Alex's Shoretrooper Squad Leader Build

LTCAlex

Hey all,

Don't have much in the way of pics yet but I just bought the unfinished armour from a Garrison-mate on the Canadian Garrison forum, which is currently on the way to my house. Last night I bought the Orca Bay Brecon boots and hopefully they'll be here soon. That's about it for progress right now but as soon as there are things to take pics of I will do so and upload accordingly! :) Not sure how finished or unfinished the armour is but I guess I'll see when it gets here. Things I need:

1. Helmet (aiming to get a finished one from somewhere but I dunno I guess I'll figure something out)

2. Undershirt

3. Jodhpurs

4. Kama (for squad leader)

5. I know a blaster isn't required for base approval but I really want one so one of those too

There's a Garrison-mate (another one) who's pro at sewing things (they've made my clone trooper neck seal and several things for other members of the Garrison) so I'm hoping they'll be able to help me with all the soft parts, but if that doesn't work out I'll just order from somewhere.

Aaaaaand that's the plan. If anyone has a finished helmet they wanna get rid of I'm your woman (provided you'll ship to Canada, which is always a thing) or any other hints/tips/suggestions, I will gladly take them with thanks much in advance. This is going to be a deliberate slow-build, as due to finances I'll have to take it one at a time, but I'm hoping along the way I'll be able to find used or B-grade whatevers like I did for my TIE Pilot. 

• Like 2

Welcome Alexandra! The ST is probably my favorite costume to come out of all the most recent SW works. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/696153641/star-wars-shoretrooper-helmet-cosplay?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shoretrooper&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&cns=1

Found this on Etsy: any thoughts? Yay nay? Looks good to me but I'm not rushing anything right now.

(Well maybe I am just a little bit. >_> I kinda sorta really love the shoretrooper not gonna lie.)

BBB day! :D I am so excited! I don't even know what all the parts are yet but weeeeee! I have a whole lot of work to do. Don't even know where to start. I still need to get so many things.

bbb daye.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:00 PM, LTCAlex said:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/696153641/star-wars-shoretrooper-helmet-cosplay?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shoretrooper&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&cns=1

Found this on Etsy: any thoughts? Yay nay? Looks good to me but I'm not rushing anything right now.

(Well maybe I am just a little bit. >_> I kinda sorta really love the shoretrooper not gonna lie.)

Okay so I ordered it. :) 

Ordered six spraycans of the Montana Gold Sahara Beige paint as well as one can of the Toyota Red one. The Montanas will be coming in the mail and I'll be going to pick the Red up from a local store. I've made a few inquiries about the undershirt/jodhpurs/kama but have only heard back from two of them and local Garrison-mate hasn't gotten back to me. Hoping I can find an affordable source, as while I do know how to sew and have a machine, my usual sewing location has been taken up by something else and is thus not available for use.

Sooooo, yeah.

Maybe give the Shoretrooper Soft Armor Forum a look through? You might find some more resources there for vendors.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/forum/153-shoretrooper-soft-parts/

Looks like you’re moving right along with the armor and paint! Keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

Red paint acquired!

2 hours ago, Retrofire said:

Maybe give the Shoretrooper Soft Armor Forum a look through? You might find some more resources there for vendors.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/forum/153-shoretrooper-soft-parts/

Looks like you’re moving right along with the armor and paint! Keep up the great work!

Thanks - I'll check them out! :)

red spraypainte.jpg

24 minutes ago, LTCAlex said:

Red paint acquired!

Thanks - I'll check them out! :)

There's also the vendor list!

I have the Imperial Boots top and Darkside closet trousers.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

There's also the vendor list!

I have the Imperial Boots top and Darkside closet trousers.

I've looked at both of those! Got a quote from Darkside. IB's super pricey for me. I also got recommended a Canadian vendor so I sent her a message (no messy exchange rate to deal with) but she hasn't messaged me back yet. Considering going with Darkside unless I get more responses. :)

Just now, LTCAlex said:

I've looked at both of those! Got a quote from Darkside. IB's super pricey for me. I also got recommended a Canadian vendor so I sent her a message (no messy exchange rate to deal with) but she hasn't messaged me back yet. Considering going with Darkside unless I get more responses. :)

Compared to Sheev's Emporium (around $300), IB is pretty reasonable and their newest version also meets the Level 2 requirements.  But everyone has different needs!  I've seen a few folks do it themselves or find close-enough alternatives.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

Compared to Sheev's Emporium (around $300), IB is pretty reasonable and their newest version also meets the Level 2 requirements.  But everyone has different needs!  I've seen a few folks do it themselves or find close-enough alternatives.  

That's a good point - I'll check IB again! Thank you.

2 hours ago, LTCAlex said:

That's a good point - I'll check IB again! Thank you.

I was just in there looking to a suit fir a buddy and they are out till feb 5, they do it every year for the holidays though so don’t worry, they will be back at it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lucasfan7 said:

I was just in there looking to a suit fir a buddy and they are out till feb 5, they do it every year for the holidays though so don’t worry, they will be back at it. 

I'm gonna go with the Canadian vendor, Geeky Pink's Phantastic Gaskets (https://www.facebook.com/GeekyPinksPhantasticGaskets/) for the shirt/neckseal, and she told me she'd get back to me if she could make the pants. Might go with IB for the pants, though, if she can't...I'll see!

On another note, since the blue spraypaint's not available in North America, I was thinking of this as a possibility? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dupli-color-perfect-match-paint-light-blue-metallic-21-wa7470-0472707p.html?rrec=true#spc

I guess I have a bit of a "stupid newbie" question but - where should I start? 

[Edit: Haha never mind, found their youtube channel. This is already easier than doing my clone trooper, which has been nothing but a struggle. >_<]

Second attempt at gluing legs together due to Gorilla Glue not cooperating. Switched to E6000 and will probably need to buy more at some point. >_< Not too worried about duct tape residue because I'm sure I can sand any away if I need to.

gluing legs 2e.jpg

• Like 1

If that doesn't work try ABS cement.  That fuses the plastic together. 

• Thanks 1

I've been using the old e6000 as well on any parts that my flex. It's been more that a few years, and my TD is still holding together .. lol

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 1/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, BikerScout007 said:

If that doesn't work try ABS cement.  That fuses the plastic together. 

I might just have to take you up on that suggestion. E6000 seems to be laughing at my pathetic attempts to join two pieces of plastic together. 😂

gluing legs 3e.jpg

On 1/23/2021 at 9:55 PM, LTCAlex said:

Second attempt at gluing legs together due to Gorilla Glue not cooperating. Switched to E6000 and will probably need to buy more at some point. >_< Not too worried about duct tape residue because I'm sure I can sand any away if I need to.

gluing legs 2e.jpg

You might already be on it, but before sanding any residue, I would recommend wiping it down with something like WD40 first.  There's nothing like damage to make me hate rushing on my projects and having to take more time and fix more stuff.

• Thanks 1

Hey, do you own any magnets for your build?  They can make all the difference when it comes to clamping parts together with e6000.  You can never have too many sets!  E6000 is the only stuff I've ever used to build armor (my ST is kit #5 that I've built!).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, troygordon2 said:

You might already be on it, but before sanding any residue, I would recommend wiping it down with something like WD40 first.  There's nothing like damage to make me hate rushing on my projects and having to take more time and fix more stuff.

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware you could use WD40 for that! 

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

Hey, do you own any magnets for your build?  They can make all the difference when it comes to clamping parts together with e6000.  You can never have too many sets!  E6000 is the only stuff I've ever used to build armor (my ST is kit #5 that I've built!).

I do not but they've been suggested to me - will definitely plan on acquiring them sometime soon - thank you!

29 minutes ago, LTCAlex said:

Thanks for the tip! I wasn't aware you could use WD40 for that! 

Yup.  WD40 is a powerful solvent, really good at removing the sticky stuff.  And one can never have a proper home or house without it!  What would your door hinges do?  Make sure its the WD40 though, not all lubricants will provide the same solvent effect.

• Thanks 1