Scout Bag Items Sourced

1 hour ago, TwistedZen said:

So the one I got is...gross.  Any ideas for cleaning and dyeing?  Any particular dye brands/colors I should go for?

TE8LA2W.jpg

It's a trial and error process.  Mine was originally a gray-ish bag.   I washed the heck out of it, then use RIT color remover to lighten it up as much as possible.  Then I tried RIT tan dye in a pot just big enough to submerge it (on a stove-top)....  which turned it much too dark.  So I removed the color again with the dye remover and tried again only using about 1/3 of the bottle of dye with only about 5 min. of pot time.  It was still a bit dark even after that.  So I just put it through about 1/2 dozen cycle in the wash with bleach added until it looked reasonably tan/khaki in color.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TB-6962 said:

I wish that there was a fabric pattern we could just use to make our own with Duck Cloth.

I'd say if you can make a belly pouch, you can certainly make one of these.  Not a pattern, but here are the dimensions of my bag.  It appears to be a 3 piece design with the sides being separate pieces from the front/back/flap.

BagDimensions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As the real item is easy to obtain ( even though its seventy years old !!) and costs around twenty five bucks , I can't imagine why anyone would want to make one . Unless you can get correct  1940s webbing material, it will just look wrong I'm afraid . 

But if you want an exact pattern , google pattern 1937 on army historical sites . 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 3:08 PM, greenyone said:

I'd say if you can make a belly pouch, you can certainly make one of these.  Not a pattern, but here are the dimensions of my bag.  It appears to be a 3 piece design with the sides being separate pieces from the front/back/flap.

Thanks for sharing the dimensions. If you get a chance could you take some shots of the seams so we can try to match type and stitching?

On 2/11/2020 at 9:34 PM, greenyone said:

So I just put it through about 1/2 dozen cycle in the wash with bleach added until it looked reasonably tan/khaki in color.

That's my method of color matching fabric. Hard color and wash/bleach it back.

I've been lurking here, but I just finished my bag today!

Not totally screen accurate as I could only get hold of an olive green variant, but I'm happy with it.

Thanks for all the info and reference pics you all! 😄

CJCVeEu.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 5:15 AM, CatfoodRob said:

One thing becomes obvious for my own bar , looking at the first photo I posted above, I'm pretty happy with my dimensions , but the overhang after the rivet / Chicago screw needs trimming down a couple of mm each end . 9a3825eaf4414c4256ba33aaed1e2bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings, I was searching everywhere the same bag but in brown, the only one I found is this, what do you think? https://www.hessenantique.com/British_OD_P37_Large_Pack_p/s91371505.htm?fbclid=IwAR1YDD1RF867PX9xX8r-5pv1FUUA471Plg6FuFf_pYclQ5Czn5br6IskwgQ

On 3/8/2020 at 8:28 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Just waiting on the Rank Bar and the new Chicago screw and the new loops instead of the D-rings I'm using now 

89140779_508391920105167_4696267277538951168_n.jpg

Looks great! where you found it, have the link oof the store?. I only can find this store but its comes in green. https://www.hessenantique.com/British_OD_P37_Large_Pack_p/s91371505.htm?fbclid=IwAR1YDD1RF867PX9xX8r-5pv1FUUA471Plg6FuFf_pYclQ5Czn5br6IskwgQ

37 minutes ago, Juan José Matamoros said:

Looks great! where you found it, have the link oof the store?. I only can find this store but its comes in green. https://www.hessenantique.com/British_OD_P37_Large_Pack_p/s91371505.htm?fbclid=IwAR1YDD1RF867PX9xX8r-5pv1FUUA471Plg6FuFf_pYclQ5Czn5br6IskwgQ

Found it on ebay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife ordered like every baby Yoda (Child) that was offered, lol, and they started to arrive. 

She likes the little one:

Photo%20Apr%2020%205%2021%2049%20PM_zpsb

Photo%20Apr%2020%205%2022%2000%20PM_zpsj

Here is the one I like:

Photo%20May%2006%208%2004%2039%20PM_zpse

Photo%20May%2006%208%2003%2054%20PM_zpst

Now that he is in my hands I've found he's too cute to punch ;) 

We also have the Build-a-Bear one but my daughters claimed that hahaha!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...