Lancer Build Tutorial

Ohh man the pictures is gone and i was just gonna start to follow this tread. Any chance to get them up again?

Thanks for the heads-up. This seems to be a general problem for everybody who uses photobucket to share pics (i.e. most of us). They now want to have 400 USD yearly for us to use their spam-overloaded services.

I'll look for other options to host the pictures and to exchange the links in the posts. But this may take a couple of weeks. Thanks to Photobucket for a great customer experience *irony modus off*

Thanks for hanging in there, guys!

• Like 3

Ugh. That's one way to put the final nail in your business coffin...

Appreciate whatever you can do to get the build photos back up again.

I'll look for other options to host the pictures and to exchange the links in the posts. But this may take a couple of weeks. Thanks to Photobucket for a great customer experience *irony modus off*

Thanks for hanging in there, guys!

I've been using Imgur and it's much less of a hassle than the super-spammy photo bucket. Recommended! (I was also just coming here too to check your photos as I begin my back tank!) :)

Thanks, guys. I've decided to host the pics myself now to avoid something like this happening again in the future. However, it'll be a bit of a PITA to reinsert all the pics and see what goes where so bear with me here ;-)

• Like 2

Sorry to interrupt this awesome thread, but I've been using https://postimage.io/ and it has all of the functionality of PB without the ads and slow load times. Might be a viable alternative. Thanks heaps Strider for this thread too, really helps an up and coming scout shooting for Lancer, great work!

• Like 2

Fantastically useful and helpful thread - thanks Strider! I've been gone for a bit but can finally devote some time again to my build. I notice that the Page 1 link to the new pouch pattern derived from Gino's suit seems to be missing. Is that something you can post again?

Thanks!

Dan

Fantastically useful and helpful thread - thanks Strider! I've been gone for a bit but can finally devote some time again to my build. I notice that the Page 1 link to the new pouch pattern derived from Gino's suit seems to be missing. Is that something you can post again?

Thanks!

Dan

Link to PDF template is up again :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thermal Detonator (TD)

The TD looks like a real tiny part but there's actually a lot of effort that goes into it. First off, let's start with the individual parts:

TD1.jpg

- plastic shell

- 2 greeblies

- zip tie

- tube

- cable (still optional for Lancer at this point, you could also use a vacuum cleaner hose e.g.)

- 2 end caps

- belt clips

You can find decent belt clips online like these here >>> http://www.knifekits...roducts_id=4192

but since I like my parts to be accurate I took a shot at making them myself. This was my reference pic:

TD2.jpg

I started with drawing a template and transfered it onto a steel panel. After that I cut out the form with a dremel, sanded it, bent it to the appropriate form and painted it black.

beltclip1.jpg

beltclip21.jpg

beltclip2.jpg

TD3.jpg

For the hose I used a 1 3/8" hose garden hose and for the cable two 12' HDX extension cords. You'll need to cut off the ends and pull them apart. This is the hose and the cable I used:

TD4.jpg

Link to cable:

http://www.homedepot...2-417/100672779

After tieing up the cable around the hose I painted it using a Vallejo light grey:

TD5.jpg

One more quick note...make sure to twist the cable when you're wrapping it so the the flat side faces up. The split sides should be next to each other (this tipp comes from Shaun actually :)

I just let the final pictures speak for themselves:

Reference:

TDF1.jpg

Final results:

TDF2.jpg

TDF3.jpg

TDF4.jpg

One word of caution though re the greeblies: In the film both combinations were seen however for reasons of standardization the current Lancer standards require that the larger greeblie sits on the left side (when you look at it).

Hi Constantin,

When you wrap the chord around the vaccum tube, is it glued down or will it stay in place just from winding it?

Hi Constantin,

When you wrap the chord around the vaccum tube, is it glued down or will it stay in place just from winding it?

You need to secure it somehow where the wrap begins and ends. However you do that is up to you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Building a bikerscout helmet

Building a biker scout helmet is really as much an art as it is a trade. It's a puzzle where the position of each part influences all other parts; so as many helmets as you may build each one is slightly different. Below you can see a (rather picture heavy) build process:

The first part is usually trimming and lining up the dome and use ABS straps to connect the two halves. The ABS straps need to be heat bend first using a heat gun to bring them in the exact shape. The better the straps line up (less gaps) the cleaner the helmet will look from the inside because you have less bondo pushing through.

bikerhelmetbuild1.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild2.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild3.jpg

I usually do around 3 rounds of bondo before I'm sanding it down.

bikerhelmetbuild4.jpg

The next step is assembling the 3 visor pieces. I'm using a distance of 3,5cm between the front visor (measured in the middle) and the facemask.

bikerhelmetbuild5.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild6.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild7.jpg

Assembling the visor to the dome is really an iterative process where you cut of small chunks of material until the visor fits perfectly to the dome. And when you think you're done try opening up the helmet. Usually you have to remove more material so that the visor does not scratch the dome while opening up.

bikerhelmetbuild8.jpg

The marked section has to be dremmeled out for hinge mechanism to work properly:

bikerhelmetbuild9.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild10.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild11.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild12.jpg

Fast Forward: After sanding, painting (sequence: Special ABS primer, filler, primer, white RAL 9016 laquer and potentially clear coat), putting on decals and the snout, installing a liner and some weathering, this is what a finished helmet can look like:

bikerhelmetbuild15.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild13.jpg

bikerhelmetbuild14.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Strider, amazing thread and thank you for sharing!

I'm about to start building my first ever suit and join the 501st. The first one I've decided will be the Biker Scout. You've helped me see it might not be as hard as I first imagined actually building the Lancer right away, instead of upgraded a standard. I may have to stress the might bit, as I've not a single creative bone in my body :D I'll be getting a steep learning curve I guess

• 3 weeks later...
Wow Strider, amazing thread and thank you for sharing!

I'm about to start building my first ever suit and join the 501st. The first one I've decided will be the Biker Scout. You've helped me see it might not be as hard as I first imagined actually building the Lancer right away, instead of upgraded a standard. I may have to stress the might bit, as I've not a single creative bone in my body :D I'll be getting a steep learning curve I guess

now that I've gotten my armor I've been looking in this thread multiple times a day aswell. I'm going to try to go for lancer right away aswell.

tank5.jpg

Is this done the same way on both sides of the chest/back armor?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

now that I've gotten my armor I've been looking in this thread multiple times a day aswell. I'm going to try to go for lancer right away aswell.

Is this done the same way on both sides of the chest/back armor?

Sorry, missed that question...yes, the same on both sides.

So I've seen the question on how to install the Liner coming up from time to time and I thought I quickly show the process:

1. First step is to cut off the excess plastic where I've drawn the line:

Liner1.png

Liner2.png

2. Drill a hole with the size of your rivets on both sides (I use 3,2mm rivets)

Liner3.png

Liner4.png

3. Test fit and drill a hole on one side of the helmet. Make sure the Liner is pressed a bit against the inside of the dome so it sits a bit tight.

Liner5.png

Liner6.png

4. Fix the rivet on one side using a washer. Test fit again and find the corresponding spot on the other side. It's round about vice versa but may differ by a few millimeters.

5. And et voilá you're done :)

Liner7.png

• Like 4

So I've seen the question on how to install the Liner coming up from time to time and I thought I quickly show the process:

pfft .. and after i go and glue my headband, you want to go and post a how to ... lol :P

better late than never, huh? :)

i might use this method on my second build

when looking at the screen used helmet i was thinking the excess tab needed to be removed ... but, even though i didnt remove that portion .. it still worked good.

thanks .. :duim:

• Like 1

pfft .. and after i go and glue my headband, you want to go and post a how to ... lol :P

better late than never, huh? :)

i might use this method on my second build

when looking at the screen used helmet i was thinking the excess tab needed to be removed ... but, even though i didnt remove that portion .. it still worked good.

thanks .. :duim:

Haha, yeah my bad for not anticipating that but you said it better late than never ;-)

The screen-used liners differed in that small detail meaning they did not have the excess loop to cut down. You can leave it on but it makes it more difficult to reach the screw from the bolt and it may push down on your ear when wearing the helmet.

Cheers

Sorry, missed that question...yes, the same on both sides.

Thanks for the reply. Getting ready to tackle the chest/back armor, just working up my nerve.

Thanks for the reply. Getting ready to tackle the chest/back armor, just working up my nerve.

Uses finger and pushes you in the pool

You will be fine just take it slow and be methodical. You've been doing solid research and we're here to help so go for it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is the front flap in the pouches two layers of fabric sewn together or just one?