Advance Recon Team (ART) discussion

Because we love to talk on bs.n!

Is there an approval process and if so, how do we get the process started?

Since this is new for all of us we haven't nailed down every procedure just yet. I would say to organize it as best as you can on your end -- reach out to the other scouts, start up a FB group or something similar, and then come to us when you have it as nailed down as you can.

We formed our own unofficial squad a year or two ago so we have it all already done other than adding one of you to our facebook group. I can have you added in a few minutes though.

Maybe as garrisons get to that point they start a thread detailing all the important info such as name, location, logo, # of members, etc. Kind of like the Lancer application threads.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of following your lead, Mickey, and starting an ART for Imperial Sands Garrison (San Diego). I believe there about 5 of us scouts that troop regularly and I'd like to raise the standards of old build approvals, help people with improvements, welcome new members, and guide new builds. I just have to finish my remaining Lancer requirements and finally get Lancer approved first.

• Like 3

We formed our own unofficial squad a year or two ago so we have it all already done other than adding one of you to our facebook group. I can have you added in a few minutes though.

Maybe as garrisons get to that point they start a thread detailing all the important info such as name, location, logo, # of members, etc. Kind of like the Lancer application threads.

Yeah don't know about that one, as fire teams and the like fall outside of 501st officialdom! And if you want to point me in the direction of your ART I'll be happy to join up

I'm thinking of following your lead, Mickey, and starting an ART for Imperial Sands Garrison (San Diego). I believe there about 5 of us scouts that troop regularly and I'd like to raise the standards of old build approvals, help people with improvements, welcome new members, and guide new builds. I just have to finish my remaining Lancer requirements and finally get Lancer approved first.

Do it! Reach out to everyone and start a group. I started a FB group and added the other scouts to it.

• Like 1

DRG is working on getting one started now...if one of the Command team wants to request to join the group it is "Scouts of the DRG" at this point..we're just getting started, trying to decide on a name, etc...

DRG is working on getting one started now...if one of the Command team wants to request to join the group it is "Scouts of the DRG" at this point..we're just getting started, trying to decide on a name, etc...

Is it a Facebook group and if so, is it secret? I can't find it.

When I started ST6, I made it a secret group, but I found it was a pain in the ass to add people I wasn't friends with because they couldn't search for it. So I switched it to a Closed group.

I'm getting my garrison on board. I will be working on the 5 scout minimum for ART. We're currently voting on a name for our team and I'll be applying to work on my lancer status. I know what needs to be changed by heart. As soon as we get a name I'll post up the Group info for a member of command to join and finish our approval.

• Like 1

I'm getting my garrison on board. I will be working on the 5 scout minimum for ART. We're currently voting on a name for our team and I'll be applying to work on my lancer status. I know what needs to be changed by heart. As soon as we get a name I'll post up the Group info for a member of command to join and finish our approval.

There is no minimum to start an ART. Just a desire to spread the glory of the Pathfinders to your garrison!

• Like 1

Just checked the list and a state wide ART is already there. Better join up.

Yes, sir! You'll be in good hands with the DL

I have the SpecOps people in my area forming up into a team. We have enough scouts in the Tampa Bay area to make a decent recon team.

The Pathfinders ART does not preclude any type of local group you may or may not start. But the ART is the only one we will associate with. Make sense?

Jim, we should get on this.

Yep, it's already come up on the SG boards. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow. I've already filled Mickey in on the, drama.

• Like 1

Drama....ugh the best response to drama I can think of is a fully charged turbolaser battery.

• Like 2

Okay scouts!

Some bugs are working their way through the system as we roll the ART program out. This was expected and we will continue to fine tune as we go along. Let me just address a few things and this is NOT about any garrison in particular, as these issues have come up with a few garrisons.

I will start with stating the mission purpose of the ART:

"The purpose of the ART is to promote the Pathfinder's costumes within the Garrison, help prospective Pathfinders with their builds, encourage older TBs/CBs to stay up-to-date with the Pathfinders CRL and assist current Pathfinders going for Lancer status."

So in other words, though there may be a social element to the ART, that is not its purpose. THIS IS A MENTORING PROGRAM FIRST AND FOREMOST. Anyone wanting to start an ART or run one needs to understand that their job #1 is to do what it says above --

• help new scouts with their builds
  • help current scouts stay up-to-date with the CRL and
  • assist people trying for Lancer

Everything else: meetups, merch and whatnot are secondary. WAY secondary.

And this is why we originally were going to have a requirement that the ART founder be a Lancer, because we really want someone who is committed to this costume and absolutely has a passion for it to help their fellow scouts and scout prospects in their garrison.

That means a lot of recruiting too. I talk to people in SCG all the time about the scout and let them know that there are resources available to them if they choose to go down this path. Scout Team Six has gone from an initial 25 members to almost 60 since December. You know how many social meet ups we've had in that time? One. Because the point is the costume. Not to start yet another clique in garrisons where there are already several.

Next, let me reiterate another rule: One ART per Garrison. So one means one. Not one per squad, one per city, one per block. One per Garrison.

So I've been getting "yeah but our garrison is big, how are we going to meet up?"

First -- see the above. Meetups aren't the point.

Second, Southern California Garrison is a pretty big place geography-wise. It would take hours to drive from one end to another. There are several Scout Team Six members I have never met. It doesn't matter, because I and the others still help them with their builds via our FB group. Because that is what the ART is for. Getting the members the best information and tips quickly to do their builds and offer plenty of encouragement along the way. Because though BS.n is great for info, it lacks the local touch that the ART can provide.

Now if folks want to start up little social groups of scouts in their area so they can hang and make little logos and stuff to put on their shoulder bells -- fine! Do it! But that's not an ART and will not be recognized as such by bikerscout.net.

If anyone is curious about how our ART operates, please hit me up and I will add you to our FB group. I promise that unless you are really interested in the costume and the process of building one you will be bored to tears!

But if you really love this costume and have a passion for it like I do, you may have the right stuff to start an ART :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am interested in starting one myself as Mickey can tell you from me doing strafing runs on his PM box (Sorry mate)

I realize this is more of a mentoring program and help group than a social thing, which is fine, that was already what I was doing and our group is already plenty social (like we see each other weekly).

I have contacted my Garrison leaders for official permission to begin the ART here in the Midsouth Garrison (if such a thing is required?) But no answers yet.

Looking forward to making more scouts!

• Like 1

I am interested in starting one myself as Mickey can tell you from me doing strafing runs on his PM box (Sorry mate)

I realize this is more of a mentoring program and help group than a social thing, which is fine, that was already what I was doing and our group is already plenty social (like we see each other weekly).

I have contacted my Garrison leaders for official permission to begin the ART here in the Midsouth Garrison (if such a thing is required?) But no answers yet.

Looking forward to making more scouts!

"Mentoring program" - that's perfect!