concerned that takes the cake as it should. Those if us who are obsessing are trying to make change gradually by making more accurate things available to everyone, like through this thread and my TD thread for example. Things are changing, but change takes time. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Currently the best looking Scout will be one with Striders armor and an RS bucket.

Hey! I know a guy with that set up...... ;)

• Like 2

I waited for a while to go Lancer for the same reason. Until I got Striders set I didn't feel like anything currently available could even be considered "screen accurate"...much less "prop accurate". Currently the best looking Scout will be one with Striders armor and an RS bucket. Hopefully with this stuff out in the wild now we can get more accurate stuff in the hands of more people.

BUT, most people who do this hobby do it for others. They want to share the love, and kids dgaf about who made your armor, and as far as the 501st is concerned that takes the cake as it should. Those if us who are obsessing are trying to make change gradually by making more accurate things available to everyone, like through this thread and my TD thread for example. Things are changing, but change takes time. :)

That's what I'm doing :)

• Like 2

Hey! I know a guy with that set up...... ;)

Lol...i didn't even think about that when I was writing haha

• Like 1

Why do they have the word optional in the lancer standards.....it shouldn't be optional. That's the only thing holding me back from going lancer.......because I feel there are to many lancers that shouldn't be. Strider your scout is tight same with Gino. Those two suits is what we should be going by......to many people are slipping though the cracks. I'm very passionate about the scout trooper. And it makes me sad and angry when people don't take pride in there armor. Keep up the great work Strider

Thanks, man - much appreciated. Yeah, a few guys in my garisson feel this way, too. That's why I suggested to come up with a L3 similiar to SWAT at the MEPD. But suffice to say the proposition did not obtain a majority at that time. On the upside the Lancer requirements have just been updated (as of 10/2016) to incorporate the new findings up to then. In addition to what Mickey said the optional part pretty much constituted a compromise between the ones that want to keep Lancer somewhat (easily) achievable and those that demand screen accuracy.

In regard to armor I really hope more makers will accept the challenge and try to up their game. But then again why should they when so many people are super happy with their armor. The simple fact is that the people demanding screen accurate gear are just not in the majority. But hey - I can perfectly live with that. 'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers' ;-)

• Like 3

Accuracy and standards have always been a bugbear of every administration known to date.

Change them and make them more stringent and everyone moans.

Leave them a little more freeform and everyone moans.

I remember the backlash that Marcel suffered when he implemented the flak vest onto the CRL.

We still get questions about it now.

I am pleased that people want to go for screen accuracy. This is my driving factor. Putting smiles on peoples faces happens because of our dedication to this costume and making it the best it can be.

But there are limits.

The various available armours out there ALL have their little accuracy deficiencies.

To me it seems almost a little disingenuous to go getting in a flap over 1/4" on a strap width or the stitching on pouches when ultimately some part of the main armour is quite obviously wrong.

But, these are the items that we CAN control, and the individuals can adjust if necessary. So we discuss them.

I would love to make various parts of various armour inadmissible as part of the Lancer standards, but that idea has met with some resistance, and I am sure that if I presented that to you, the membership, you'd think my head has fallen off.

So we put in optional, because it allows those of us who wish to go ultra accurate to do so, without having to bog down in multiple levels.

The standards will increase over time, but it has to be a gradual change as the high tide starts the float all the boats to the same level.

We're seeing this... More peoples Scouts are becoming a proper costume in it's own right, rather than just the '2nd' or 'my wife comfortable costume'.

So progress is happening like an unstoppable force. And as that progresses and increases, so the standard will change and adapt to suit until we have achieved the unachievable... 100% screen accuracy.

• Like 3

Weathering

Weathering your scout is acutally fairly easy - if you know how to do it 😉 I know I was pretty scared the first time that I would mess it up and it takes a couple of tries to get the right feel for it. But after that it's fun and it's easily and quickly done. I would suggest trying it out on some white sheets of paper before to get a feeling for the right distance and intensity. It's easy to get carried away and apply too much weathering so I would recommend to start off easy - you can always apply more. Also it doesn't hurt to have a certain pattern in mind which you want to emulate.

When I weather a scout I follow three steps. The first step is to apply a base layer by just spraying a mist of black from about 2 feet away. Word to the wise when you're spraypainting outside: Don't spray against the wind 😉

The second step is to move a bit closer whith the rattle can and apply some accents. Make sure not to get to close unless of course you want to emulate a dalmatian.

For the third step I'm using a fine grid sandpaper to apply some scratches (mostly on the accentuated parts). Try to follow some random pattern, best is not to give it too much thought. Again, too many scratches look unrealistic so start off easy and see how it looks.

I've made a short video to convey the idea. Sorry for being out of focus sometimes but it was not easy to concentrate on spraying and filming at the same time, lol! As ususal the bright light outside "eats up" a lot of the more subtle base weathering so I've included 2 pictures below with the final results.

Any questions please feel free to ask!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2be0cuCSoLQ&feature=youtu.be

weathering1.jpg

weathering2.jpg

• Like 5

Definitely giving your weathering technique a try. Looks very authentic to the movie and doesn't require an airbrush, which I don't have access to. I did some really light weathering with acrylic paint, but haven't been super satisfied with it.

This build thread is awesome by the way and will be very helpful for future lancers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thermal Detonator (TD)

The TD looks like a real tiny part but there's actually a lot of effort that goes into it. First off, let's start with the individual parts:

TD1.jpg

- plastic shell

- 2 greeblies

- zip tie

- tube

- cable (still optional for Lancer at this point, you could also use a vacuum cleaner hose e.g.)

- 2 end caps

- belt clips

You can find decent belt clips online like these here >>> http://www.knifekits...roducts_id=4192

but since I like my parts to be accurate I took a shot at making them myself. This was my reference pic:

TD2.jpg

I started with drawing a template and transfered it onto a steel panel. After that I cut out the form with a dremel, sanded it, bent it to the appropriate form and painted it black.

beltclip1.jpg

beltclip121.jpg

beltclip2.jpg

TD3.jpg

For the hose I used a 1 3/8" hose garden hose and for the cable two 12' HDX extension cords. You'll need to cut off the ends and pull them apart. This is the hose and the cable I used:

TD4.jpg

Link to cable:

http://www.homedepot...2-417/100672779

After tieing up the cable around the hose I painted it using a Vallejo light grey:

TD5.jpg

One more quick note...make sure to twist the cable when you're wrapping it so the the flat side faces up. The split sides should be next to each other (this tipp comes from Shaun actually :)

I just let the final pictures speak for themselves:

Reference:

TDF1.jpg

TDF1.jpg

Final results:

TDF2.jpg

TDF3.jpg

TDF4.jpg

One word of caution though re the greeblies: In the film both combinations were seen however for reasons of standardization the current Lancer standards require that the larger greeblie sits on the left side (when you look at it).

• Like 5

So quick question it seem the mm for the elastic and webbing converted to inches are off numbers do I just round off. Or does anyone have the numbers in inches to buy

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

So quick question it seem the mm for the elastic and webbing converted to inches are off numbers do I just round off. Or does anyone have the numbers in inches to buy

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'd stick to the measures in inches. The mm measures are often just approximations.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The top of the tank is attached by a 1/2 inch elastic strap that is riveted from the inside of the tank and using a washer on the top of the tank top greeblie. The elastic goes around and inside the armor and is attached to the inside with velcro e.g.

On the bottom of the tank I've just used a screw and a nut to fix the tank from below and give it more stability. This is a personal choice. If you want to go all the way and do it prop accurate you can pull the elastic underneath the back armor and rivet it to the tank (where the scre is instead).

So am I reading this correctly? On the screen used sets a 1/2" (12mm) piece of elastic was attached by one end to the inside of the top of the tank, the other end to the inside of the bottom. The back armour then passed through the "loop" that created? Was that the only thing holding the tank to the back?

So am I reading this correctly? On the screen used sets a 1/2" (12mm) piece of elastic was attached by one end to the inside of the top of the tank, the other end to the inside of the bottom. The back armour then passed through the "loop" that created? Was that the only thing holding the tank to the back?

Yup!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...