Biker Scout Boots Tutorial

If you've had success with it then I'm probably going to use a CA myself.   Like I mentioned.  The E6000, although flexible, doesn't seem to create a very strong bond on smooth or semi smooth surfaces.  I did come across a craft forum where people swear by 'Loctite 4901' CA glue.  The claims are that it's truly the only flexible CA glue/solvent that is actually flexible as advertised.  But it cost in excess of $50 for a measly 20 gram. bottle!!!

21 hours ago, greenyone said:

If you've had success with it then I'm probably going to use a CA myself.   Like I mentioned.  The E6000, although flexible, doesn't seem to create a very strong bond on smooth or semi smooth surfaces.  I did come across a craft forum where people swear by 'Loctite 4901' CA glue.  The claims are that it's truly the only flexible CA glue/solvent that is actually flexible as advertised.  But it cost in excess of $50 for a measly 20 gram. bottle!!!

Yikes! I always use the blue cap gorillas glue, it’s anout $4-$5. 

• 1 month later...

Is there a particular brand of Kingshow boot that’s better than others for cutting into the sole? I got the 1366 style because it was the only one I could find in my size (having to convert women’s sizes to men’s sizes, alas!) and tried to do the cuts on one sole with an exacto knife and the sole is very messy at cutting and I can’t make a clean cut. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Aaron, Great build thread.

Just a quick question, did you glue the whole "dog bone" to the boot? 

I've always only glued the sides, going by this photo.

36722276821_e8751960a6_o.jpg

5 hours ago, M.J said:

Hello Aaron, Great build thread.

Just a quick question, did you glue the whole "dog bone" to the boot? 

I've always only glued the sides, going by this photo.

36722276821_e8751960a6_o.jpg

Hey, so I usually glue about a third on each side and leave a third without glue in the middle. For super accuracy you’d only wanna glue just the edges because it looks like it was sewn on that way. The reason I like to do more than just the edge is because I don’t want it to rip off. Adding glue a little higher up gives a little more security. 

Thank you for this tutorial! Great help! Was able to complete boots for my kids biker. Added garage sale sign in boot too for rigidity. I even upgrade the laces to elastic. So just slip foot in and go.

782240264a96ff700920d3baa06918e6.jpgd49a4ee47b2c0f9cd4dce0559aacf5ae.jpg2d61480c40e8a4e9130937b285fd1257.jpgfcc93ffee59a43c72bf15d3adcd62039.jpgad40ab64829cc7b68bd3ec1912d9a0ff.jpgc7f9c0245fec29c747a0a20408126f18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DaygoErm said:

Thank you for this tutorial! Great help! Was able to complete boots for my kids biker. Added garage sale sign in boot too for rigidity. I even upgrade the laces to elastic. So just slip foot in and go. emoji16.png

782240264a96ff700920d3baa06918e6.jpgd49a4ee47b2c0f9cd4dce0559aacf5ae.jpg2d61480c40e8a4e9130937b285fd1257.jpgfcc93ffee59a43c72bf15d3adcd62039.jpgad40ab64829cc7b68bd3ec1912d9a0ff.jpgc7f9c0245fec29c747a0a20408126f18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job!

• Like 2

Great tutorial ... thank you!

Question, I see that you also do commissions for these types of boots as well.  Do you also make the Scout Trooper cummerbund and belt/pouches?  Thank you.

TB Scout Trooper CRL >>> http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TB_scout_trooper_-_sw_rebels

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, Astra said:

Great tutorial ... thank you!

Question, I see that you also do commissions for these types of boots as well.  Do you also make the Scout Trooper cummerbund and belt/pouches?  Thank you.

TB Scout Trooper CRL >>> http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TB_scout_trooper_-_sw_rebels

Are you looking for rebels soft goods? I can make the boots for a rebels scout trooper. I have not made the cummerbund for that version yet, but I do make the regular scout trooper cummerbund. 

On 6/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, cheesewhoopy said:

Are you looking for rebels soft goods? I can make the boots for a rebels scout trooper. I have not made the cummerbund for that version yet, but I do make the regular scout trooper cummerbund. 

Correct, it is the Rebel Scout Trooper that I was looking at.  Okay, great to know about the boots, thank you.  Yes, I had seen that you make the regular Scout Trooper cummerbund.  Not sure if I will go the Rebel ST route as finding the hard armor parts is a bit tricky.  Lol, figures I would be interested in something less common! 😉   Will keep researching.  Thank you very much for replying! 😄

• 2 months later...

Hello! I am building my first Scout armor set and this thread has been a lifesaver. I have two questions: first, what would you recommend to keep the "tube" of the boot rigid? I've seen a lot of pictures of Scouts with super wrinkly boots, and I'd very much like to avoid that. I saw DaygoErm's pictures from back in May showing how he put a sign in his to keep it rigid. Would you recommend something like that? It seems like it would work great. Secondly, when it comes to lacing the boot up for wear do you usually leave your boot loose-laced or do you lace it up tight? My concern with lacing it tight would be it causing the front of the vinyl to warp. Thanks for your time!

A common solution for the "boot droop" is to sew an elastic boot blouser onto the vinyl. It's hidden by the holster, but it helps to keep your boot up, when you've got your pistol holstered. 

D1tFeLK.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting out, I'm aiming for lancer status, is there a guideline to the "cuts" that need to be done on the boots, what is expected? what is allowed and what won't be accepted? I may have to buy new boots but this is a taste of what I've done with a dremel, found the rubber too soft to use an x-acto blade on (too soft for a clear straight cut).

20190928_221601.jpg

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Infernau said:

Don't like it too much, sole is the wrong color, had to scrap those boots.

Did you make a patterns first on the sole?... because my boots it's kinda the same like yours.. but I'm not cutting it yet because i need to finished my flight suit, then put my knee armor for measurement with the boots(I read somewhere here it's about 1 inch from the knee armor) exz6W9Z.jpg

well, I hope you Can worked it out.

Edited by kacrut
i read again from the page 1 about the tube..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was chatting with Cory/holmie827, above. One thing that may be important to note, is that there's two different Kingshow boots available on Amazon --

Folks should get the "KINGSHOW Men's 1366 Water Resistant Premium Work Boots" with wheat soles.

The "Kingshow Men's 1801 Work Boots" are also available on Amazon, but they have a split colored sole and will be much more difficult to work with for your boot cuts.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest using the Bob Smith Insta-Flex instead of the Gorilla Glue.

It is a CA but has rubber added to give it a little more flex. Bob Smith Industries is probable the best supplier of CA glues, is used extensively in the dental field and hobby industry, best of all it is a local US based company made in California. I have been using their glues for models for years and they make a CA for every application is seems.

BSI_Instaflex+@2x.jpg

On 1/3/2020 at 5:19 PM, Chopper said:

I was chatting with Cory/holmie827, above. One thing that may be important to note, is that there's two different Kingshow boots available on Amazon --

Folks should get the "KINGSHOW Men's 1366 Water Resistant Premium Work Boots" with wheat soles.

The "Kingshow Men's 1801 Work Boots" are also available on Amazon, but they have a split colored sole and will be much more difficult to work with for your boot cuts.

Hope that helps.

The Kingshow 1510 in wheat was a popular one too that has the single color sole.  I don't see it being available anymore on Amazon.  Perhaps it's still around from other sellers though. 

• 5 weeks later...

Where did you get your vinyl? I made a set with some that I got from Joanne fabrics and it had like a felt on the back. That felt like material on the back made it a little difficult to glue. I’m getting ready to work on my boots for lancer!