Build Your Own Vest... w/Pictures!

Hey, everyone! I've compiled a tutorial here to help you build your own flak vest. I was in the same position as you where I only needed 1 or 2 parts more to finish, one of those being the vest and not knowing where to get one (or didn't have a lot of $ to spend on one!). Anyway, thanks to help from Thing (thanks, Thing!), I was able to finish my vest and have listed my process step-by-step with pictures... trying to make the process as easy as possible. So have at it, let me know what you think, and feel free to ask me any questions about the tutorial.

e0b7Xxq.jpg

giZkcIe.jpg

qNTfLQT.jpg

xRwHG7q.jpg

zRd0Ntr.jpg

dbQXzks.jpg

• Like 26

Thanks, Jim! Finally got the PDF on there... had to lower the res on the document, especially some of the pics so I hope they're still clear. Just made it under the 500KB limit! If I have to post any other tutorials, I'll have to do it the ol' fashioned way ^_^

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I made this over the weekend using a 2XL black shirt from Joanns. I normally wear an XL shirt comfortably so I thought one size up would do the trick. Turns out I should have gone bigger to account for the velcro. I had to add length in the back, not a huge deal though. I like the results considering I just started sewing a couple weeks ago and I spent less than $5 on this (the lady at the register scanned the wrong coupon). The sleeves end just after the shoulder bells.

vest1_zps316ea05d.jpg

vest2_zpsc0d10565.jpg

vest3_zps48bcd8f8.jpg

• Like 2

Hey, Joe, looks great! :D

I'm glad that the tutorial was helpful for you and (hopefully) easy to follow! I hope you didn't have too much trouble on re-attaching the sleeves... I think that was the hardest part to try and explain

• Like 1

Thank you for the tutorial! The sleeves weren't too much trouble, I did a straight stitch and then a heavy zig zag to finish. Those sleeves are not going anywhere!

I wish the material was a bit heavier like the flight suit. The sleeves now feel strong, but the front and back of the shirt just feel light. The only concern is to not pull too hard when getting it on and off. Once it's on I have no worries of it ripping during a troop.

I wish the material was a bit heavier like the flight suit. The sleeves now feel strong, but the front and back of the shirt just feel light. The only concern is to not pull too hard when getting it on and off. Once it's on I have no worries of it ripping during a troop.

To be honest, I just slip it over my head like a t-shirt... I don't detatch the velcro at all (I too was worried about it ripping).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'll be using a similar method to your tutorial here and just make it out of duck cloth to save myself the worry of ripping a t-shirt. An added plus is I've been sewing for six years now and can probably have this done in a jiffy but I'll have to get my armor finished first... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that I've been through a few troops with the vest I want to update on my findings..

The sleeves ended up being too long and too wide for 501st approval. The shoulder bells caused them to flair out. To fix this I simply took in the sleeves making the holes smaller. It's a tight squeeze getting into it, but it looks much better.

If I had to do the entire vest over again I would buy a shirt that is 2 times larger than what I normally wear and buy black duck cloth. I would cut the shirt open to use as a guide and trace those shapes from the duck cloth. Sew the duck cloth together as a shirt and NOT use padding in the sleeves, maybe just double up on the duck cloth. The padding I currently have is too much and I think doubling the cloth would be just enough.

Sleeve flair before:

8B3ECC58-D805-468B-B5F9-A7E46C8352CE_zpsnyjtuikj.jpg

Sleeves after:

4539747D-9D00-41AC-B087-E6E9989B1F00_zpsrspmatmu.jpg

Too thick:

5C593419-367C-4D14-AFD4-5E9A3D99ED83_zpslysprf96.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update: I went ahead and tried the duck cloth method and it came out great! I don't have pics right now but I'll try to post them. I actually did use padding in the sleeves as not using it caused it to look flat. Overall it came out great and I highly recommend going this route rather than the shirt route.