TB - Scout Trooper - The Mandalorian CRL drafting

Nothing here is final until it's final.  Post any suggestions below.  

Required Costume Components

The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Mando scout helmet.png Helmet
  • Gloss white or semi-gloss.
  • Moderate to heavy desert-brown toned weathering.
  • Lens is black in color and obscures wearer's eyes.
  • Decals are screen accurate.
  • Snout greeblie is medium gray and the aerator portion is painted black.
  • Inner edge of snout recess is black.
  • Bolts are either flat or have concave centers.
  • Helmet is true to the shape of screen used helmet.
  • Earholes are cut out -- mesh or paint is not acceptable.
    • Area behind earholes inside the helmet is blacked out, either with paint or tape. No interior white should show from the outside of the helmet when worn.

Generic Balaclava.jpg Balaclava
  • A balaclava is a black head sock/hood that is worn under the helmet and is used primarily to hide any view of the wearer's skin and/or facial hair.

Generic-black-coverall.jpg Flight Suit
  • The undersuit is a TIE Fighter pilot-style flight suit
  • One piece black coverall/jumpsuit/flight suit with a front invisible zipper.
  • Approximately 1.5" (38.1mm) tall mandarin collar with a chevron shaped, left-over-right velcro closure.
  • On the left bicep there is a code cylinder pocket with no flap, and vertical stitching dividing it into pen sleeves.
    • The bottom front corner of the pocket is cut off at a bevel on the side pointing in view direction, with the broader upside forming the border of the pen sleeves.
  • The right sleeve has a cargo pocket, about 6" (152mm) wide and 5.75" (146mm) on the bicep.
    • The pocket has a 2"(50.8mm) flap.
  • (2) large chest pockets and (2) large front pockets below the belt, without any zipper or flaps.
  • (2) leg pockets with flaps, similar in proportion as the right arm sleeve pocket.
  • If Imperial Cogs are present on the shoulders, they are covered by the shoulder armor and not visible.

TK anh stunt neckseal.jpeg Neck Seal
  • Black with horizontal ribs
  • Conceals the entire neck
  • Fitted to the wearer.

Mando scout shoulders.png Shoulder Armor
  • Gloss white or semi-gloss
  • Black elastic secures the armor around upper arm.
  • These pieces are free of any adornment.

Mando scout biceps.png Upper Arm Armor
  • Armor has a recessed area with a "t-bit" detail attached within.
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around upper arm.

Mando scout forearms.png Forearm Armor
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around forearm.

TB scout gloves.jpeg Gloves
  • Black leather and gauntlet length.
  • Glove details include:
    • Black suede or faux suede patches on top of the middle finger, index finger and thumb.
    • Four tightly spaced ribs that span the knuckles.
  • No labels/logos, clips, or external straps.

Mando scout chest.png Chest Armor
  • There is a recessed rectangular area present over the right breast that is painted a medium to dark gray.
  • The sides of the chest armor attach to the back armor with white webbing.

Mando scout back.png Back Armor
  • The back armor has a center tank attached.
  • The top of the tank is flat with a detail piece painted black.
    • Top detail piece uses the same greeblies as seen on the screen-used armor.
    • Top detail piece has a white painted circle and red line detail.
    • OPTIONAL:
      • The tank has a black stripe detail.
      • "Rank bars" present on the right side of the tank can number between 0 to 6 stripes.

Mando scout cummerbund.png Cummerbund, Codpiece and Pouches
  • Cummerbund
    • Made from white fabric
    • Weathered in similar style to armor
    • Closes in back with 50mm (2") hook and loop fastener.
    • Closure is right-over-left.
    • Visible gap between the chest armor and top of cummerbund.
    • Visible below the scout's belt
    • Front of cummerbund has 5 ribs of equal width made of 6 vertical stitch lines, centered between the two fabric pouches.
  • Codpiece
    • Tapered codpiece has a sewn inverted curve detail.
    • Black elastic strap connects codpiece between the legs to either the back of the cummerbund or the flight suit.
    • Weathered in similar style to armor
  • Pouches
    • Pouches are white or off-white.
    • Weathered in similar style to armor.
    • Attached to the cummerbund.
    • Droop over the scout's belt or are worn with the belt over top of them.
    • May be worn in the ROTJ Scout manner, or reversed.

Mando scout belt.png Belt
  • The belt fastener is made from white webbing material.
    • Belt fasteners are attached with one (1) 1/8 silver rivet on either end of the plastic belt.
  • Two plastic hip boxes (“drop boxes”) hang from the sides of the belt.
  • Drop boxes connect to the belt via white webbing straps.
  • Drop box indents are painted the same color as chest indent.
  • 4 black parachute buckles attach to the drop box straps, one on either side of the drop box.
    • Rear parachute buckles are threaded with the white webbing straps in front of the buckle.

Mando scout TD.png Thermal Detonator
  • Thermal detonator box with short corrugated hose attaches to the back of the belt.
    • May be attached by clips or zipties.
  • The correct thermal detonator greeblies are attached to the box.
    • The rectangular part of the thermal detonator greeblie is the same as used in the rebel Endor trooper rank badge.
    • The round greeblie is the same used on the Scout tank topper.
    • The greeblies may be attached on either side of the detonator housing..

Mando scout knees.png Knee Armor
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around the leg.
  • Worn upside-down.

Mando scout boots.png Boots
  • White with moderate to heavy desert-brown toned weathering.
  • The soles of the boot are tan.
  • A "dog bone" shaped strap covers the bridge of the foot.
  • Dog bones have double stitching along the rounded edges as seen in the film.
  • The boots are secured up the back using 25mm (1 inch) white hook and loop fastener.
  • The calf of the boot rises to just slightly underneath the bottom of the knee armor.
  • Left boot closure is left-over-right.
  • Right boot closure is right-over-left.

Mando scout holster.png Holster
  • Attached to the outside of the right boot with 1/8 rivets.
  • The blaster pistol fits into the holster.

Optional Accessories

Items below are optional costume accessories. These items are not required for approval, but if present appear as described below. If adding in an accessory after initial approval, the item still needs to be submitted to local GML for approval before use.

TB scout pistol.jpeg Hold-out Blaster
  • Flat or semi-gloss black.
  • Blaster does not have any visible trigger.
  • Blaster is lightly weathered.

Mando scout tote.png Tote Bag
  • Khaki British P37 Pack-styled bag.
  • Strap replaced with Military Double Prong Canvas Belt.
  • A silver plate is attached to the lower right portion of the bag flap.
  • Mounted on the plate are 3 push button-style greeblies:
    • The two outer buttons have red covers
    • The center button is white.

• Like 4

Tote bag has a button greeble consisting of (2) red buttons and (1) white button.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some small edits. Borrowed some terminology from the Tie Pilot CRL for the flight suit and edited some other details in bold.

Flight Suit

• The undersuit is a one or two-piece black textile suit, such as military flightsuits, motorcycle racing suits, industrial work clothing (Red Kap/Dickies), or similar suits modified appropriately.
  • A Mandarin style collar closure flap covers the neck area with a chevron shaped, left-over-right velcro closure.
  • The suit is free of any visible labels, logos or zippers (including built in flight suit pockets).
  • (2) leg pockets with straight flaps.

Belt and Detonator

• Moderate to heavy Sandtrooper-style weathering
  • The front and four "boxes" of the belt are made of plastic.
  • The remainder of the belt that fastens at the back of the waist is made from webbing material.
  • There are only two (2) visible rivets on the belt: one on each side toward the back to connect the webbing closure material to the plastic belt
  • Hanging from the sides of the belt are two plastic hip boxes ("drop boxes").
    • 4 black parachute buckles attach to the drop box straps, one on either side of the drop box.
    • The parachute buckles attached to the back of the belt are threaded with the white textile straps in front of the buckle. 
    • Drop boxes connect to the belt via white textile straps.
      • If using off-white cummerbund pouches and side straps, the drop box straps are also off-white.
  • Thermal detonator box with short corrugated hose attaches to the back of the belt.
  • The correct thermal detonator greeblies are attached to the box.
    • The rectangular part of the thermal detonator greeblie, fixed on the left right side of the detonator, is the same as used in the rebel Endor trooper rank badge.
    • On the right left hand side is the same round greeblie as used on the Scout tank topper.
    • See the detonator detail page for a close up image of the greeblies.

Knee Armor

• Knee armor is worn inverted, as compared to the ROTJ Scout
  • Moderate to heavy Sandtrooper-style weathering
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around the leg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Some small edits. Borrowed some terminology from the Tie Pilot CRL for the flight suit and edited some other details in bold.

Knee Armor

• Knee armor is worn inverted, as compared to the ROTJ Scout
  •  

Oh my, how could I miss that??  I must still be in denial :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Things I had noticed:

Just copy and paste the TIE Pilot or Imperial Crewman flightsuit sections into this, since that's what it is. Omit the vest section, since there is none.

1" woven style elastic to secure shoulder bells, biceps, forearms, knees. No secondary upper strap on knees like the ROTJ knees.

No shoulder bridge cloth covers.

One of the two TB's had no pinstriping on his tank. Just the tank topper. So that maybe could be an optional thing?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr Fett said:

Things I had noticed:

Just copy and paste the TIE Pilot or Imperial Crewman flightsuit sections into this, since that's what it is. Omit the vest section, since there is none.

1" woven style elastic to secure shoulder bells, biceps, forearms, knees. No secondary upper strap on knees like the ROTJ knees.

No shoulder bridge cloth covers.

One of the two TB's had no pinstriping on his tank. Just the tank topper. So that maybe could be an optional thing?

1. Will do...except the vest, it is clearly there in some shots.  [EDITED]

2. We won't use exact measurements on a Level 1 CRL

3. That was already taken out

4. We'll try to get a consensus from all the Scouts on the show.  We typically don't write CRLs to allow for every modification seen, but instead to represent a general idea of what the costume is supposed to be.  

9 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

1. Will do...except the vest, it is clearly there in some shots.

Does that make the vest optional?  Or are there more seen onscreen with than without?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

Does that make the vest optional?  Or are there more seen onscreen with than without?

Ya know what?  Never mind we will remove the vest.  I'm looking at that scene again on my TV and I can see now that it's the TIE Pilot pocket on the sleeve, not a vest.  

Consider the vest gone!

• Like 3

If it helps the armor is from Walt's Trooper Factory and the soft parts (including vests) and boots were made by Steph Mortimer. There's some debate over the helmet. WTF provided helmets but I'm not sure if those are them on screen. Some people have said EFX helmets, and others have said EFX with WTF face plates. 

Also, in ep. 8 the greeblies for the thermal detonator are reversed. I think this is because you can see they are attached with zip ties to the belt.

The belt looks to be a regular canvass belt used by the TK's. You can see it at Ep8 3:19  The weathering makes it stand out.

Same time stamp shows one scout with pin-striping on the tank and one without. 

Same time stamp and you can see they both clearly have vests on. I think there are some "hero" and "stunt" TB's in the series with varying degrees of detail.

Oh I am well aware of the armor maker.  ;)   We don't endorse armor makers in the CRLs so it doesn't matter.

I've heard the rumor about the face plate but it doesn't look like a WTF faceplate to me so I don't know.  

I looked at the Scouts on the bikes closer and the "vests" just seem to be the pocket on the TIE Pilot jumpsuit they are wearing.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tarrif said:

If it helps the armor is from Walt's Trooper Factory and the soft parts (including vests) and boots were made by Steph Mortimer. There's some debate over the helmet. WTF provided helmets but I'm not sure if those are them on screen. Some people have said EFX helmets, and others have said EFX with WTF face plates. 

Also, in ep. 8 the greeblies for the thermal detonator are reversed. I think this is because you can see they are attached with zip ties to the belt.

The belt looks to be a regular canvass belt used by the TK's. You can see it at Ep8 3:19  The weathering makes it stand out.

Same time stamp shows one scout with pin-striping on the tank and one without. 

Same time stamp and you can see they both clearly have vests on. I think there are some "hero" and "stunt" TB's in the series with varying degrees of detail.

No vest. The helmet is full efx. I got a pretty good idea why they went with efx😏. Hero and stunt? I highly doubt they would even consider it after seeing how they actually protrayed the scouts. It was a hit and run when it came to the TB's.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stroker said:

No vest. The helmet is full efx. I got a pretty good idea why they went with efx😏. Hero and stunt? I highly doubt they would even consider it after seeing how they actually protrayed the scouts. It was a hit and run when it came to the TB's.

Yeah we are only doing one version of this CRL.  There were a lot of Scouts in ROTJ that had a small difference here and there.  The CRL for that Scout is a broad consensus of what the ideal version is supposed to be.  We will do the same with the Mandalorian Scout CRL.  

• Like 3

I did notice that the one TB without the baby shoulder bag (aka the one with no tank pinstripes) is also the one who had his cumberbun pouches tucked behind his plastic belt. So likely as time goes on, you'll start seeing 501st TB's of this costume do random mixes of stuff like this.

19 minutes ago, Mr Fett said:

I did notice that the one TB without the baby shoulder bag (aka the one with no tank pinstripes) is also the one who had his cumberbun pouches tucked behind his plastic belt. So likely as time goes on, you'll start seeing 501st TB's of this costume do random mixes of stuff like this.

That's why all this is going into its own CRL.  ROTJ Scouts won't be subject to the poor choices of the TV show.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Since BikerScout007 asked me about the neck seal in another thread, I'll put it in here as well. There is a neck seal. 

Right after Adam Pally says "can I see it?" (baby Yoda), Jason Sudeikis then says a few short things, then tilts his head all the way back, exposing the neck. I count 5 ribs on a neck seal showing above the collar of his TIE Pilot jumpsuit.

Now, as far as a CRL goes, I guess it depends on how the helmet sits on a certain costumers head. For some people, the helmet might drop far enough down the collar where you'd never see if they even had on a neck seal or not. But on others with perhaps longer necks, having a visible neck seal might be prudent.

• Like 1

I'll give it another look!  Sounds like it's something that could be optional?  

Small suggestion, can we change the name to "Imperial Remnant Scout"? Just a thought.
The ROTJ Scout is not called "The Galactic Empire Scout" so....

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.  How's this CRL progress going?  Wasn't sure if anything specific was holding anything up or if any help was needed for anything?

Sorry, I'm new to the detachment and looking to make this as soon as the CRL is approved.  I'm ready to pull the trigger on some parts... so just curious.  Thanks much :)

3 hours ago, bobafett4ever said:

Hello.  How's this CRL progress going?  Wasn't sure if anything specific was holding anything up or if any help was needed for anything?

Sorry, I'm new to the detachment and looking to make this as soon as the CRL is approved.  I'm ready to pull the trigger on some parts... so just curious.  Thanks much :)

Most important thing to have when drafting the CRL is a completed costume.  A CRL cannot be approved until we have a costume that we can photograph.  

Fortunately, we are working with @Tarrif on that.  He's very close to completing his build.  At which point we'll be able to get photos, do the final tweaks on the language and then submit to the LMO team.  And we also happen to have the best LMO in the biz to help us sail smoothly through that process.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BikerScout007 said:

Most important thing to have when drafting the CRL is a completed costume.  A CRL cannot be approved until we have a costume that we can photograph.  

Fortunately, we are working with @Tarrif on that.  He's very close to completing his build.  At which point we'll be able to get photos, do the final tweaks on the language and then submit to the LMO team.  And we also happen to have the best LMO in the biz to help us sail smoothly through that process.

Awesome... Yes... Tarrif was the person on Reddit who actually provided me info on where to begin to get parts :). Thanks much and I really appreciate you guys working on this one!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tarrif said:

Got my soft parts from Steph Mortimer. Gonna weather then and ready to wear this weekend. 

Excellent!  Let's get this CRL done.

• Like 5