Mountain Trooper costume draft

BikerScout007

Thanks Dustin and KB Props for helping us get this done. I want to use this thread to critique the draft CRL costume that will be used for photos. 84635abb0ccf98476065e3e9e5d91b44.jpg251f26fd96fc0872b2ed3dc120484326.jpg4ab0ee476c5b34cbabcf79f548006e27.jpgbe8e3118a3b2bbcc971f58e2feda4147.jpg6a1ede59eb79c52afd9419397d1bd406.jpg

I'm getting the shin guards redone by kb they are bit too big.
The pouches I'd like to come up with an answer by monday morning so I can send back to dsc I agree the pouch is too big

The belt boxes are 6cm wide and I think it about 2 belt boxes wide an a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Great.  My thought on the shin guards are that the knee plates should be attached.  Just like on the Shoretrooper.

You already know my thoughts on the pouches.  Id like to see those in a smaller size

The faulds -- the detail seems to be made by adding a small piece of fabric/foam to the top of the fauld.  On the figure it looks like this detail is etched/sewn into the fauld.  So we need to tweak that some.

The Biceps seem a bit wide?   Can we make them fit you a little better?

But yeah I can take in the biceps a bit I think. Luckily I only used e6k

Not sure how i feel about the knees i like them separate for mobility but shoudlnt be hard to attach with some scrap abs to make a bridge or maybe kb will just resculpt that part unless someone can make a 3d printable part that can be scaled depending on the person

2 hours ago, heartstopper85 said:

What's a fauld

"Faulds are pieces of plate armour worn below a breastplate to protect the waist and hips"

• Thanks 1

A direct comparison, there does appear there are a few areas which would need reducing in size. As well as some other things which have been metioned the black strip on the ab plate appears a little large

mount2.png

A nice side shot showing the curved faulds and how high they sit on the leg, quite a lot higher than the knees.

Mountain Trooper First Order 4-Pack

A direct comparison, there does appear there are a few areas which would need reducing in size. As well as some other things which have been metioned the black strip on the ab plate appears a little large

mount2.png.9d9f975cea185c0651d31d7a8f795f9a.png

A nice side shot showing the curved faulds
Mountain-Troper-The-First-Order-4-Pack-10.jpg
Used the same ab as the shoretrooper.

Do the shoretroopers have to mod their ab? My shore was Jim so this has been my first time working with kbs stuff

I know when I I the shoretrooper figure next to the mountain trooper the ab was 100% the same.

Getting new biceps printed from a friend. The shin guards are getting redone and the pouches I think I'm going with 6x9 I'm mailing items tomorrow to darkside closet for adjustments.

54 minutes ago, heartstopper85 said:

Used the same ab as the shoretrooper.

Do the shoretroopers have to mod their ab? My shore was Jim so this has been my first time working with kbs stuff

I know when I I the shoretrooper figure next to the mountain trooper the ab was 100% the same.

It's really up to the DL, I guess the issue is reference material and if the DL wants to use comparison armor as a guide as at the moment you only really have the figure to go off.

One of the other things is the figure appears to have pants with a pattern so not sure if that will be an issue.

• Like 1

It really depends on the maker.  Some are more accurate than others.  I have the KW (Imperial Surplus) Shoretrooper kit and no adjustments are needed there.

But yes, ideally we want to bring the ab as close to the Shoretrooper as possible, as that is our best reference for it.

Another thing that might help -- make sure you get your belt on your waist and not sitting on your hips.  That will help bring up the ab and the faulds and we can get a better idea of where adjustments need to be made.

The pants texture -- I just took to mean it was a heavy duty fabric like duck cloth.  It's not the kind of thing we would get too specific on for a Level 1.  We'll be looking for a black jodhpur first and foremost.  

I know this is a lot and we still have a way to go here, but the progress you and KB have made so far has been amazing.  It's never easy being the first at any costume, and this one in particular is challenging.  But if we want the LMO team to approve this for trooping, we've got to get these little details right!  

I do have a thought about the boot.  If you look at it from the side on that picture Glen posted, it appears there is some sort of cloth wrap between the shin armor and the trooper's leg.  Unlike on the Shoretrooper, the shin armor does not appear to run the whole length of the trooper's shin down to the ankle.

b13c40dfce39da492b36bd865048f45a.jpg

Yeah I didnt have my harness on which is main issue. I think I might go 12 x 11 or 12 x 10 instead of the 12 x 12.

Pouches I'm gonna ship tomorrow but think 6 x 9

The ab i guess i can redo if someone can point me to file. Would hate to cut sand back and bondo. But is what it is. Can always hide stuff with weathering.

Pants I asked for tanker style pants. The pics arent great but they are duck cloth.

I'm pretty clueless on the legs lol maybe PM kb directly and see if yall can figure that out. Not sure if supposed to have actual shin armor like shoretrooper with shin guard over it or just the officer style boots with the shin armor over it like I have now. But yeah they are big.

Told this to Dustin via chat but will repeat here for everyone chiming in.  We've got a decent first draft costume here, but definitely needs some fine tuning.

We're going to focus on the waist-up bits first and get that nailed down before fine-tuning the waist down.  The faulds and shin armor/wraps or whatever is going on there are going to take a bit more review and input.

But everything is proceeding well and we've made a TON of progress.  Thanks Dustin, KB Props and Darkside Closet for getting us closer to the finish line.

After bouncing my thoughts off of @MrPoopie I'm convinced that the boot has a sleeve over it and the shin armor sits over the sleeve.   I will be incorporating language similar to this into our CRL.  This is from the FO Snowtrooper

Boot cover:

• Is a tall, tubular sleeve made from fabric similar to that of a tri-cot polyester twill-blend with square-like pattern. (NOTE: All fabric pieces are required to be made from the same fabric and cannot be made from different-like materials). This sleeve covers the upper body of the boot and extends past the white elastic strap of the knee cup on the shinguard armor when worn.

I also think that the hip "armor" is actually cloth.  Probably something heavy like canvas.  And the pouches rest on top of it.  I think we should mock up a garment and go with that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

After bouncing my thoughts off of @MrPoopie I'm convinced that the boot has a sleeve over it and the shin armor sits over the sleeve.   I will be incorporating language similar to this into our CRL.  This is from the FO Snowtrooper

Boot cover:

• Is a tall, tubular sleeve made from fabric similar to that of a tri-cot polyester twill-blend with square-like pattern. (NOTE: All fabric pieces are required to be made from the same fabric and cannot be made from different-like materials). This sleeve covers the upper body of the boot and extends past the white elastic strap of the knee cup on the shinguard armor when worn.

I also think that the hip "armor" is actually cloth.  Probably something heavy like canvas.  And the pouches rest on top of it.  I think we should mock up a garment and go with that.

It seems like a gaiter that a hiker would use. Soft but functional and with an armor plate on the shin (because Stromtrooper).

Same things goes for the hip "armor", soft, this Trooper is supposed to be in mountainous terrain, so being light and mobile would make the most sense. The hip pads seem thick and fairly padded but also rigid for a fabric so probably a heavy canvas.

• Like 1

Just now, MrPoopie said:

It seems like a gaiter that a hiker would use. Soft but functional and with an armor plate on the shin (because Stromtrooper).

Same things goes for the hip "armor", soft, this Trooper is supposed to be in mountainous terrain, so being light and mobile would make the most sense. The hip pads seem thick and fairly padded but also rigid for a fabric so probably a heavy canvas.

Yeah my thought is its a duck cloth type garment with a LOT of padding inside of it to give it some thickness

I got darkside closet mocking up hip skirts faulds armor whatever now

Found some gaiters on rei website. Would we probably still use the officer style long boots?

Might try to draw some out thing hard for me to see in my head without pics assuming we are going for something snow trooper like

1 minute ago, heartstopper85 said:

I got darkside closet mocking up hip skirts faulds armor whatever now

Found some gaiters on rei website. Would we probably still use the officer style long boots?

Might try to draw some out thing hard for me to see in my head without pics assuming we are going for something snow trooper like

You'll be fine with your boots, the gaiter covers the whole thing.  It seems judging by the soles that the boots were supposed to be like the FOTK, but you probably need some sort of taller boot to support the gaiter and the shin armor straps

We're going for something like this, but without the spats.  The shin armor needs to end a few inches above the ankle, and I think the knee plates should be attached.  

File:BOOTS PRIMARY CRL GROUP.jpg

• Like 1

We're going for something like this, but without the spats.  The shin armor needs to end a few inches above the ankle, and I think the knee plates should be attached.  
800px-BOOTS_PRIMARY_CRL_GROUP.jpg
Gotcha that make sense so no actual shin armor like the shoretrooper just the gaiters over the boot and a plate with straps and knee plate attached

• Like 2

Precisely!  I think that's what's going on with the figure.  He needs to be light so he can climb mountains and hike hahaha.

• Like 1

Precisely!  I think that's what's going on with the figure.  He needs to be light so he can climb mountains and hike hahaha.
Good point hoping kb comes up with something good for shin armor unless someone ends up modeling one that can be scaled per trooper

• Like 1

Good point hoping kb comes up with something good for shin armor unless someone ends up modeling one that can be scaled per trooper

I'll ask @MrPoopie to chime in.  He's got a good eye for that sort of thing

• Haha 1

I could probably model something up real quick this afternoon. That way it can be scaled like you said. It's a really easy straight shape.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPoopie said:

I could probably model something up real quick this afternoon. That way it can be scaled like you said. It's a really easy straight shape.

And the knee armor....