Melanie's WIP-Scout (RotJ)

Posted (edited)

Flight Suit

Although I actually wanted to have a two-piece-undersuit I finally chose the Dickies Worker’s Coverall. It is my first costume build, I didn’t want it to be more difficult than necessary.

FlightSuit.jpg?rlkey=mss0lem9rso0sgbchb6

Collar

I like the Mandarin-Style, but since the Kent-ish collar the Coverall came with is obviously fine, I left it like that. In the long run, I may would like to have a Neck Seal.

So, I removed all the pockets, and that really was no fun at all. For all heavy duty workers out there, I really recommend Dickies Workwear. They have sturdy seams! I even needed to rip the waist seam to remove the breast pockets.

Then I fitted arms and legs to remove the flare.

FlightSuitFit.jpg?rlkey=quetox2hgoaufbv3

I do already have the material for the thigh straps at home, but I won‘t rip seams again before I have all the material to finish it.

So thigh patches and butt flap are still missing, as I have to order the leather first. But with Christmas, buying the whole armour, paying taxes/insurances etc. and finally going to Sweden I put that aside for now.

I am planning to buy faux leather for the patches, so that the suit will still be machine washable (I like machine washable...) but real leather for the butt flap for durability as well as appearance.

Edited by Monumendalorian
Pictures embedded from Dropbox
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Armour Parts

I was lucky enough to buy a whole armour just before Christmas, which also made for a fun trip to Weimar including mulled wine on the Christmas Market (I kept the lovely red and golden mug), a fantastic vietnamese restaurant and a visit to the Bauhaus-Museum.

If any of you has the chance to go there – go!

Armour.jpg?rlkey=8l32peq1gv83waoyqavmu6t

Picture embedded from Dropbox

Posted (edited)

Balaclava

I am an almost-every-day-biker to work, so of course I own various balaclavas for varous weather conditions.

Balaclava.jpg?rlkey=tu3887m5kh5awhksekkl

The Text probably will not show. If so, that should be the smallest problem to fix.

Posted (edited)

Gloves

Christkind brought me Wampa Wear Gloves. They apparently cost an arm and a leg to import them to GER, but they are very comfy

Gloves.jpg?rlkey=xtffznm5o3zf4tzueymjvbc

Hey Melanie! Welcome to the Pathfinders and thank you for taking the time to document your build. It will be helpful not only for you, but also for future scouts.

Just a time saving tip as you move forward with your build. Keep in mind that what cannot be seen when wearing the costume doesn’t need to be addressed. For example, the breast pockets on the coveralls are covered by the flak vest and chest armor so they aren’t visible. You can, as you did, remove them if you desire, but it’d be okay if you chose not to b/c they can’t be seen when wearing the costume. Sometimes these little details can be timesavers as you build your kit.

We’re here to help if needed, so don’t hesitate to ask us any questions you may have along the way. Keep up the great work. Things are coming along great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aradun said:

For example, the breast pockets on the coveralls are covered by the flak vest and chest armor so they aren’t visible. You can, as you did, remove them if you desire, but it’d be okay if you chose not to b/c they can’t be seen when wearing the costume.

Yes, I actually thought about that first. But, tbh, the zippers were quite irritating on my secondary characteristics 😉 I'm not quite in the lower cup-ranges

Vest

I followed the T-Shirt-to-Flakvest – Tutorial I found here. Easy to follow, highly recommended!

I got a 100% (organic) cotton shirt. Even if the sleeves are padded with Polyester, I hope to stay less hot and smelly with my cotton parts. I made the ribs 1“ wide, same as on the cummerbund.

Vestsleeves.jpg?rlkey=b00nl6v9vl98gdc4pq

The vest will be left separate from the flight suit, codpiece and cummerbund.

I’m not sure yet if I like it the way it turned out, but it is definitely better than I expected when I started cutting the T-Shirt

The vest sleeves should extend no further than 1.5 inches past the bottom edge of the shoulder bell, but I didn’t check it yet.

Vestclosure.jpg?rlkey=2grixebifjixh28n1xVest.jpg?rlkey=oo5frlrclapzuq8daxka0m9jl

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cummerbund

Mercerized Cotton should translate to Baumwollsatin, the lady in the fabric store told me. This should have been an easy thing to do, but I miscalculated even twice (that’s when you think „ah, I just do that square thingy after work, nothing fancy“) and I was just sheer lucky that I ended up with enough fabric at one piece that I didn’t have to start piecing.

I measured it 44“ wide and 9.5“ high, so that, when I subtract the usual 5/8“ seam allowance, I end up just over 8“. That should equal the length of from just under the chest armor down to the belt.

Cummerbund.jpg?rlkey=fwxir26lmfa51r35mai

Closure is right-over-left with the top secret 50mm velcro that I had to order in Poland (!!!) because it seemed impossible to buy here in GER.

I also chose to let the seam be visible on the bottom of the cummerbund because it is obviously screen accurate.

The padding is a lot thicker than the one in the vest.

Front of cummerbund has 5 ribs that are each 1“ wide.

The cummerbund is going to be stuck to the vest via velcro patch one day in the near future, but it is not done yet.

• Like 2

Hi Melanie and welcome! Love how your build is going so far. I'm going to tag in one of our fantastic armorers MJ @M.J she is a master tailor and can help with pointers should you need. We're here to help you be successful so please feel free to post up if you need. If you haven't had the chance to reach out to the German Garrison I would like to encourage you to do so here: https://501st.de they will be the organization that will approve you into the Legion and you can find folks locally that can help as well if you need.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to seeing more of this great build as it progresses!

Hi ya Melanie,

Not quite sure what you meant about the seam's on the cummberbun and where it is. 

Would love to see photos, before I can advise.

Btw good job on the vest and overalls, I did do a two piece, nothing stopping you making one for those long trooping days also you can use lighter fabric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, M.J said:

Hi ya Melanie,

Not quite sure what you meant about the seam's on the cummberbun and where it is. 

Would love to see photos, before I can advise.

Btw good job on the vest and overalls, I did do a two piece, nothing stopping you making one for those long trooping days also you can use lighter fabric.

Yeah, I'm having some trouble uploading or embedding pictures. I actually blame my bad Internet Connection here. Hopefully it will be better when I'm at my parents around Easter 

You can bring down the "quality "I think thats what they call it, by running them though social media. 

Do you know how to attach with  the button on the right side "other Media" 🙂

8 hours ago, M.J said:

You can bring down the "quality "I think thats what they call it, by running them though social media. 

Do you know how to attach with  the button on the right side "other Media" 🙂

Here's a thread that might be helpful to you.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 6:17 PM, Monumendalorian said:

Cummerbund

Mercerized Cotton should translate to Baumwollsatin, the lady in the fabric store told me. This should have been an easy thing to do, but I miscalculated even twice (that’s when you think „ah, I just do that square thingy after work, nothing fancy“) and I was just sheer lucky that I ended up with enough fabric at one piece that I didn’t have to start piecing.

I measured it 44“ wide and 9.5“ high, so that, when I subtract the usual 5/8“ seam allowance, I end up just over 8“. That should equal the length of from just under the chest armor down to the belt.

Closure is right-over-left with the top secret 50mm velcro that I had to order in Poland (!!!) because it seemed impossible to buy here in GER.

I also chose to let the seam be visible on the bottom of the cummerbund because it is obviously screen accurate.

The padding is a lot thicker than the one in the vest.

Front of cummerbund has 5 ribs that are each 1“ wide.

The cummerbund is going to be stuck to the vest via velcro patch one day in the near future, but it is not done yet.

Hey,

If you get the chance to post pictures of this I would be super grateful. I am currently about to start the softgoods and have mulled over Materials and their german translations. So it would be super helpful to see if the "Baumwollsatin" looks like other peoples mercurized cotton!

For all the straps and velcro, I went to https://www.extremtextil.de/.

For me that was just around the corner and came recommended by a friend who sews his own skydiving clothes. When it came to all the different strap and velcro sizes they had everything and were super helpful and patient with me standing in their shop with an excel spreadsheet on my phone 😅.

And they do have an online shop if you don't live close by!

Hej, I'm in Stockholm atm, so I'll write you just a short PM tonight or maybe tomorrow. I'll take care of that embedding-mess later. 

I don't have pictures of the finished soft parts on me anyway, but I have some of the making of them on Facebook, if you have an account there

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 5:11 PM, Retrofire said:

Here's a thread that might be helpful to you.

Thank you! It obviously was a communication-problem with my Dropbox from my mobile phone. Whatever. I updated the postings now from my computer at home and that worked, yaayyyy!

Codpiece

I used the pattern that I found on becomingbobafett.com (btw. is the owner of this page still active here? This page has been sooooo helpful, thanks so much!), who had obviously found it somewhere here.

I made a mockup, and it looked unbelievably silly 😆

Codpiece-Mockup.jpg?rlkey=letdanu16k4mv4

so I made the real version a good bit smaller, after I got advise from a trooper from the German Garrison.

CodPiece.jpg?rlkey=anwd7qwavrvlninyw3uzs

• Like 2

@wide, this is the material I usedMaterial.jpg?rlkey=p60a55s67cvt6xwe6b3fa

the Volumenvlies I used for Codpiece ans Vestsleeves is about 3 mm thick and... aufzubügeln (dunno the english word for when you stick smth onto smth by ironing it). The Vlies I used for the Cummerbund is 5 mm but folded double, so actually 1 cm thick.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Monumendalorian said:

Codpiece

I used the pattern that I found on becomingbobafett.com (btw. is the owner of this page still active here? This page has been sooooo helpful, thanks so much!), who had obviously found it somewhere here.

I made a mockup, and it looked unbelievably silly 😆

so I made the real version a good bit smaller, after I got advise from a trooper from the German Garrison.

CodPiece.jpg?rlkey=anwd7qwavrvlninyw3uzs

That's looking GREAT!  Becomingbobafett.com is my site.  Glad to hear that it's a helpful resource for other trooper builds.  Keep up the awesome work!

• Like 3

Love the mockup Melanie! It's looking really good and kudos to you for doing it yourself! If you need the pattern for the pouches you can find it here:

Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Monumendalorian said:

@wide, this is the material I usedMaterial.jpg?rlkey=p60a55s67cvt6xwe6b3fa

the Volumenvlies I used for Codpiece ans Vestsleeves is about 3 mm thick and... aufzubügeln (dunno the english word for when you stick smth onto smth by ironing it). The Vlies I used for the Cummerbund is 5 mm but folded double, so actually 1 cm thick.

Thank you! This will be super helpful for me. Along with the pattern of @f3tt4l1f3you posted this will really make creating the softparts easier for me!

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:31 AM, M.J said:

@M.J, I still owe you an answer. I didn't find the posting where I read about the seam, but I found the photo I've seen here in Scoutopedia

Seam.jpg.jpg?rlkey=r2wnranopwtj9729l6mbp

Ahh thats good! 

Basically its hidden. Thank you for clarifying. The name of the seam has eluded me. I'll remember it when I'm in the shower.... and forget again.

• Haha 1