Mountain Trooper costume draft

BikerScout007

I could probably model something up real quick this afternoon. That way it can be scaled like you said. It's a really easy straight shape.
I'm gonna owe 3d guy some beer

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BikerScout007 said:

And the knee armor....

Yup. I'll have to figure out a good way to attach them together so they're stronger than the Shore knees but I'll figure something out and see what everyone thinks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrPoopie said:

Yup. I'll have to figure out a good way to attach them together so they're stronger than the Shore knees but I'll figure something out and see what everyone thinks.

Hey man, that tape you put on there for the Hollywood parade held up really well :D

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

Hey man, that tape you put on there for the Hollywood parade held up really well :D

That's amazing and terrible at the same time. 

• Haha 1

Just now, heartstopper85 said:

Is 1/4in foam thick enough to put the duck cloth over for the faulds?

I think 1/4" is fine but you might want to use something like batting instead so it's not super rigid. Just my opinion. The canvas or duck cloth is already pretty rigid and stiff so you mostly need to fill it out so it's thicker with the fill material. a couple of layers of duck cloth and a layer or two of batting then another couple layers of duck cloth will give you something really sturdy but still flexible enough that you could roll it up if you tried.

• Like 1

It needs to be substantial enough that the stitch lines can be seen easily.   I agree with @MrPoopie that batting is probably the way to go, similar to our Scout cummerbunds.  

My other thought is that these could be leather which would give the flexibility and also be able to cut the detail work into it. Either a thick piece of leather or a couple pieces glued/stitched together.

On a  different note, are those straps on the shins 1.5" wide?

On a  different note, are those straps on the shins 1.5" wide?
That's what I used because kbs shin plates are huge

If we make it smaller I'll probably have to go to 1inch

Made em out of same material as fotk belt

That's what I used because kbs shin plates are huge

If we make it smaller I'll probably have to go to 1inch

Made em out of same material as fotk belt

Ok, I"ll build as if they're 1" or 1.25" , I'll have to see what looks best.

My other thought is that these could be leather which would give the flexibility and also be able to cut the detail work into it. Either a thick piece of leather or a couple pieces glued/stitched together.
My thought was to use Worbla for the hip armor
Than etch the details in. I guess this is similar to your idea with leather.

I don't think its raised plates like on shoretrooper. But I think you need something rigid but not abs plastic

Worbla I think is probably a good material

Ok, I"ll build as if they're 1" or 1.25" , I'll have to see what looks best.
My guess is on 1in there 4 straps in total if you need any more pics I have figure on handa2034380e6121d42d5c81bcef5b4a7dc.jpgd3e8c854ea5a9e139c6c7e420c33e6e6.jpg36399f8d611ac33a1bd2fe19b98a6484.jpg

• Thanks 1

My thought was to use Worbla for the hip armor
Than etch the details in. I guess this is similar to your idea with leather.

I don't think its raised plates like on shoretrooper. But I think you need something rigid but not abs plastic

Worbla I think is probably a good material

This maybe a good compromise, I'd be curious to see it. Regardless I'm confident that it's not a solid being of ABS like the Shore.

• Like 1

Shin.

Still need to do the knee.

49782643962_d4840a8642_b.jpg

• Like 1

I measure my own shin and also my Patrol trooper shin, which is very similar. It really seems like it's a 1.5" strap but when you get the spacing right it makes the whole things much more compact like it should be. It's roughly 25cm from top to bottom which puts it below my knee and several inches up from where my ankle breaks. I do have long legs though and tried to take a bit more off after I measured. Being a printable model people could adjust it slightly to allow for a little bit shorter if needed but you'll also need to widen the strap cutouts or taper your strap ends ever so slightly.

That would be a pretty thick piece of Worbla, as the fauld looks to be about 1/2 inch thick   

1 hour ago, MrPoopie said:

Shin.

Still need to do the knee.

49782643962_d4840a8642_b.jpg

My man!  You never fail to impress

• Thanks 1

That would be a pretty thick piece of Worbla, as the fauld looks to be about 1/2 inch thick   
My worbla should be in today I'll take some pics

Wondering if maybe the foam ones I have now could be modded they are pretty close to 1/2 just need details etched instead of plates

I know when I run my finger on the toy you can feel the etch it's not at all like the shoretrooper with raised plates but I'm with dsc and not convinced about sewing details

To me it makes more sense if it's fabric.  This guy is a climber, he needs to be as mobile as possible.  It's very easy to sew those outlines in if there's enough batting.  We do the same thing with the Scout cummerbunds.  

5 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

To me it makes more sense if it's fabric.  This guy is a climber, he needs to be as mobile as possible.  It's very easy to sew those outlines in if there's enough batting.  We do the same thing with the Scout cummerbunds.  

While I agree with fabric, I think their concern is that  the "grooves" are a bit wide and would take a tight double stitched line to make them seem like a "canyon" instead of just a simple sewing line. It's not impossible just not a normal technique that most people know how to do.