Undersuit Mods

On 11/4/2019 at 3:19 PM, TimboSlice12 said:

Anything specific you used for thigh straps?

They are just 2 inch (50mm) black elastic straps.  Should be available at any fabric store, ebay, amazon etc...

example:

https://www.amazon.com/lusata-2-inch-Elastic-Stretch-Elasticity/dp/B071D37ZDS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=39SG2LRZLI978&keywords=2+inch+black+elastic&qid=1573047253&sprefix=2+inch+black+el%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-6

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 10:35 PM, BikerScout007 said:

Riding patches

Here's the shape for my riding patches. I did not make this suit. My patches go up the front quite a bit, up and over the bottom zipper.

image.png

Mickey,

Your riding patches in the photo above form roughly 90 degree angles at the top.  However, while looking at some Lancer applications for reference photos of where they attached the butt flap I came across an app where the review team requested that the top be more rounded (similar to the backside).    

I was under the impression that the top front of the riding patches would/should be covered by the cod piece.  Will going straight across like the photo above be an issue for a Lancer app?

I only ask because I just finished my patches using this guide and want to make any adjustments now rather than later on when I’m ready to submit my Lancer app.   

You can't see the part that squares off on my suit when I have everything on.   If you were to see that detail (meaning the patch was too low), then yes that would be a problem for Lancer. 

3P0A9195.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent.  Thanks for the clarification!  And great pic by the way!

• 2 months later...

6e3e312c73f4dec1b5c87c13020b8ea2.jpg

i'm having a tough time visualizing how to do this. OP said that they opened up the outer seams to stitch the riding patches on, but did you also open up the inner seams and crotch to sew the patched into those? or did you sew the entire patch together, then line it up with the original seams and stitch just along the outer edge?

7 hours ago, Mike M. said:

6e3e312c73f4dec1b5c87c13020b8ea2.jpg

i'm having a tough time visualizing how to do this. OP said that they opened up the outer seams to stitch the riding patches on, but did you also open up the inner seams and crotch to sew the patched into those? or did you sew the entire patch together, then line it up with the original seams and stitch just along the outer edge?

Not sure if this will help, but I just finished doing this, myself.

The following entries document the thigh patch installation:

https://becomingbobafett.com/scout-trooper-flight-suit-modding-continued-4/

https://becomingbobafett.com/scout-trooper-flight-suit-modding-continued-5/

https://becomingbobafett.com/scout-trooper-flight-suit-modding-continued-6/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mike M. said:

I also mentioned that I did not do the work ;)

You can approach either way.  Obviously ripping out the inner seams will create a cleaner look, but we are not going between your legs to check the seams!  You don't even have to do your patches as 4 separate pieces.  Folks have been doing them as only 2 (or even 1 big one) for years. 

@f3tt4l1f3 has some really good tips in his post, check them out.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, BikerScout007 said:

I also mentioned that I did not do the work ;)

You can approach either way.  Obviously ripping out the inner seams will create a cleaner look, but we are not going between your legs to check the seams!  You don't even have to do your patches as 4 separate pieces.  Folks have been doing them as only 2 (or even 1 big one) for years. 

@f3tt4l1f3 has some really good tips in his post, check them out.

after reading this I had an idea for making a pattern for the riding patch. For some reason, I never threw out a pair of jeans with the butt tore out along the seam. I'm going to put those on and ask my wife to eyeball out the lines, then cut out the crotch for pattern pieces.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that.  My sewing is terrible, but I don't have anyone around me to do it, so I have to do it myself.  Ive actually been very reluctatnt to stat this because I didn't know how.  

Are the edges turned under , or is the stitch just put to the edge of the suede? 

11 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Are the edges turned under , or is the stitch just put to the edge of the suede? 

No, the edges aren't turned under; the stitch just runs right along the edge.

Thanks for posting that.  My sewing is terrible, but I don't have anyone around me to do it, so I have to do it myself.  Ive actually been very reluctatnt to stat this because I didn't know how.  

Don’t sweat the sewing. I never used a sewing machine prior to my build and things are progressing great. The under suit mods are fairly easy. The riding patches are a bit intimidating but with careful planning and good patterns you’ll be fine. It was easier than I thought. Be sure to check out various build threads to see how others did it and post up lots of questions and progress pics for feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have looked and not seen a pattern, other than the photos posted at the front of this topic.  Is there a pattern?  I havent seen much that says how wide the thigh patches have to be  I know they stop above the knee armor, but is there a general rule?  

6 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

i have looked and not seen a pattern, other than the photos posted at the front of this topic.  Is there a pattern?  I havent seen much that says how wide the thigh patches have to be  I know they stop above the knee armor, but is there a general rule?  

No pattern, just the measurements as shown in the photos.  It's hard to nail down a pattern since we all come in so many sizes and shapes.  Many people do a pattern on paper or on spare fabric first to test it out.  I would start with the measurements shown above and adjust as needed.  

The patches show more from the front than the back when standing.  It's easier to tell where they should go from a seated position rather than a standing one, since they are designed to keep you comfortable when riding your speeder bike!

• Thanks 1

Sorry if I confused you. By “pattern” I meant the one you make. As Bikerscout007 stated the riding patches are going to vary widely from one scout to the next due to size. Even if you found a pattern you’d likely have to adjust it to fit you.

I started my pattern using Bikerscout007’s measurements in this thread, sketched them out on my undersuit with chalk and then adjusted the measurements to my fit. The nice thing about using chalk is that you can “erase” the line with a damp cloth and adjust accordingly.

Once I had the pattern sketched out in chalk I posted some pics for feedback, made minor tweaks based on the feedback, and then created paper patterns using a brown paper grocery bag, which I then used to trace and cut out my pigskin leather.

I have some photos of my process in my build thread. You can check out some other build threads to get a sense of how others may have done it. That really helped me out too.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21137-dennis-scout-wip-lancer/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Is there a certain kind of aim that we should have for the height of the collar. When it says "covers the neck area" how much area are we looking to cover? I know it will be different depending on size but is there a ballpark "half of the neck" or "most of the neck"--something like that?

Main post updated to remove the mandarin collar how-to.  Just leave your coveralls collar as it is!

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, OnkelPaschulke said:

I might consider this change pretty soon... 😄

Did mine today 😉.  Super easy fix.  Wish they were all that simple.  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I would like to add my two cents here if I might. I know I am not currently an approved Scout, yet....but I have had a Swamp trooper in the past and am working on a Swamp, Shadow, and ROTJ scout currently. I know my opinion doesnt mean a lot and but the time this happens, probably wont affect me, but....I would ask that the collar option be left in and not removed. Of course this counteracts all my "lets get it right" push for most things lol. But I know currently, the same undersuit is used in all 3 costumes i mentioned. If we change and take the mandorian collar option out completely, people will need 2 flight suits. Again I know this isnt the detachments problem, but wanted to throw that out there for a reason not to remove it 

42 minutes ago, Gree23 said:

I would like to add my two cents here if I might. I know I am not currently an approved Scout, yet....but I have had a Swamp trooper in the past and am working on a Swamp, Shadow, and ROTJ scout currently. I know my opinion doesnt mean a lot and but the time this happens, probably wont affect me, but....I would ask that the collar option be left in and not removed. Of course this counteracts all my "lets get it right" push for most things lol. But I know currently, the same undersuit is used in all 3 costumes i mentioned. If we change and take the mandorian collar option out completely, people will need 2 flight suits. Again I know this isnt the detachments problem, but wanted to throw that out there for a reason not to remove it 

I appreciate your predicament, but we do things by what the film tells us.  The Swamp Trooper and Shadow Scout have some... I'll just say dubious source material, and certainly not anything that would affect how we write the ROTJ Scout CRL.  

Already the major propmakers have removed the mandarin collar and have switched to the open.  So it's going to be harder and harder to do one unless the costumer buys coveralls and makes the change themselves.  

But keep in mind, in the 501st you are grandfathered in once you are approved.  So anyone with a mandarin collar is under no obligation to change it to open, unless they decide to go for Level 2.  Or if they retire and then decide to come back.  We aren't removing it as an option anytime soon, so you're fine.  

• Like 1

I appreciate your predicament, but we do things by what the film tells us.  The Swamp Trooper and Shadow Scout have some... I'll just say dubious source material, and certainly not anything that would affect how we write the ROTJ Scout CRL.  
Already the major propmakers have removed the mandarin collar and have switched to the open.  So it's going to be harder and harder to do one unless the costumer buys coveralls and makes the change themselves.  
But keep in mind, in the 501st you are grandfathered in once you are approved.  So anyone with a mandarin collar is under no obligation to change it to open, unless they decide to go for Level 2.  Or if they retire and then decide to come back.  We aren't removing it as an option anytime soon, so you're fine.  
Yeah no worries. Like i said it was just something that stuck out to me and i completely appreciate the fact that we want the CRL to be at its best.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Got my flight suit today . Legs need to be taken in . How snug should the elastic  be on the thighs ? Mine def needs to be tightened up . Pilot bay had it out the door in about 1 day . Really happy with the quality of the construction. 

The elastic should not be drooping, but it also shouldn't be so tight that it's bunching and cutting off the circulation to your legs.

• Like 1