Undersuit Mods

3 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

If you do, please let us see how it turns out.  We are all for options around here.   

Just remember that any extraneous pockets or zippers that may show must be removed.

That's a nice thing about the old military (USN) coveralls.  All the pockets are external, including the waist pockets.  I'll have to see if it takes to the dye and report here.  

Okay.  Gave it a try and holy crap!!!   Rit DyeMore "graphite" over the original dark navy blue US Navy coverall makes these things so black that you can't even see any detail in the photo.  I took two photos in the same exact place for comparison just now.  You can see how much darker the dyed US Navy coverall is compared to the RedKap.

I used two bottles of the Rit DyeMore in a 3 gallon pot on the stove.  The dye instructions said to simmer close to boiling for at least 1/2 hour.  I stood over the stove stirring and turning the coverall over in the pot for a full hour just to be safe.  After that you rinse them with warm then cool water until the dye stops flowing out of the garment, then a regular warm cycle in the washing machine with soap, followed by a tumble in the dryer.

I'm not sure what version of these the US Navy uses nowadays, but the ones I have were used in the 80's, 90's and 2000's (to the best of my knowledge).  If anyone is interested in going this route I've seen them on Ebay.  I think the Navy must use several contractors to manufacture these for them though.  I have 4 pairs.  They all look/feel exactly the same but show a different govt. contracted manufacturer on the tag.SuitCompareText.thumb.jpg.8ddc60b8a01db63660899f1219d3d9d5.jpg

11 hours ago, SeaWaffles said:

Has anyone purchased suede off amazon? Not sure if i should take the risk or just do a day trip over Tandy. 

Amazon REED Leather Hides

Personally, If you have a Tandy store local to you, I'd go there. We have one here in Tampa and they have been very helpful in picking out the right materials for various costumes. You'll also know exactly what you are getting. If it's real leather/suede, it'll vary in size, shape and may even have some holes. I went with suede pigskin for the riding patches/flap.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 9:53 PM, BikerScout007 said:

Just to get some of this stuff into one thread, here is a few tips and tricks for doing the undersuit mods, particularly if you have a Red Kap, but this should work for most suits!

Mandarin collar

First you need to cut off the butt pockets of the suit (they need to go anyway. The chest pockets can actually stay). Save one of the pockets, you will need it!

Flip up the collar on your suit and sew velcro loop to the right-hand collar:

d0889352ebb07084d315caad0478d30d.jpg

Take you butt pocket flap and trim it down so that it's the same height as the collar when flipped (about 3 inches) and make it long enough so that it covers the gap between the collar points (about 5 inches). Hem up the sides so it doesn't fray. Attach a matching piece of velcro hook on the underside of it, as below:

2b1ec22445af4e401c33f41214528620.jpg

Sew this flap to the left-side collar

4313ed9526114d58ac14452378ecd009.jpg

When closed, your Mandarin collar should look like this!

9d07739f552b73d6d5ca99f8e8491f31.jpg

@BikerScout007 so the redkap like this? https://www.amazon.com/Red-Kap-Twill-Action-Coverall/dp/B007EZ1I9G/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2_sspa?crid=2H8J7UTSKL870&keywords=red+kap+flight+suit&qid=1555119973&s=gateway&sprefix=redkap+flight+%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-2-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

19 hours ago, holmie827 said:

Yep! that's what i have and it has been fairly easy to modify. 

For  reference I ordered a size 40, i'm about 150 lbs and 71 inches tall. they fit pretty good but i'll definitely have to get the arms and legs tailored for lancer. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Acidburn50 said:

I’m seeing these coveralls on the NEX site, anyone have any idea if these are thinner than the redkap coveralls? And yea I know they would need to be died. 

https://www.mynavyexchange.com/mobile/pdp/pdpLayout.jsp?productId=12840531

I have several pairs of USN issued coveralls.  Mine were issued in the 90's and early 2000's.  Assuming they have not changed since then, they are considerably thinner than the RedKap ones.  They dye really well with "Rit Dye More" fabric dye.  I documented that in my WIP.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Question regarding the leather riding patches and butt flap.  I looked at a couple of faux leather (micro-suede/micro-fiber) materials at Jo-Anne fabrics.  They are so very thin.  So I turned my attention to actual leather hides.  Then it occurred to me that I have some old black leather coats hanging in the closet.   I know this is not technically suede, but the backside of the leather very much appears like suede.  Has anyone ever used this method?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, greenyone said:

Question regarding the leather riding patches and butt flap.  I looked at a couple of faux leather (micro-suede/micro-fiber) materials at Jo-Anne fabrics.  They are so very thin.  So I turned my attention to actual leather hides.  Then it occurred to me that I have some old black leather coats hanging in the closet.   I know this is not technically suede, but the backside of the leather very much appears like suede.  Has anyone ever used this method?

Yeah someone has used that method..... the filmmakers!   That's exactly what was used with the original costumes, not suede.  It's called the "flesh side" because it's the side of the skin that faced the meat.   Suede is created by processing the flesh side of the leather.

• Like 3

This information is incredibly helpful. Thanks! I do know that the CRL lists the undersuit as approvable as a 1 or 2 piece item. Is a 2-piece suit also approvable for Lancer status?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jennyruth said:

This information is incredibly helpful. Thanks! I do know that the CRL lists the undersuit as approvable as a 1 or 2 piece item. Is a 2-piece suit also approvable for Lancer status?

Yes we just ask that it looks one-piece once you have everything on!

• Like 1

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

Yes we just ask that it looks one-piece once you have everything on!

Great! Thank you! I've been pondering how I might could more easily maneuver bathroom trips and such, and the 2-piece option was starting to sound helpful for that a little more easily tailored for shapes with curves.

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed is what might help for a pattern for the leather/suede riding patches, is if you have an old pair of ACU pants or pick one up from a surplus store.  I was looking at a pair of mine the other day and they have extra fabric at the exact same spot as the under suit. I’m planning on using that as a template when I try to make a lancer level armor. I will try and attach  a picture.  

f0b17a4d7cceed1d2b7cb78e69b33a8d.jpg

It’s hard to see cause the Camouflage haha but this was the best I can do for now. Does anyone think this would make a good template?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there any general consensus as to how far down the patches go? The picture on the CRL definitely has them under the trooper's knee armor. And, I've seen other builds with them that low. But, you mentioned them ending 2-3 inches above your knee armor. Others also seem to have shorter patches. 

1 hour ago, jennyruth said:

Is there any general consensus as to how far down the patches go? The picture on the CRL definitely has them under the trooper's knee armor. And, I've seen other builds with them that low. But, you mentioned them ending 2-3 inches above your knee armor. Others also seem to have shorter patches. 

The general consensus is --- in that ballpark.  The CRL scout was modeled after the picture in the costumes book.  BUT...the Scout in the Costumes book is a mannequin.  Not everyone is going to fit the costume the same way.  Thus the variations.

I advise 2-3 inches above your actual kneecap.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2019 at 6:15 PM, nsbuff28 said:

f0b17a4d7cceed1d2b7cb78e69b33a8d.jpg

It’s hard to see cause the Camouflage haha but this was the best I can do for now. Does anyone think this would make a good template?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few pairs of bdu's that I've shrunk out of. I'm going to cut that part out to make a template of how to fit them to the crotch area of the suit. Will lengthen of course, but want it to fit together. 

Also planning on sacrificing my old leather jacket for the patches and back flap.

• Like 1

I made a patch and sewed over them on my flight suit. You can even see them on mine with everything on. 

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, TimboSlice12 said:

I got a suit from wampawear so I'm trying to use this thread to compare. It looks like the neck part is already done. And there is no butt pockets. So now I guess all I need to do is get the leather for the riding patch and butt part?

Yeah and add the thigh straps!

On 9/3/2019 at 9:51 PM, clockworksoldier said:

I know cargo pockets/butt pockets and the like have to be removed off of the red cap coveralls, but do regular waist pockets have to be sewn shut/hidden?

I don't think you have to sew them shut, but doing does a better job at hiding them.  I sewed mine shut and cut out the inner pocket.