Undersuit Mods

Just to get some of this stuff into one thread, here is a few tips and tricks for doing the undersuit mods, particularly if you have a Red Kap, but this should work for most suits!

Open Collar

I've removed the Mandarin collar how-to, since we are moving away from that.  For how to wear the Open Collar -- please watch this:

• Like 5

Riding patches

Here's the shape for my riding patches. I did not make this suit. My patches go up the front quite a bit, up and over the bottom zipper.

image.png

The distance from the seam of the crotch to the bottom of the patch is 9.5 inches. Your mileage may vary. These patches end about 2-3 inches above my knee armor.

6183080928e61ef702bbf88ad7beebfb.jpg

The riding patches were done in 4 parts, with a front and back for each side. As far as I know, this is how it was done in the film. This picture shows a good view of the front left patch (on the bottom of the pic). The best way to sew these on is to open the outside seam of the leg and lay the leg flat. Pin your suede patch into position and sew with a leather needle. When you've done both patches and the thigh straps, you can sew the leg up and take in any bagginess in the undersuit legs.

c124966223638ff882de678e6e08a726.jpg

This pic shows the left rear patch.

image.png

The thigh straps should "point" at the crotch of the suit. As you can see here, the strap is about one foot above the knee

33f52b873671c86d21c2160a21d1dc78.jpg

• Like 5

Butt flap

Most of us just use a suede pigskin for the patches. Tandy Leather is a good supplier of this. A 7-10ft sq piece is more than enough. My suede "butt flap" patch is roughly square, about 13.5x12.5. I'm 6'0 and 180lbs, so this may vary on your size.

The easiest place to attach is along the seam of the elastic band that goes around the waist of the suit.

bd9bdeaf3f98f7e2ed5e82b602e2b73a.jpg

ea251f7f157e0d4b250cd4487c1f0743.jpg

And here is the finished product!

cc6d788bfff3aa4f0018ef404e249db4.jpg

I hope this helps! I will add to this thread as necessary

• Like 8

I’ll just add that the 4-piece construction of the riding patches worked really Well for me. :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am in the process of making a new under suit as I lost 100lbs and mine is HUGE now. So this was a good refresher on how to do it. I just cut out my patches again for the inner thighs... Thank god I made templates when I did mine the last time. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sibbel29 said:

I have a request mickey:

can you measure the distance of :

A
B
C
D
E

this way I can make a nice blueprint for these emoji6.pngmuch appreciated!!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Will do!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 10:02 PM, sibbel29 said:

thanks bro, you rock!emoji1591.png

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

On 10/31/2018 at 1:50 PM, jwnikita said:

Please let me know when this is posted as I would like to know as well.

The annotated images have been added above

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Butt flap

Most of us just use a suede pigskin for the patches. Tandy Leather is a good supplier of this. A 7-10ft sq piece is more than enough. My suede "butt flap" patch is roughly square, about 13.5x12.5. I'm 6'0 and 180lbs, so this may vary on your size.

The easiest place to attach is along the seam of the elastic band that goes around the waist of the suit.

bd9bdeaf3f98f7e2ed5e82b602e2b73a.jpg

ea251f7f157e0d4b250cd4487c1f0743.jpg

And here is the finished product!

cc6d788bfff3aa4f0018ef404e249db4.jpg

I hope this helps! I will add to this thread as necessary
So a single suede pigskin for both the crotch patches and butt flap? Is it black?

There's a large group of us working on scout builds at once. A little afraid we're going to overrun all of the Tandy locations looking for this. Does anyone have recommendations for alternatives if needed? Is there an acceptable microsuede at Joann's or something?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Adianu said:

So a single suede pigskin for both the crotch patches and butt flap? Is it black?

There's a large group of us working on scout builds at once. A little afraid we're going to overrun all of the Tandy locations looking for this. Does anyone have recommendations for alternatives if needed? Is there an acceptable microsuede at Joann's or something?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes a single suede pigskin would be more then enough.  You may even be able to get enough for two suits if you cut it right.  

I've never researched microsuede because we require the real stuff for Lancer.  Can't help you there!  Maybe someone else had a lead.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just received my RedKap coveralls.  Having spent a number of years wearing military issued coveralls in the Navy, my first impression is that the RedKap suit is comparatively very heavy weight fabric.  I assume this will also mean very hot to wear in warmer climates.  Does anyone have a source for a lighter weight coverall/suit?

19 minutes ago, greenyone said:

I just received my RedKap coveralls.  Having spent a number of years wearing military issued coveralls in the Navy, my first impression is that the RedKap suit is comparatively very heavy weight fabric.  I assume this will also mean very hot to wear in warmer climates.  Does anyone have a source for a lighter weight coverall/suit?

Hey Kurt!

Yeah they are pretty heavy.  The reason they are so popular is because they are cheap and easily available.   I bought a different brand of coveralls for my son to make a Scout for him and it was more of a lightweight cotton.  Problem is the thing only seems to be in stock 6 months out of the year!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BK8QQFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to be in stock right now if you want to grab one up.   Your suit does not need to be a Red Kap, just want to make that clear.  As long as you can make the mods in this thread to it, you are a-okay.

Yeah I got a mechanics coverall from OMP, seems abit thinner. Any black overall Will do, and with all the layers on a scout you are going to get hot anyway.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, greenyone said:

I'm tempted to try and dye a pair of my old GI issued ones from navy blue to black.

If you do, please let us see how it turns out.  We are all for options around here.   

Just remember that any extraneous pockets or zippers that may show must be removed.