TB-85751 Build (KB Props)

6 minutes ago, Tober said:

Have you put this all on yet, I really want to do this build 

CRL is right here, bud

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:Mountain_Trooper

• 3 months later...
any photos of the boot gaiters?  did you make them or buy them?
My friend Aaron in my garrison made them. I'm having trouble using the app to upload but if you look up boot gaiter the pattern should be out there. Was told it's a simple sewing project I wouldn't know I suck at sewing and soft goods 6f42410b9444bb5555de8510745d63d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, heartstopper85 said:

My friend Aaron in my garrison made them. I'm having trouble using the app to upload but if you look up boot gaiter the pattern should be out there. Was told it's a simple sewing project I wouldn't know I suck at sewing and soft goods 6f42410b9444bb5555de8510745d63d2.jpg

thanks so much.  Looks easy enough to make.  Is that a zipper in the front?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently painting a Mountain Trooper helmet right now.

For the helmet....the CRL states the Frown is silver.  That means the entire "frown" around the front of helmet correct?

Also, on the snout....is it just the square and circular greeblies that are silver?  On the action figure it looks like the entire snout is silver.

I just dry brushed the snout silver, it's a toy so you have to think logically. Mine is pretty much all black with silver dry brushing on all those parts. That and I didn't want to repaint everything so the dry brush made things go quicker

• 5 months later...

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board on the shin strap.
The rubber material im using is too thick and causes sagging and paint chips badly.

I may just have to go with the 1.5in white strap that every other trooper in history has used.

Toyed around with attached a strap to the rubber for support to hold up.

Need a light or thin material with those ridges but I'm coming up blank

46 minutes ago, heartstopper85 said:

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board on the shin strap.
The rubber material im using is too thick and causes sagging and paint chips badly.

I may just have to go with the 1.5in white strap that every other trooper in history has used.

Toyed around with attached a strap to the rubber for support to hold up.

Need a light or thin material with those ridges but I'm coming up blank

@MrPoopie think TPU would work here?  or something else?

10 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

@MrPoopie think TPU would work here?  or something else?

That's what I was thinking. I think I still have the files for the PT straps which are probably the same or really similar. 

8 minutes ago, heartstopper85 said:

What tpu

TPU is 3D printable rubber. Can you measure the length of the straps that you need and how many? 

TPU is 3D printable rubber. Can you measure the length of the straps that you need and how many? 
Yeah I can do that. They are 1.5in wide. And 1ft 5in long

These are the straps originally created for my PT (didn't use them). I can modify the file to work for this. 

TPU straps

TPU straps

• Like 1

Looks like they got 7 horizontal stripes on each?

mountaintrooperturnaround.jpg

2 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Looks like they got 7 horizontal stripes on each?

mountaintrooperturnaround.jpg

Thanks. That's still really easy to create. I'll work something up and see what everyone thinks. 

• Like 2

Here's what I can produce. Each strap will need to be 2 parts since I can't print 17" long in one go. This should have any overall effect on it though, I've glued TPU parts together and it's not a problem. You just use an adhesive with some flex, such as E-6000 or something similar.

PM me and I can let you know what it'll cost to produce these. Just shipping and cost of materials.

51611429814_6776bab692_c.jpg

51611659805_9a51c81273_b.jpg

51609950562_9595e15ebb_b.jpg

51611659840_ffd3a9a0d3_b.jpg

Here's the TPU straps. They'll need a little bit of smoothing on the joining section but i think it'll work and nobody will notice it anyway. The easiest way to smooth TPU is with a flat tip on a soldering iron on a low temp. It'll smooth things out, normal sanding doesn't work.

51615330970_920abbb2ed_b.jpg

51614461861_4a76e65976_b.jpg

51614680213_0a4c151f8f_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Ending up having flex issues with not be a full print.

However was able to make a molds using those 3d printed straps and got some advise from KB Props on materials they use to cast their flexible shoulder straps and I believe I'll be doing that. Mold is made my friend that has experience with this has been busy so haven't finished yet.

Plan is to cast the nylon strapping material in the mold itself so in theory when you pull the straps out the mold they will have that nylon in the rubber strap already than I can attach with velcro looping inside the strap holders on the shin armor. The bottom strap will be a bit trickier though

Good call. Seaming 2 TPU pieces can be tricky at best. Your final product with the inserted nylon straps should be great. I've seen similar things before. 

• Like 1