Alex's Shoretrooper Squad Leader Build

LTCAlex

Are you sanding the areas the e6000 is being applied to first? You need to rough the surface on each side for better adhesion. Also your applying the e6000 to both pieces and let them sit for about a minute before sticking them together? Be overly generous with the amount you apply as well. 

Its worth investing in multiple clamps, some with longer reach as well as a dozen or more 3/4” or 1” diameter neodymium magnets. You want to try to provide as even pressure across the whole surface as possible. 

Who made the kit? 850 armour works, Imperial Surplus? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TKZombie said:

Are you sanding the areas the e6000 is being applied to first? You need to rough the surface on each side for better adhesion. Also your applying the e6000 to both pieces and let them sit for about a minute before sticking them together? Be overly generous with the amount you apply as well. 

Its worth investing in multiple clamps, some with longer reach as well as a dozen or more 3/4” or 1” diameter neodymium magnets. You want to try to provide as even pressure across the whole surface as possible. 

Who made the kit? 850 armour works, Imperial Surplus? 

Yup, I did a fair amount of sanding! I didn't know about the sitting in the air part though - 😮 Thanks for the info!

Yup, gonna try to find some magnets for sure!

It's an 850 Armour Works kit.

E6000's failed me and for various reasons I must wait a bit until I can get any ABS cement. Progress is stymied and that's depressing. Sigh. So much for a rolling start on this.

Today's progress: shoes arrived (and they fit pretty well, woot) and one shin-guard-thingy trimmed (hopefully not too much. I don't think I could handle it if I did it wrong. Taking the rest of the night off because I'm depressed and scared I'll mess up. Confidence has taken a hit. Sigh.)

[Edit: Forgot to mention that I've confirmed I'm on Geeky Pink's Phantastic Gaskets list for a shirt/neck seal. I had a name recommended to me for the pants so I'm gonna fire them a message ASAP.]

shoes shine.jpg

Alex you’re doing a fantastic job and the fact that your updating your WIP regularly will help keep you on track and get you any feedback or Q&A you need. You’re asking all the right questions and you’re in good hands with the armorers. Keep the questions coming and when in doubt ask. You’ll be fine!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AradunFF said:

Alex you’re doing a fantastic job and the fact that your updating your WIP regularly will help keep you on track and get you any feedback or Q&A you need. You’re asking all the right questions and you’re in good hands with the armorers. Keep the questions coming and when in doubt ask. You’ll be fine!

Thank you so much for this. I really needed to hear it. When my clone trooper got put on kinda-sorta indefinite pause due to covid my confidence in that costume really sunk too. Thankfully the Garrison-mate helping me with that has reassured me he's here until the end so that buoyed me up a bit, and your message has really helped too. :)❤️ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTCAlex said:

I would ask for some actual photos of the printed parts before buying.  I'm always a little wary of those who don't share images of what they have on hand or of previous builds.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cricket said:

I would ask for some actual photos of the printed parts before buying.  I'm always a little wary of those who don't share images of what they have on hand or of previous builds.

Will do - thanks for the advice!

[Edit: Fired off a message! Waiting for response.]

• Like 1

If you do get pictures, make sure to compare them with the CRL requirements for the blaster to make sure everything is in order. Not all vendors are equal. Some require minor mods others major mods to meet the CRL. You’re laying out a nice chunk of change so make sure you are getting what you need to minimize your work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AradunFF said:

If you do get pictures, make sure to compare them with the CRL requirements for the blaster to make sure everything is in order. Not all vendors are equal. Some require minor mods others major mods to meet the CRL. You’re laying out a nice chunk of change so make sure you are getting what you need to minimize your work.

Will do! :)

Those pics he posted...  I see that the blaster is missing the cocking lever on the barrel (I don't know the actual name of the part, sorry!), and the counter looks... weird?  I don't know if that would need to be swapped out or not.  It's not a Hengstler counter that is typically seen on the E-22s.  Maybe someone with a little more blaster knowledge can chime in here.  It's not mentioned what print files are being used (i.e., who made them).

On the finished blaster pics, I still see a ton of print lines.  If that's the "best work", I'd be cautious.   So keep in mind that if you buy the DIY assembly kit, you're going to need to do a lot of sanding/finish work on those parts.  But if you don't mind that kind of work, then no worries!  :) 

Full disclosure:  I printed my own E-22 and I didn't get too picky about print lines on it!  However, if I was paying someone for the parts- especially what that kit is being sold for in PLA- I would expect more.  And if I was selling kits for that price, I certainly would make sure that the print lines on the parts were much less.  

• Thanks 1

I agree, that does not look like a Hengstler counter. The print lines are also a big issue, it should not be approvable like this. Some minor print lines you could hide with some weathering, but this is too excessive. I also wonder how strong this blaster will be. The E-22 is a big blaster, without some internal reinforcement it might break easily.

Have a look at 3DPropsNL.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cricket said:

Those pics he posted...  I see that the blaster is missing the cocking lever on the barrel (I don't know the actual name of the part, sorry!), and the counter looks... weird?  I don't know if that would need to be swapped out or not.  It's not a Hengstler counter that is typically seen on the E-22s.  Maybe someone with a little more blaster knowledge can chime in here.  It's not mentioned what print files are being used (i.e., who made them).

On the finished blaster pics, I still see a ton of print lines.  If that's the "best work", I'd be cautious.   So keep in mind that if you buy the DIY assembly kit, you're going to need to do a lot of sanding/finish work on those parts.  But if you don't mind that kind of work, then no worries!  :) 

Full disclosure:  I printed my own E-22 and I didn't get too picky about print lines on it!  However, if I was paying someone for the parts- especially what that kit is being sold for in PLA- I would expect more.  And if I was selling kits for that price, I certainly would make sure that the print lines on the parts were much less.  

3 hours ago, ScaryGuy said:

I agree, that does not look like a Hengstler counter. The print lines are also a big issue, it should not be approvable like this. Some minor print lines you could hide with some weathering, but this is too excessive. I also wonder how strong this blaster will be. The E-22 is a big blaster, without some internal reinforcement it might break easily.

Have a look at 3DPropsNL.

Thanks guys - I'll look at 3DPropsNL!

Blaster update: might be able to get a Garrison-mate to print it out for me. Casting out feelers right now and seeing who bites.

Did a bit of minor trimming of the shin-guard thingies last night, planning on doing some more tonight. Will take pics whenever I get around to it! In order to do more gluing will have to wait until I can order rare-earth magnets and some more E6000. Will just keep trimming away at whatever until then I guess. 🤷‍♀️

[Edit: Garrison-mate has added my E22 to his queue! Blaster lined up. :)]

• Like 1

Jodhpur/kama update: have asked Steven Walker (from the vendors list on Shoretrooper Fam on FB and recommended to me by Garrison-mate Christina) to make me my jodhpurs/kama! Woot! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LTCAlex said:

Me waiting for all my shoretrooper stuff to arrive in the mail:

The struggle is real! May your BBB day come soon trooper!

• Like 1

FINALLY was able to order the parts I need to finish this build - now I just need to get extra strong magnets and some more glue and I should be set...mostly. Still need to get the proper gloves and a belt sorted but that can wait a bit for my wallet to recharge. @_@

• Like 2

Endor Finders has great Shoretrooper gloves.

You can sew your own belt with two strips of 1.5" nylon webbing (zig zag stitch). 

I don't know if you have craft stores like Michaels/Joanns/Hobby Lobby up in Canada but they always have 40% off coupons. I use that to buy my e6000 glue (to save some cash).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KOtrooper said:

Endor Finders has great Shoretrooper gloves.

You can sew your own belt with two strips of 1.5" nylon webbing (zig zag stitch). 

I don't know if you have craft stores like Michaels/Joanns/Hobby Lobby up in Canada but they always have 40% off coupons. I use that to buy my e6000 glue (to save some cash).

Yup, EF is where I plan to order my gloves. It's just that shipping and exchange are so stupid right now that, having ordered the armour parts I need, I need to wait a bit for more money to come in. Blech!

Yeah, I might resort to that. My sewing machine is temporarily unavailable (as my usual sewing area is occupied at the moment) so looks like I might have to do it by hand. Yuck.

Yup, we have Michaels, and I didn't even think of that - thanks! I'll be sure to check 'em out.