Build Your Own Vest... w/Pictures!

I'm trying out a combination of both methods. I use a t-Shirt for the Basic west (not for the arms), cut off the arms and used them as a pattern for new arms ( made of heavy Black cloth). When the arms are padded, I'll sew them on the t- Shirt again.

If it works, I will post some photos :-)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

If the T-shirt material approvable? Do we know that stretch cotton was what they used? If it is approvable, I'm doing this. I've been messing around with standard cottons...the only fabric i've seen used on the flak vest.

I think, a Heavy t shirt material is approvable. But i figured out, that the t shirt cloth is hard to sew ( it stretches and rolls up). So I also used the t shirt (without arms) as a pattern for the heavier cotton cloth

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your updates. It's great to hear everyone's different methods! While I did use a heavyweight cotton shirt, I was a bit worried about possible ripping. I haven't tried the duck cloth method but I'm glad to hear it works!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My t-shirt vest has lasted almost 3 years now. I paid a friend to do my vest and she ended up using a t-shirt for the main vest and heavier black fabric with padding for the sleeves, which I had to move several times because my GML was a jerk about the length (so I pretty much rebuilt the vest myself a few times). I eventually sewed the velcro part closed (one less thing to worry about not lining up on the back) because as said above, the t-shirt stretches enough to put on without opening the velcro. It still has the 2 inch wide flap that looks like velcro to open for screen accuracy.

As a bonus, the t-shirt material isn't as hot as some of the other options out there. Coveralls are hot enough. There's not reason to add layers on top if you don't have to.

My t-shirt vest has lasted almost 3 years now. I paid a friend to do my vest and she ended up using a t-shirt for the main vest and heavier black fabric with padding for the sleeves, which I had to move several times because my GML was a jerk about the length (so I pretty much rebuilt the vest myself a few times). I eventually sewed the velcro part closed (one less thing to worry about not lining up on the back) because as said above, the t-shirt stretches enough to put on without opening the velcro. It still has the 2 inch wide flap that looks like velcro to open for screen accuracy.

As a bonus, the t-shirt material isn't as hot as some of the other options out there. Coveralls are hot enough. There's not reason to add layers on top if you don't have to.

I can vouch for the lighter fabric being a good thing. My Mandalorian costumes is a Dickies coverall in canvas that I wear a canvas plate vest over with a padded neck seal makes for a very warn Bowfanny.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the tutorial - I plan to follow it closely when i make my vest.

I notice that the CRL says the vest is made from "black matt finish heavy weight cotton fabric" but the sleeves in the photos seem to have a sheen to them - is this just an artefact of the way the light falls on the ribbing, or do some vests have a satin-type material as well?

• 1 month later...

I notice that the CRL says the vest is made from "black matt finish heavy weight cotton fabric" but the sleeves in the photos seem to have a sheen to them - is this just an artefact of the way the light falls on the ribbing, or do some vests have a satin-type material as well?

I think there were some vendors making versions like that where the sleeves were of a different material that gave it that "shine". I don't think you have to do it that way. The way I've done it and seen it on other scouts, it's always been one type of fabric.

• Like 1

I wondered that myself, but in following the tutorial I discovered that once you stitch in the ribbing lines, it tightens the material around the batting which seems to "show through" very faintly, which does give the appearance of two different materials for the sleeves and body.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am wondering if vest from this tutorial would not be too thin? Vests from movies seems like they were quilted. Would it be enough for the 501st approval?

Or should it be made with 2 t-shirt layers with batting material in-between.

I am wondering if vest from this tutorial would not be too thin? Vests from movies seems like they were quilted. Would it be enough for the 501st approval?

Or should it be made with 2 t-shirt layers with batting material in-between.

If you want it more thick, just use the shirts as model and use the fabric you want.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a great tutorial! but only 1 problem .....

i dont own a sewing machine & been a guy thats 1 area we never learnt how too use at school

will need some help on this one due to my disabitily ( as i'm in a manual wheelchair ) & only way i know how to use 1 of them is with your foot & my legs are a dead weight so ...... i'll need someone to make it for me please

James

P.S btw i'm in Australia