TB Newb Series: Question: Tools and Anything Else Needed for Assembly of Mandalorian Scout kit by SC

Hello all.
While I anticipate my SC armor, I wanted to see if anyone could help me prepare for this.

Could someone either point me into a thread, or let me know below, what I should get to prepare to do this armor?  I mean this in terms of tools, glue, paint, etc?  Maybe any hints or tips would also be great.

I have a friend with a 501st approved shadow scout (and his wife has an approved RotJ scout) who is going to help me to put together my Mandalorian Scout, as they also got theirs from SC, but I don't want to look like a complete fool and not at least have the tools we'll need to assemble this.  Thanks in advance for any help or info.

Hey Chris, welcome to the Pathfinders detachment.

To start, I would pick up the following:

1) Pop Rivet Gun

2) Pack of aluminum 1/8" diameter with 1/4" pull pop rivets

3) Pack of 1/8" diameter aluminum backing plates

4) Lexan scissors

5) Zap a gap glue

6) E6000 glue

7) 1 roll, 15ft x 2" industrial strength velcro, black, stick on

8 ) 1 roll, 15ft x 2" industrial strength velcro, black, sew on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the list @Chopper

Would you take a look and see if these would work.  I'm not familiar with Rivet guns, so this one looked like it did 1/8".  Is there something else / different I'd need for the 1/4" pull pop rivets?  I don't know the difference.

1. Amazon.com - Global Aloha Rivet Gun: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SNP2RGG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07SNP2RGG&pd_rd_w=eyjhR&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=VG4UX&pf_rd_r=Y252Z8P808EQW5FGV33D&pd_rd_r=da0eb8e1-f837-4a36-ae40-cb57b9fd5044&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFaVzlFRUJQQ0NaR0gmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxMjQ5MDAzNzFLRERUVURWWlJGJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5ODIzNTFWQTQ4NVhTSFZKMkQmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

2.Possibly the aluminum 1/8" diameter with 1/4" pull pop rivets  https://smile.amazon.com/Rivets-Stainless-0-188-0-250-Bolt-Dropper/dp/B06VY799WM/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=aluminum+1%2F8"+diameter+with+1%2F4"+pull+pop+rivets&qid=1594131449&sr=8-7-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQk5MUUxGSVRUNUZXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDcyMTM0NlhYNERBMDIySUY0JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0ODEyNzQyUzJZQlEwTzdOWTdQJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

3. Unsure - amazon search didn't return rivets

4. Amazon Lexon Scissors - https://smile.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Scissors-Straight-Plastic-Trimming/dp/B088X2ZX5J/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?crid=1OGLWXV7FM54T&dchild=1&keywords=lexan+scissors&qid=1594131627&sprefix=Lexan+sc%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-21-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQ1UzTVZOVFdCWk1NJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjE2MTU5MUkyUDlPUzVYUDRXWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjU1OTk0M0JNUFRYMzJYN01WMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

5-8 I found... thanks :)

Also, do I need any sandpaper or anything like that or something to make the cuts/holes to put the Velcro through?

I have a Stanley rivet gun and it’s really solid and about $6 cheaper.

https://smile.amazon.com/Stanley-MR33C-Medium-Duty-Riveter/dp/B000BPO58W/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=Stanley+rivet+gun&qid=1594132481&s=automotive&sr=1-18

I don’t think you’ll need 100 rivets though a pack of 25-50 should do the trick and you can save a little $$ there.

I think this is what Chopper was talking about for backing plates:

https://smile.amazon.com/Stanley-Pbs4-Inch-Steel-Plates/dp/B000BPEQ3Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Rivet+backing+plates&qid=1594133208&sr=8-1

You can make backing pieces out of spare ABS strips or use similar diameter washers but these are ready made.

For your scissors you don’t need a reamer tool so I’d go with these and that’ll save you about $9:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088WVN6M5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B088WVN6M5&pd_rd_w=F8W2q&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=b8g0p&pf_rd_r=NW2CP1XKGNBC1D0ND7EK&pd_rd_r=6948ece5-d6ee-4189-ab4a-6579713e0246&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNlNRN0Y4V1lNMjM4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDcxOTY2MzdTNVVQMjEyQVJUTSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjU1ODM4QlVSSDZMUDg4WiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

A pack of 220 grit sandpaper is always good to have to smooth down any areas you have to trim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris, the rivets you linked to are stainless steel. If you use those, then it will be very, very difficult for you to drill them out, should you ever need to remove them. Use aluminum, same with the backing washers.

Backing washers are important to keep the rivet from cracking the plastic when it contracts.

These have a 3/8 pull, but should work well:

https://www.amazon.com/Snug-Fastener-Aluminum-Diameter-SNG173/dp/B07L4B92WJ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=1%2F8"+rivet+aluminum&qid=1594134005&sr=8-6

1/8" aluminum washers:

https://www.amazon.com/Back-up-Washers-250ct-Bryke-Fasteners/dp/B06XCG6QZ4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=1%2F8"+aluminum+washer&qid=1594134081&sr=8-1

Home Depot or Ace Hardware should both have these items in stock as well.

I'm gonna disagree on the reamer tool -- I've used it on pretty much all of my builds and it's def handy to make drill holes in plastic just a little bit wider! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

I'm gonna disagree on the reamer tool -- I've used it on pretty much all of my builds and it's def handy to make drill holes in plastic just a little bit wider! 😎

He’s got a good point. I’d do what he 👆says.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2020 at 5:44 AM, bobafett4ever said:

Hello all.
While I anticipate my SC armor, I wanted to see if anyone could help me prepare for this.

Could someone either point me into a thread, or let me know below, what I should get to prepare to do this armor?  I mean this in terms of tools, glue, paint, etc?  Maybe any hints or tips would also be great.

I have a friend with a 501st approved shadow scout (and his wife has an approved RotJ scout) who is going to help me to put together my Mandalorian Scout, as they also got theirs from SC, but I don't want to look like a complete fool and not at least have the tools we'll need to assemble this.  Thanks in advance for any help or info.

I would highly recommend emailing Jeff for instructions to assemble the helmet. It didn't come with my armor and I had to email him to get some. It may save you a little bit of a headache down the road. 

• Thanks 1

Question for you pros out there... I saw a YouTube video that recommended to use 3M double sided tape to hold the Helmet together instead of glue.  Have any of you done that and is that a good option, or do you recommend just glue/epoxy it?

It's an SC helmet, so the dome is one piece, not 2 separate pieces.

While that’s an interesting method it’s not recommended. The rigors of trooping, storing, and handling your bucket require a more substantial adhesive. I would recommend that you use E6000 or a plastic weld epoxy along with a good surface putty like bondo or ABS paste. With all the work involved in making your bucket you’re going to want it to be as solid as you can make it. I don’t know of anyone in the detachment that have used that method personally.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Retrofire said:

While that’s an interesting method it’s not recommended. The rigors of trooping, storing, and handling your bucket require a more substantial adhesive. I would recommend that you use E6000 or a plastic weld epoxy along with a good surface putty like bondo or ABS paste. With all the work involved in making your bucket you’re going to want it to be as solid as you can make it. I don’t know of anyone in the detachment that have used that method personally.

Excellent... I really appreciate the feedback.

With regards to that then, is it possible to use the E6000 or epoxy and not have to repaint the helmet?  I'm just trying to think how to assemble this SC helmet without having to paint it.

Again, I'm new to this, so sorry if it should have been obvious to me up front :) 

1 hour ago, bobafett4ever said:

With regards to that then, is it possible to use the E6000 or epoxy and not have to repaint the helmet?  I'm just trying to think how to assemble this SC helmet without having to paint it.

If you are going for Lancer, which your post makes it look like you are, pretty much any construction method will require re-painting the helmet as Lancer calls for "No Visible Seams on the Dome," and you'll need to paint after filling in and sanding down around the seams.  Even the screen accurate construction helmets, split down the sides instead of Back and Cap like the SC helmet, need their center seam filled, sanded, and painted, for Lancer.

One thing, though, is that The Mandalorian Biker Scout CRL will only be Level 1/Basic Approval at first, and Level 2 and "Lancer" requirements will be rolled out down the line, but, It's probably a safe bet to assume the Seamless Helmet will end up being a requirement.

You could assemble with E6000 and not have to paint it. Most folks only paint the helmet if they choose to seal the seam between the "cap" and "back" parts of the SC/KS style helmets. Filling this seam is required for Level 2 approval, but not for basic approval on the ROTJ scout. You're doing the mando scout anyhow, so the basic part of the proposed CRL stands.

• Thanks 1

To be fair, I trooped with my assembled KS bucket for a good two years with nary a problem.  It was only after I saw Scott's video that I realized he used 3M tape.

So as an experiment when building my Shoretrooper, I closed one of my biceps with ABS cement and one with 3M tape.  Guess which one came apart first?  ;)

1 hour ago, BikerScout007 said:

To be fair, I trooped with my assembled KS bucket for a good two years with nary a problem.  It was only after I saw Scott's video that I realized he used 3M tape.

So as an experiment when building my Shoretrooper, I closed one of my biceps with ABS cement and one with 3M tape.  Guess which one came apart first?  ;)

Great.  Thanks for the info.  I'll steer clear of the 3M tape :)

The SC kit came with 'bolts' to connect the front of the helmet to the rest.  Do you know if those are OK and/or good for Lancer (thinking long term) or should I order the kit offered Kevin here... 

In addition, if I was to order it, should I go a head and get the headband as well?  In my Navy Trooper and AT-ST helmet, I just put some padding, but maybe the headband is better for a full/closed helmet?  Thanks again for any info here.

Great.  Thanks for the info.  I'll steer clear of the 3M tape
Oh sorry I should have included the punchline. The 3M tape is still going strong. It was the ABS cement side that came undone.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BikerScout007 said:
36 minutes ago, bobafett4ever said:
Great.  Thanks for the info.  I'll steer clear of the 3M tape emoji4.png

Oh sorry I should have included the punchline. The 3M tape is still going strong. It was the ABS cement side that came undone.

Oh wow... now that is interesting.  Hmmm... I'm not hard on my stuff, and I like the idea of 3M tape... I'd be curious if anyone has done a helmet with 3M.  I guess I could always try it and if it doesn't hold up, do the epoxy latter on?  

2 minutes ago, bobafett4ever said:

Oh wow... now that is interesting.  Hmmm... I'm not hard on my stuff, and I like the idea of 3M tape... I'd be curious if anyone has done a helmet with 3M.  I guess I could always try it and if it doesn't hold up, do the epoxy latter on?  

Well like I said, my original KS bucket was done with 3M tape and it held for 49 troops.  Is it the best way?  Maybe not, but it does seem to work.  I know a few folks who have purchased assembled buckets from KS and I don't recall any of them saying the tape came undone.

@Dart do you have any info on this?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bobafett4ever said:

In addition, if I was to order it, should I go a head and get the headband as well?  In my Navy Trooper and AT-ST helmet, I just put some padding, but maybe the headband is better for a full/closed helmet?  Thanks again for any info here.

Yes. You’ll be more comfortable with a good headband. Some folks do forgo that and use a type of motorcycle helmet padding and build it up custom for their melon. Above all make sure it’s comfortable for you!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

Well like I said, my original KS bucket was done with 3M tape and it held for 49 troops.  Is it the best way?  Maybe not, but it does seem to work.  I know a few folks who have purchased assembled buckets from KS and I don't recall any of them saying the tape came undone.

I have a KS bucket and took it apart to fix a few issues. That said, I used the 3M tape and over 100 troops later, it's still holding. The stuff I used, which is the stuff KS uses, is the 3M indoor/outdoor foam mounting tape.

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2020 at 3:05 PM, BikerScout007 said:

I have a Battlestar Galactica Cylon from KS and that helmet ism also assembled with the 3M tape and its never come apart or lifted anywhere. It's really solid stuff. He used it to attach some of the greeblies on the back piece and you can't get those off. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

@TKZombie Did you end up using 3M tape?  I just now doing my first build ever and am using all SC stuff.  To be honest I'm scared to death to assemble this helmet in fear of screwing it up.  I have some Oatey glue for the job as recommended by one of the armorers.  Trying to dry fit is a royal pain with the cap and back sliding and falling apart.  I'm curious how you went about it.

Mike

[mention=82250]TKZombie[/mention] Did you end up using 3M tape?  I just now doing my first build ever and am using all SC stuff.  To be honest I'm scared to death to assemble this helmet in fear of screwing it up.  I have some Oatey glue for the job as recommended by one of the armorers.  Trying to dry fit is a royal pain with the cap and back sliding and falling apart.  I'm curious how you went about it.
Mike
I just assembled mine using e6000 and hot glue to tack some of the areas together. I did smaller sections at a time (letting the e6000 cure for 24 hours). Was a slow process but worked well for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1