Advance Recon Team (ART) discussion

:o that is a thing of beauty

Thanks Mickey! I should have some extras by the end, so I'm always down for trading with other interested ARTs.

• Like 2

finally making some head way on the status with my local garrison.

joined there fb page ... not to active :(

anyways, im trying to get that sorted atm

Garrison Tyranus (Virginia)

• Shadow Hunters
  • Point of contact: Michael Thompson (shdwtrpr13)

shdwtrpr13 also goes by alex .. not sure of his status, last seen here jun'17 and on our garrison side july'17

i have reached out to him on facebook

which seems he may be inactive as his profile states "former infantry @ 501st"

and his last post is july'17 on his page

looking to get the correct info and get this art back up and active :)

• Like 2

finally making some head way on the status with my local garrison.

joined there fb page ... not to active :(

anyways, im trying to get that sorted atm

Garrison Tyranus (Virginia)

• Shadow Hunters
  • Point of contact: Michael Thompson (shdwtrpr13)

shdwtrpr13 also goes by alex .. not sure of his status, last seen here jun'17 and on our garrison side july'17

i have reached out to him on facebook

which seems he may be inactive as his profile states "former infantry @ 501st"

and his last post is july'17 on his page

looking to get the correct info and get this art back up and active :)

Do you want to step in and take the lead?

• Like 1

i had got into some talks last night with the other scouts about who is the POC for our ART. i would like to give the other scouts the opportunity first as im the newest member there but, i also mentioned to them that i will take the reigns if noone else wants to run with it.

so, at this time we are regrouping and will decide who will take over for the ART.

give us a bit of time and i will post back here with more info soon :)

• Like 1

i had got into some talks last night with the other scouts about who is the POC for our ART. i would like to give the other scouts the opportunity first as im the newest member there but, i also mentioned to them that i will take the reigns if noone else wants to run with it.

so, at this time we are regrouping and will decide who will take over for the ART.

give us a bit of time and i will post back here with more info soon :)

Sweet! Just let me know

• Like 1

I have a question:

Why does the ART fall under Garrison control, when it is meant to be a Detachment resource for Pathfinders? It is rare when Garrison leadership knows the ins-and-outs of our costume requirements, so it seems like having ARTs answer to their home Garrison chain of command defeats the very purpose of having an ART. If the ARTs are formed not only to further the interests of the Detachment, but to assist new Pathfinders and uphold Detachment standards, then what does the Garrison have to do with any of that? Garrisons should be focusing on interaction with the public, coordnating events and fundraisers, etc. Not costuming. That's why Detachments exist in the first place. If Pathfinders begin to notice standards slipping among costumes of their Detachment, and escalate these issues to the Garrison chain of command, more than likely the Garrison is just going to get cross-eyed and refer them bqck to the CRL, which is enforced by the Detachment, right? So what's the point of having the ARTs, who are *supposed* to be the embodiment of the "tip of the lance", answer to the Garrison?

The ART should be *heavily* monitored and moderated by the Det. After all, it's the values and standards of the Det that the ART is supposed to be bringing credit to.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I think there's some confusion here

ARTs are like branch offices of the Detachment in each Garrison. They aren't controlled by the Garrisons.

• Like 1

Oh. I guess I misunderstood #9 of the ART Guidelines.

So once a Pathfinder has completed their initial costume and been approved, they are handed over to the Garrison, correct? Other than that trooper directing a question directly to the Det or being referred back to the Det by the trooper's Garrison, the Det doesnt have any more dealings with the trooper? If the Garrison has no ART, do the Pathfinders just kind of fall off the Det's radar?

So once a Pathfinder has completed their initial costume and been approved, they are handed over to the Garrison, correct? Other than that trooper directing a question directly to the Det or being referred back to the Det by the trooper's Garrison, the Det doesnt have any more dealings with the trooper? If the Garrison has no ART, do the Pathfinders just kind of fall off the Det's radar?

a member can just join the garrison and never ever see or know the detachment.

the garrisons gml is who approves the member for basic

the detachment approves for level 2 (lancer in our case), 3, 4 .......

honestly, i can clearly see where the detachment needs to be involved with basic approval in the garrison ...

and having an art program mentioned/started up here at the detachment level is helpful but, no one in the garrison has to join/make an art.

its seems not much different than a mentor program ...

which i didnt even see that in my garrison during my recruit status and they even had mentors.

but, i dont think the problem lies completely within the art program ..

the problem i see is more within the crl ... its way to basic for basic ...

there is no mention of a crunched up cod piece, pizzabox/marshmallow/crooked/backward pouches and 5 gallon bucket boots and so on ...

from my experience the detachment cares more for the costumes overall look than the garrison does!

honestly, im glad i spent my recruit time here rather than at my garrison :duim:

• Like 1

What ever you do you are always under the jurisdiction of your Garrison and the Legion.

Your GML is responsible for clearing your costumes, the LMO is responsible for keeping any eye on those GML's.

If you start stepping outside of the rules and regs of the Legion, or your involvement in an ART starts to interfere with the Garrison workings (as has happened with some of the other iterations of this programme in other detachments) then you will be subject to the decisions made by your Garrison Commanding Officer.

If The Garrison CO feels for what ever reason that the ART is causing a problem within their Garrison, he can shut it down or ar least look to reprimand or bring charges against those individuals within it.

The ART programme is not sanctioned by the 501st and is not an 'official' thing. They don't have any official status or standing within the Legion at all.

The Detachment has no authority in the running of the Garrisons, or the Legion and is merely an information resource with regards to the costumes themselves. The LMO's have given some responsibility over the CRL's to the Detachments, because we are more knowledgable on the specific costumes, but even those changes to the CRL have to be agreed with the LMO's.

Hence why you are always under the purview of your local Garrison Commanding Officer, who are in turn under the jurisdiction of the Legion as a whole.

• Like 4

See, I had no idea random joes could just bypass the Det from the very beginning. I thought everyone's first step was at the Det to make their first costume. When I first went to the Legion page to research joining, the information led me to believe that I had to build a costume using Det resources before I could ever get close to membership approval in the Legion. So I signed up for a Det forum membership and got to work. I had no idea you could just grope your way through the CRL on your own and get approved at the Garrison level. And it's apparant that some members did indeed grope their way blindly through the CRL. After being exposed to the high standards of the Detachment, I don't see how troopers could be satisfied to look like Star Wars rodeo clowns.

The dubious relationship between Det and Garrison makes more sense now.

• Like 1

Unfortunately a lot of this is the case. The Detachment is here to create the costume guidelines and give build help, but the Garrison does the approving and really everything is done through them as far as your membership in the Legion. Plenty of folks sign up for the Detachment, get approved, and never come back. Some never sign up at all. (But they all sure as heck show up for a good merch run!)

I'm grateful to everyone that sticks around here to improve their costume or to help others. The ARTs are, as Ken said, meant to be a local mentor program. To promote the brand, hold armor parties, and keep folks clued in to what's happening with the Detachment. I don't know how others do it, but Scout Team Six requires folks that join to also join the Forum.

• Like 4

See, I had no idea random joes could just bypass the Det from the very beginning. I thought everyone's first step was at the Det to make their first costume. When I first went to the Legion page to research joining, the information led me to believe that I had to build a costume using Det resources before I could ever get close to membership approval in the Legion. So I signed up for a Det forum membership and got to work. I had no idea you could just grope your way through the CRL on your own and get approved at the Garrison level. And it's apparant that some members did indeed grope their way blindly through the CRL. After being exposed to the high standards of the Detachment, I don't see how troopers could be satisfied to look like Star Wars rodeo clowns.

The dubious relationship between Det and Garrison makes more sense now.

dont worry, i had the same thought ...

i joined the detachment for my costuming needs, thats where i thought is was supposed to be.

and like i said in the previous post, im glad i did anyways.

the thing i dont like is the gml standards ...

one gml can be hardcore when he looks at a costumers approval and another can be way to passive.

and then comes the mention of the crl again ... there needs to be some clarification on some of the parts .. esp. for this TB costume and more so on the soft parts.

i also see as you say "rodeo clown" costumes out there too!

is it right for a person to slap some sloppy soft parts on themselves with some armor and get approved with a gml who is passive?

then this person who got accepted with his sloppy costume ignores help from the local level if they even choose to visit the forums and be active there.

if they are not active in the forums then there is no way to give them help until you see them at a event ... and then it is to late. and if they have not cared enough to be active in either forums what chance is there they want to be active just because you asked them politely to adjust there costume and bring it to higher standard?

so, i think this is where the crl needs some work to prevent those rodeo clown costumes being approved at a basic level. it would also make the gml's approval more standardized across the legion and we wouldnt see these sloppy costumes.

and as far as the ART aspect of it all ...

its a nice feature for a detachment/garrison, esp. if the garrison doesnt have a mentoring program.

but, if your locals could care less and they are happy with rodeo clown costumes then .... what can we really do?

the only thing i think at that point would be to ask for a push from within the detachments command to make some changes to the basic crl to help avoid those types of costumes.

• Like 1

Believe me, if it were up to me, the Detachments would approve the costumes, not the Garrisons....but that's a battle for another day.

The ARTs were created to give the Detachment more of a face in the Garrison and pick up the "Pathfinder-curious" that have a better time learning in a group setting than reading a forum. Since starting Scout Team Six in 2015, the number of Scouts in my Garrison has boomed. And a lot of those folks also have gone onto become Lancers.

Now would I prefer if everyone came to the Forum? Of course! But we have to deal with the world the way that it is, not the way we wish it was.

I hope to see both of you guys heavily involved in ARTs soon!

• Like 4

Oh, I am going to shape the world into what I want it to be. Lolol

In all seriousness, I hope I can bring a critical eye and a devotion to high standards to the Carolina Garrison once I get Lancer-approved. Once I've got that feather in my cap, I'll focus on getting an ART up and running down here.

After all, isn't the Carolinas the birthplace of the 501st? What better place to be the tip of the lance?

• Like 2

The problem with costumes being approved and not meeting basic requirements is once you are approved there is now way to force you to change your costume.

I too have seen some Very poor costumes in FB groups that have been approved by local GMLs.

• Like 2

would like confirmation...

biker scout, shoretrooper and kashyyyk are all part of ART?

Correct.

"The purpose of the ART is to promote the Pathfinder's costumes within the Garrison, help prospective Pathfinders with their builds, encourage older TBs/CBs to stay up-to-date with the Pathfinders CRL and assist current Pathfinders going for Lancer status."

Since that mission statement was written before Shoretroopers came on board, they'd be included as well.

• Like 1

update ...

i will be the poc for the group

our current co has gave his blessing to revive the group and have fun scouting :)

reached out to the recruits in the group and waiting on more replies .. will be reaching out to the tb's in the group next and then adding the shoretroopers in our garrison, they where never brought into the group :( we dont have any kashyyyk or rebels scouts but, will be on the look out for them to add them to the group.

we need a current command staff from the detachment on our fb group too ... chex is a member there but, im not sure if that counts as a current bs.n command.

we will also be looking to change the name .. as a couple of us dont really think shadow hunters fits to well.

it sounds like we are hunting our own specops shadows :D

question ... for level 2 biker scouts have lancer, shoretroopers have vanguard ...

what are the level 2 names for kashyyyk and rebel biker scout?

• Like 2

update ...

i will be the poc for the group

our current co has gave his blessing to revive the group and have fun scouting :)

reached out to the recruits in the group and waiting on more replies .. will be reaching out to the tb's in the group next and then adding the shoretroopers in our garrison, they where never brought into the group :( we dont have any kashyyyk or rebels scouts but, will be on the look out for them to add them to the group.

we need a current command staff from the detachment on our fb group too ... chex is a member there but, im not sure if that counts as a current bs.n command.

we will also be looking to change the name .. as a couple of us dont really think shadow hunters fits to well.

it sounds like we are hunting our own specops shadows :D

question ... for level 2 biker scouts have lancer, shoretroopers have vanguard ...

what are the level 2 names for kashyyyk and rebel biker scout?

Sweet, I will put those changes in. And feel free to add me to the FB group.

Kashy and Rebel Scout do not have Level 2 yet!

Question. Are we allowed to have new people join our local ART? I have five members that are not 501st members and working on their scout trooper costumes? I just need a straight answer. We'd love for them to join us. Please advise. Thank you.

Question. Are we allowed to have new people join our local ART? I have five members that are not 501st members and working on their scout trooper costumes? I just need a straight answer. We'd love for them to join us. Please advise. Thank you.

Of course! The whole point of the ART is to get non-Pathfinders and make them Pathfinders.

Think of the ART as an extension of the Detachment. We have hundreds of non-501st members in this Forum. Those people are just as welcome to join an ART

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so we have a new name nailed down.

10th C.A.R.T.

10th for Virginia being 10th in the union

C. for Composite being made up of various parts and elements

A.R.T. being the Advance Recon Team

I just made a public post across all of our squads, to hopefully draw our pathfinder members in and get this group running :)

• Like 1

Alright, so we have a new name nailed down.

10th C.A.R.T.

10th for Virginia being 10th in the union

C. for Composite being made up of various parts and elements

A.R.T. being the Advance Recon Team

I just made a public post across all of our squads, to hopefully draw our pathfinder members in and get this group running :)

I like it! List updated