The great journey is nigh!

Are your pouches removable from the bund? If they are, set the bottom of the pouches even with the bottom of the bund and then readjust the Velcro at the top where the tabs attach. You’ll like have some of the tab sitting above the bund, but it’ll be covered by the chest armor and won’t be seen.

A slight overlap of the pouches over the belt shouldn’t be much of an issue. The top of the belt should rest just under your naval.

If your eventual goal is to shoot for Lancer, you may need to redo the pouches if they’re currently too wide, but I’d stuff them with foam first to get a more accurate measurement and then post up dimensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To second what Dennis said, I haven't seen anything you've posted in your thread that would make me believe the 6x5x2 wouldn't work for you.  At 5'7 you're about the height a lot of the stunt performers were in the film.

• Thanks 1

Looking over your earlier photo below. Your pouches should be set about 1” from the outer most rib on each side.

They can definitely move up. You have about 1.5” of tab exposed beneath your chest armor. Ideally, the tabs should only be minimally visible if at all. You can definitely move them up. As mention in my previous post, if you stuff them with foam, it’ll eliminate the sag which should save you another 1/2”. Combined with the adjustments you already made to your shoulder straps, I think you’ll be good. Give these adjustments a shot, post up some new pics and we can guide you from there.

fddd676d5c635e624ed00c7e65542dc7.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

To second what Dennis said, I haven't seen anything you've posted in your thread that would make me believe the 6x5x2 wouldn't work for you.  At 5'7 you're about the height a lot of the stunt performers were in the film.

4 minutes ago, Aradun said:

Looking over your earlier photo below. Your pouches should be set about 1” from the outer most rib on each side.

They can definitely move up. You have about 1.5” of tab exposed beneath your chest armor. Ideally, the tabs should only be minimally visible if at all. You can definitely move them up. As mention in my previous post, if you stuff them with foam, it’ll eliminate the sag which should save you another 1/2”. Combined with the adjustments you already made to your shoulder straps, I think you’ll be good. Give these adjustments a shot, post up some new pics and we can guide you from there.

fddd676d5c635e624ed00c7e65542dc7.jpg

Sounds like a plan! Thank you both for the information, when I get home I’ll hop right on this!

• Like 3

I apologize for the photo dump but I went ahead and took multiple photos to best show the new positioning. I had to fold my attachment flaps over the bund and still have to attach more Velcro to the back since only half the pouches are using it lol. The belt is currently sitting directly on top of my hip bones but the top of the belt is at the bottom of my navel like the aforementioned threads have suggested. My chest sits right below my pectorals but could use some more trimmed off by the looks of it since the shoulder areas do bunch up at the top (it is hard to tell from the pictures). I will trim about another half inch off the back and then use a heat gun to try and shape it better. For right now I just put a block of foam into the pouches to get them to have the right shape. I have a small Hershey cocoa container that I am going to put into the pouches and then use foam to give the pouches some more definition. I have also went ahead and attached the codpiece to the front of the vest! Let me know what y'all think and any other revisions!

tTTNFDD.jpeg
W6NR4w7.jpeg

2S4pgxh.jpeg
DrXpY6s.jpeg

GP14dyS.jpeg
04Ts2Hz.jpeg

VXO6kWI.jpeg
oob1rAw.jpeg

The cod is looking good. Your pouches are way too far "outboard" and need to be brought in closer to the edges of your bund ribs. Check the CRL model for positioning those at the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've found that the hard edges and stiff foam filling tends to make positioning the pouches harder for folks with a narrower build. Try using cotton batting instead. It'll make them a little more flexible and less prone to sticking out at odd angles. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Retrofire said:

The cod is looking good. Your pouches are way too far "outboard" and need to be brought in closer to the edges of your bund ribs. Check the CRL model for positioning those at the best.

15 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I've found that the hard edges and stiff foam filling tends to make positioning the pouches harder for folks with a narrower build. Try using cotton batting instead. It'll make them a little more flexible and less prone to sticking out at odd angles. 

I was thinking they were a bit too far out still, the vendor I purchased the bund and pouches from pre-stitched some Velcro and I’ve just been using what was already there. Definitely going to move them in when I have the time next!

You’re dialing everything in nicely. Personally, I think your issue with the pouches hanging too low is now resolved, although I’d still follow through on Chopper and Retrofire’s recommendations above.

Your chest armor sitting just under your pecs is where you want it. Looks good.

If you’ve never used a heat gun on ABS before, I’d recommend using a hot bath on your shoulder straps first before going the heat gun route. If not managed properly it can melt the ABS and completely ruin the armor piece.

• Like 2

So when trying to form the plastic using the hot bath method it seems that it has become slightly deformed from where it is bending, don’t really know how to fix this and now the other problem is I can barely move my head into the hole when putting on the armor. Should I just reorder a new chest and back plate?

cd3kOxD.jpeg
yWG9Z2f.jpeg

wmXfvhF.jpeg

I don't think you'll need new chest back armor. I just think it was in the heat a bit too long. Open the shoulder and side and you should fit into it. You can clean it up a bit using the heat gun but tread carefully with it only going a little at a time and reform the ABS. Use tape to connect your shoulder bridges to get an idea of where they should connect and then you can trim and fit from there. Again, go slowly and methodically till you achieve where the armor should sit.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Retrofire said:

I don't think you'll need new chest back armor. I just think it was in the heat a bit too long. Open the shoulder and side and you should fit into it. You can clean it up a bit using the heat gun but tread carefully with it only going a little at a time and reform the ABS. Use tape to connect your shoulder bridges to get an idea of where they should connect and then you can trim and fit from there. Again, go slowly and methodically till you achieve where the armor should sit.

So when using the heat gun, after the plastic has been heated up could I just use my fingers to mold the plastic back or should I use some tools like pliers?

Don't use pliers unless they are smooth jaw. If you do that you could impress the jaw marks into the plastic. Since you're heating the ABS you have to be careful not to burn yourself. Safety first so use something that won't give you a burn.

• Like 2

So after some more boiling water baths and some careful bending with the heat gun I can say that I have, for the most part, gotten the plastic back to a uniform shape!

wjQchWx.jpeg

Could still use some work, but I got most of the big imperfections out! Can’t show how it looks on myself unfortunately since my webbing around the bottom of the chest got damaged by some furry friends and I am waiting for new webbing lol. Also got my zipper for my flight suit snagged while walking around and three teeth are now missing so now I have to replace the zipper 🙃

On a brighter topic though my thermal detonator is now complete! The replacement tubing and clips from MonCals finally came in and the end caps are currently curing!

I went ahead and sanded the end caps before putting on some resin bottle caps with super glue and then I put E6000 around the tops of the bottle caps and placed them inside the tube!

ttNZaQR.jpeg
zUrHKO5.jpeg

VgXqKYj.jpeg
qEkLvdU.jpeg

• Like 2

While I wait for webbing I will be putting on my vest and flight suit and sewing on some Velcro so the bicep, forearm, and knee armor won’t slide around. That will be done this weekend!

Put the new side strapping on so I could test the new shoulder adjustments and they are still riding up a decent amount it looks like. I am skeptical on removing anymore from the back or front as I am running out of material and the gaps for the front and back are getting smaller and smaller and I fear if I remove anymore then I will not be able to fit my head into the hold. Even with loosening the side straps it is still a very tight fit but it is better than before.

xNMXuv0.jpeg
kZxm9Wk.jpeg

qSzXXQ3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, TheSenate501 said:

Put the new side strapping on so I could test the new shoulder adjustments and they are still riding up a decent amount it looks like. I am skeptical on removing anymore from the back or front as I am running out of material and the gaps for the front and back are getting smaller and smaller and I fear if I remove anymore then I will not be able to fit my head into the hold. Even with loosening the side straps it is still a very tight fit but it is better than before.

xNMXuv0.jpeg
kZxm9Wk.jpeg

qSzXXQ3.jpeg

This is also how it looks with the shoulder bell attached

sba2cSO.jpeg

I think you’re good. The gap between your shoulder and the bridge will likely be filled with material from your flight suit and vest and won’t be as noticeable if at all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aradun said:

I think you’re good. The gap between your shoulder and the bridge will likely be filled with material from your flight suit and vest and won’t be as noticeable if at all.

Thank you for the response as I was slowly going insane on how to possibly do this haha 😂

Alright hopefully one of the final updates to this WIP thread! After spending all day reading threads, asking my local garrison for tips, and watching videos I finally have everything dialed in I’d say! I still have some final touch ups that need to be done, like tea bathing the pouches and filling them with the cotton batting, but for the most part everything is done! Tomorrow or later this week I will post more in depth photos and measurements of things I have done to the armor and soft parts, but for now I decided to post a little test photo of most of the armor on! This is only the front view and only one arm is fully armored up, but consider this the beginning of the end! (Unless something major pops up haha)

Here is the semi-suited up photo! Thank you all so much for all the advice, this has truly been an amazing journey so far!

krhyRFl.jpeg

Sorry for the mess, but here is the full suit up! Went ahead and put the pouches in for a tea bath using 5 black tea bags in a plastic bucket at 180 degrees Fahrenheit (roughly 82 degrees Celsius) and left them in there for 4 minutes while stirring very often if not constantly. Thank you Strider and your wonderful thread! Still have some minor things to do and things aren’t sitting at where they should be since I suited up by myself (that was a workout in itself). When I have more help I will post pictures from the sides and back but what are the thoughts about the front view?

gUpzjTS.jpeg

Looks good for the most part. You might want to loosen your crotch strap slightly and bring your cod up about an inch. That'll keep it from pulling through your legs at the bottom. Also try and pull your knee armor up about an inch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Looks good for the most part. You might want to loosen your crotch strap slightly and bring your cod up about an inch. That'll keep it from pulling through your legs at the bottom. Also try and pull your knee armor up about an inch. 

When I took the photo I did notice it was a bit scrunched up so I will make the necessary adjustments next time! Thank you sir!

You should be proud of what you’ve accomplished and how you tackled some of the challenges in your build. Well done! My observations were the same as Chopper’s. You’re in good shape with the finish line in sight.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Aradun said:

You should be proud of what you’ve accomplished and how you tackled some of the challenges in your build. Well done! My observations were the same as Chopper’s. You’re in good shape with the finish line in sight.

I am very proud of everything! This is my first time making a kit and not buying one and it has been an awesome experience! Again, thank you for all the support and advice!

• Like 1