Biker Scout Boots Tutorial

12 hours ago, nsbuff28 said:

Where did you get your vinyl? I made a set with some that I got from Joanne fabrics and it had like a felt on the back. That felt like material on the back made it a little difficult to glue. I’m getting ready to work on my boots for lancer!

I used this vinyl for my boots: https://www.fabricguru.com/marine-vinyl/marine-grade-vinyl-outdoor-upholstery-fabric-white.html

It's smooth and doesn't have much grain to it.

I used this vinyl for my boots: https://www.fabricguru.com/marine-vinyl/marine-grade-vinyl-outdoor-upholstery-fabric-white.html
It's smooth and doesn't have much grain to it.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, CRex75 said:

is white thread still correct for Lancer? 

We don't specify the color in the CRL.  Our model boot uses white thread; the "brown" would be caused by weathering.  

5 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

We don't specify the color in the CRL.  Our model boot uses white thread; the "brown" would be caused by weathering.  

Thanks for clarifying sir! That makes sense. Stay safe.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
One other thing I found helpful in using these Kingshow boots.  The type of leather used is not smooth.  (I don't know the technical term for this type of leather finish) And the E6000 really soaked in to the grainy surface.  Because of this I fought with the white vinyl adhering well on the first boot.  It lifted back off very easily...even after a few days of dry time.  I had to keep peeling back the vinyl in places to smear some more glue in there.  Maybe this is less of an issue with a smoother tanned leather boot.  Anyway , on the second boot I applied and spread out a thinner coat on the boot surface and let it dry/tack up for a couple hours.  Almost like a primer coat.  I then went back and applied another coat (thicker this time) before stretching the vinyl over the boot.  Now it feels like I couldn't separate the two surfaces with any amount of force.

This advice was spot on. I was experiencing the same thing. Thanks Kurt!

What Greeny describes is actually the ideal way to use a contact adhesive, like E6000. Thanks for posting it.

• 1 month later...

Is there a template floating around for the bone shaped piece of vinyl for the boots? 

Is there a template floating around for the bone shaped piece of vinyl for the boots? 

Yes. I can’t remember where I pulled this from as I sourced it a long time ago. Could be buried in this forum somewhere or online elsewhere.

5830f64645317dfd63bc864bc75bca85.jpg

But you will have to cut it too fit properly. I found the 10.25 inch width to be too wide for my size 10 Kingman Boot. It created too much overhang that draped over the sole of the boot. I think I trimmed mine back to the first stitch line on either side.

Print it out on paper and then carefully trim it to size. It should come either to the sole or slightly above it as in the originals.

a226e91c038a5ce50973f1b760f1fd8f.jpg

2 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Yes. I can’t remember where I pulled this from as I sourced it a long time ago. Could be buried in this forum somewhere or online elsewhere.

5830f64645317dfd63bc864bc75bca85.jpg

But you will have to cut it too fit properly. I found the 10.25 inch width to be too wide for my size 10 Kingman Boot. It created too much overhang that draped over the sole of the boot. I think I trimmed mine back to the first stitch line on either side.

Print it out on paper and then carefully trim it to size. It should come either to the sole or slightly above it as in the originals.

a226e91c038a5ce50973f1b760f1fd8f.jpg

Thank you very much. I had one but couldn’t find it. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone tried to make these boots recently? I see Amazon does not have any of the larger size KingShow 1366 in stock. largest is a 10 currently on Amazon. 

Do we know if these are close enough in sole density? King Show 1406, the color is still posted as wheat sole.

https://www.amazon.com/KINGSHOW-Premium-Full-Grain-Leather-1389wheat/dp/B06XXQKGH8/ref=sr_1_4?camp=1789&creative=9325&dchild=1&keywords=kingshow&linkCode=ur2&linkId=53057cc636add57c8b9930cbc9604b50&qid=1625686744&s=apparel&sr=1-4&th=1

The only issue with the boot you posted is that there's a two tone sole. And that aspect only really matters for Level 2, where the CRL states: "The boot sole is a single color with no visible stitching."

• Like 1

I'm really having a hard time finding some boots to build scout boots in germany. It seems like a two tone sole is totally fancy at the moment. Would this one be ok. It has a single tone sole but it's kind of dark. So I'm a little bit unsure... https://www.goertz.de/dockers-schnuer-boots-ocker-45851703/?wt_mc=de.psm.s24.Boots_2_Dockers.45851703.&s24clid=a162b4fe-8909-4a2e-9e98-c0e8313240f2#itemId=45851703-0450

I thought the sole would be a little bit too dark. Than they just need to be back in store in my size!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

It is a little dark, I'll agree there -- maybe a touch too close to the edge of a chocolate color vs wheat color. Are you planning for Level 2 or just basic clearance? I know with boots, styles and local availability can play a big part in what you have to work with. Remember, you can also paint the sides with acrylic paint if you need to lighten it up a bit -- and it's a lot easier to lighten up a single color base vs a two tone base.

I definately aiming for Level and the boots and the suede are causing real troubles… :-D Maybe I just order the Kingshows although shipping and customs duties will raise the price. Does the acrylic paint really stick to the sole or do you have to repaint it after every troop?

I don't want you paying import and custom fees on boots as cheap as the kingshow boots if you don't need to. Stand by please and let me consult with the others in the armory collective.

• Like 1

Magnet trick and boot stiffness?
What is the magnet trick for holding the pistol in to the holster?  Do you put the magnet into the capacitor on the grip or in the body of the gun?

Are the boots stiff enough to hold up a resin pistol? Mine is 1lb even :(  If not, what are some tricks for that?  Plastic sewn in?  Leg strap?  Or try to find the lightest pistol I can for the boot (I'll need recommendations for that)

A lot of people put a magnet in the capacitor and then some strong rare earth magnets behind the plastic of the holster. Dark Voorhees used to put a magnet in the capacitor as well as under the nose of the barrel.

The boots are definitely not stiff enough to hold up a resin pistol on their own. You can sew an elastic leg strap to the vinyl behind the holster, which will help.

D1tFeLKh.jpg

fUJgVWBh.jpg

• Like 1

I have tried to find the right soles for a long time, but ended up with 2coloured soles in the end. The good ones that i found were either heavy on import or not imported to the Netherlands at all. 

These are some boots i considered, maybe they send it to your country:
-- Men's 1366 Water Resistant Premium Work Boots

-- Dickies Fa9001 Donegal Boot

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that @Digger. I checked around on amazon.de to see if I could find anything and most everything seems to be two-toned soles, as you said.

@OnkelPaschulke the amorers chatted a bit and unfortunately, the soles on the Dockers appear to be too dark for Level 2. If you can only find two-toned soles, then you'll need to go with putting some acrylic paint on the sides.

If you scuff the sides with some 400 grit paper and clean them with rubbing alcohol first, you should be able to get some decent adhesion on the paint. The paint will flake off as you use the boots, but you shouldn't need to repaint it after every troop.

Thanks for checking with the armorers@Chopper My wife just found these. They look at least a little bit lighter than the dockers and have a one tone Sole and no stiching.

8691565a080e070b2f5bdbbc13a5ef0f.jpg

• Like 3