Alex's Shoretrooper Squad Leader Build

LTCAlex

Hey Alex, glad to see you back at it! Here are a few pics of what you should be aiming for as far as where the shin plate sits. Also, keep in mind if you decide to trim, how the back strip goes all the way down:

4d10417a898751a71543fe6c46e90a87.jpg

8a04cfc15a0b53e665717cda47bdf473.jpg

149d6e28f1709ac4c80d2cb49634f22b.jpg

578e3f26a458ca0d10202c9bc9e5078a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LTCAlex said:

Unfortunately the lighting didn't cooperate so I put a green line where the space is near the bottom. It's not too much from looking straight at it. I just measured the visual - where those green lines are - with a ruler and, on both shins, it's half an inch from the bottom of the guard down to the bottom of the plate on both shins, going on a strictly visual "looking at it from the front" basis. (Hopefully this all makes sense.)

leg fit test 2a.jpg

You might want to move the front plates down a tad instead of trimming the base. It's hard to tell without the top details installed as those might add more height.

The shins look a bit wide too. Do they feel very lose? 

• Thanks 1

@KOtrooper I glued the front plates on already - I guess I can try prying them off?

And yes, they're pretty wide/loose on me. I was planning on filling the space with foam. Do I have to make them smaller to be approvable?

@Minimo Awesome, thanks for all the reference pictures! I've got the cover strips coming in the mail right now and I'll be sure to keep that in mind. With possibly moving 

Your shins are really wide fitting especially at the bottom. The covers are also too high up. Hopefully you used e-6000 so you can peel them off. Start at the bottom and apply gentle pressure as it lifts you can cut into the glue to help it come apart, sometimes a little low heat will soften and help should lift up. 

What references are you following? Someone’s build? Rogue One Screen shots? The costume display photos? 

Here is a link to how the Imperial Surplus kit is put together. The kit is somewhat different than yours but similar but should offer some helpful guidance. Also it’s the tank commander build but they are very similar overall, mostly just minor details are different. I recommend watching all 16 videos and referencing back to each as you work on each section. I’d caution against CA Glue used as that’s permanent and for very experienced builders only as there is no room for error. Stick with e-6000 as it can be taken apart.

As I tell anyone building, getting a kit is only half the work, reference and  research is the other half. I have 11 approved costumes and with each I spent easily a month or more researching the costume, studying photos from screen grabs to dozens of build treads. Search for assembly videos if possible. I collect hundreds of reference photos and organize them into each part and I study those as I work on each part. Triple checking all the references I have. 

if in doubt ask questions, and generally if you’re unsure, get a couple rolls of painters masking tape. And assemble a pieces with a ton of tape and post a photo for opinions. 

The 850 kit is from what I’ve seen quite large. I had their shin to use for my Mandalorian and I had to trim the hell out of it to make it work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TKZombie said:

Your shins are really wide fitting especially at the bottom. The covers are also too high up. Hopefully you used e-6000 so you can peel them off. Start at the bottom and apply gentle pressure as it lifts you can cut into the glue to help it come apart, sometimes a little low heat will soften and help should lift up. 

What references are you following? Someone’s build? Rogue One Screen shots? The costume display photos? 

Here is a link to how the Imperial Surplus kit is put together. The kit is somewhat different than yours but similar but should offer some helpful guidance. Also it’s the tank commander build but they are very similar overall, mostly just minor details are different. I recommend watching all 16 videos and referencing back to each as you work on each section. I’d caution against CA Glue used as that’s permanent and for very experienced builders only as there is no room for error. Stick with e-6000 as it can be taken apart.

As I tell anyone building, getting a kit is only half the work, reference and  research is the other half. I have 11 approved costumes and with each I spent easily a month or more researching the costume, studying photos from screen grabs to dozens of build treads. Search for assembly videos if possible. I collect hundreds of reference photos and organize them into each part and I study those as I work on each part. Triple checking all the references I have. 

if in doubt ask questions, and generally if you’re unsure, get a couple rolls of painters masking tape. And assemble a pieces with a ton of tape and post a photo for opinions. 

The 850 kit is from what I’ve seen quite large. I had their shin to use for my Mandalorian and I had to trim the hell out of it to make it work. 

850 Armor Works has assembly videos on Youtube that I've been watching and following as well as any advice and pics posted here. I've also been studying the CRL as I go. :) I didn't use E6000 but that's only because it wasn't working for me. I switched to a superglue/accelerant I found at Canadian Tire that's done wonders for me, but hopefully I should be able to pry them off and try again.

Seriously though - thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep what you said in mind.

[Edit: So it looks like I can pry the plates right off. I'll do that tomorrow and start over again!

Guess I'll have to figure out how to trim them so they fit better around the bottom though? Will happily take any advice on how to do that.]

I never heard issues with e-6000. Was it really old? Are you use the right type? There are different kinds out there. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Eclectic-Craft-329321/dp/B00VA92TEA/ref=asc_df_B00VA92TEA/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292939360209&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2709836071801764152&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000837&hvtargid=pla-397674305925&psc=1

are you using enough? I apply a heavy application bead around the whole perimeter and then zig-zap back forth in the middle top to bottom.

do you sand both pieces so the have some rough texture to help adhere? 80 or 100 grit for that. 

you should apply to both pieces and wait a minute to set up them press together and clamp, tape and magnet for 24 hours to dry. 

I’d caution against superglue as separating pieces is generally impossible and often breaks the abs if pried on. Unless you are a really experienced builder and know exactly where pieces go I’d highly caution against it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TKZombie I was using the exact one you linked to, and I did plenty of sanding, but I dunno? Maybe I just did it all wrong. It's very likely, I'm good at that. 

I did a dry test-fit of my pants, kama, boots, gloves, and taped-together leg armour, just to see if maybe I don't need to pry my leg armour apart anyway? From the front the bottom of the front-plate does indeed meet the bottom of the main armour. I was wrong before. It looks like, with everything on and taped up at the back, things look better?

I wanted to see if I still need to fix anything?

BbINDB7.jpg

o1VWEee.jpg 

e-6000 takes a good 24 hours to cure and that time might be longer depending on the weather. I'd stick (ha!) with it as it is very forgiving if you need to pry the items apart.

The most recent photos do look better as far as proportions and fit. Can you take in the width at all? Possibly pry off the armor detail in the front and overlap the armor and see how it fits/looks.

As is, you should be passible for basic with your local GML.

Question: my shin armor rests on my boots whereas yours doesn't. Are you using foam to wedge them on your legs or are they resting on your boots?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KOtrooper said:

Question: my shin armor rests on my boots whereas yours doesn't. Are you using foam to wedge them on your legs or are they resting on your boots?

They're resting on my boots, they just don't really look it. I was planning on using foam a bit down the line though, mostly at the top, but I'll put some at the bottom as well if need be.

8 minutes ago, KOtrooper said:

The most recent photos do look better as far as proportions and fit. Can you take in the width at all? Possibly pry off the armor detail in the front and overlap the armor and see how it fits/looks.

I tried prying the front off but unfortunately it doesn't seem like I'll be able to without damaging the detail. I'm not aiming for any level above basic however, so I don't really care if it wouldn't pass any higher. I'll be honest, I just wanna be a shiny plastic spaceman with a pew pew blaster and awesome helmet/armour.

9 minutes ago, KOtrooper said:

e-6000 takes a good 24 hours to cure and that time might be longer depending on the weather. I'd stick (ha!) with it as it is very forgiving if you need to pry the items apart.

I'll need to buy a couple more tubes of it then, as the one I was using was almost empty. I just hope that it'll decide to work for me? I'd really like it to. I don't like the notion of making mistakes and not being able to fix them, it's just that it wasn't working for me earlier after multiple attempts and I gave up on it because superglue actually does work. Bleeeeeeh.

• Like 1

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dupli-color-perfect-match-paint-light-blue-metallic-21-wa7470-0472707p.html#srp

For the blue paint, since I can't seem to find any of the suggestions on the forum for the blue, do you guys think this would work?

Hey Alex, here is a list of paints and places you can find them. Remember that for the blue you likely want to hit it with a black overspray and a grey weathering spray too. Those will help knocking down some of the brightness of the blue...

Recommended Shoretrooper Paints:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/19926-recommended-shoretrooper-paints/

This is where i got my blue:

https://www.myperfectcolor.com/paint/20765-porter-paints-6467-2-nordic-blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Hey Alex, 

Looking at how you've got your shins on, they appear too long to me.  Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, though?
The tops of the shin armor (not the outer detail) should be somewhere at the bottom of your kneecap when your leg is straight.  It looks like the entire top part of the shin armor covers your entire knee.  In the pic below, the green line represents roughly where the top of the shin armor is.  Look closely, and you'll see that it is slightly below the center of where the diamond knee patch is.  This is where the knee bends.
50992355018_3ff98087a3_o.jpg50993050611_899faf315b_z.jpg

Another reference shot.  

50993050696_bf2df70111_c.jpg

Again, it could be the pics, but compared to the reference images, your breeches look really big, like the legs could be taken in a bit.  Maybe someone else could chime in here?  

Please don't get discouraged!!!  You're doing great- we're all here to help you look your best.  :)  

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:07 AM, Cricket said:

It looks like the entire top part of the shin armor covers your entire knee.

That's very true, it does cover my whole knee! I can probably trim off at least half to three quarters of an inch at the bottom of both shins and have it look better? I won't do any trimming until I get some more confirmation from you guys though?

Plus all my stuff arrived! Only...I just noticed that where the shoulder straps end on the back plate - that little enclosure thingy - isn't on my plate and isn't in the box so I'll have to make it? I dunno. 😮 Another wrinkle in this armour, BLAH.

If the return edge on the bottom of the shins is still present you should remove that first so your shins will sit lower on your boots.

qq1lmqv.jpg

Since the shins are curved to match the shape of your legs and boots you don’t want to remove too much from the bottom. If you need to shorten them more you can cut a piece from the area which will be behind the upper strap. Any seam will be hidden by that strap. I did that in my BSP build.

• Thanks 1

Okay, so, bit of an update.

1. Helmet arrived and it was a) unwearably small, b) missing the critical detail between helmet and blast shield, and c) missing the black under the visor. So I'mma try to sell it to recoup at least some of the cost and I ordered an Imperial Surplus helmet kit instead, which I'm waiting for right now. I left a review on the dude's Etsy page.

(Pic for having pic in post.)

jfdkVy7.jpg

2. I rediscovered my father's dremel and it's gonna go a LONG way to helping me trim off flash from the plates and probably significantly shorten my build. Currently working on that right now. It's not as exciting but omg it feels so much better to be doing than any hand sanding. I hate the noise though! Blech. Will take pictures once that's all done and good for and do another fit-test as well. Maybe something'll change? 🤷‍♀️ I dunno! Guess we'll see. I still hate sanding though - the dremel makes such a nasty noise but man I'm getting it all done faster now.

26 minutes ago, LTCAlex said:

So I'mma try to sell it to recoup at least some of the cost and I ordered an Imperial Surplus helmet kit instead, which I'm waiting for right now. I left a review on the dude's Etsy page.

You were much kinder in that review than I would have been. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Cricket said:

You were much kinder in that review than I would have been. :lol:

I've been accused of being too nice many times in my life. :D I just don't like creating bad blood if I don't have to. 

Minor update: just ordered Montana Gold Mt. Everest, as recommended in the virtual armour party to me, for the blue. 

• Like 2

In the interests of remaining accountable, minor update:

- Dremeled a bit on the forearms and decided that I'm gonna glue only one side and velcro the other, because I tried slipping my gloved hand through the front and it barely fit, which doesn't lend itself to sliding on and off. I'm surprised, really, but eh, that's how the cookie crumbles I guess!

- Gonna carefully measure out and trace the amount of trimming I have to do on the shin armour. Measure 10 times cut once - just like sewing! (I'm out of practice, heh, but hope to pick it up again sometime soon...) Thinking I might go by half an inch? Or should I only do a quarter?

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you put the gloves on after putting on the forearm.  It should be kind of smallish around the wrist (if I've read right).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cricket said:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you put the gloves on after putting on the forearm.  It should be kind of smallish around the wrist (if I've read right).  

Oh! Okay, cool. Good to know. Thanks.

Think I'll still go the velcro route though, just for comfort's sake.

• Like 1

Don’t trim to fit your arm pieces until you have the actual shirt you’re wearing. Trim to for over that. 

The forearms should be closed. You slide your hand through and put your glove with hand plates on afterwards 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TKZombie said:

Don’t trim to fit your arm pieces until you have the actual shirt you’re wearing. Trim to for over that. 

The forearms should be closed. You slide your hand through and put your glove with hand plates on afterwards 

Oh! Okay! Gotcha. Thanks. Guess I'll wait for my undershirt to get here then!

Checked in with my undershirt/neckseal vendor and she's a bit delayed at the moment due to Darth Real Life so not sure when I'll be getting that stuff. That said, since I do have my pants, I'll focus on getting my shins in good shape, since I should have my undershirt to do chest/back/biceps/shoulders/forearms. 

...jeez, that's a lot of it. >_> Ah well, nothing to be done I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow, as my upper-half is still paused until I get my undershirt/neckseal, and the rough combo of depression kicking my ass and other IRL stuff happening to distract me. I wanted to do SOMETHING, though, so I did this. I taped up the half-inch on the bottom of my left shin that I think I need to trim so that you guys could tell me if I should continue with the right shin as well. It's also exactly half an inch at the bottom.

Here's pics:

Q9pvjeS.jpg

(Cleaner bottle just to prop up the shin.) Distance shot. Do pardon the ugly carpet (blech, I hate this stupid carpet.)

9NCbMRH.jpg

Zoom-in for detail.