The great journey is nigh!

Hello everyone!

i am still in the process of gathering all materials needed for my complete set, but I figured I would start the WIP as the helmet I purchased has just arrived!

As of right now I am only looking for basic approval as I want to get trooping for next year at Megacon, maybe I’ll try for Lancer one day but we shall see with my schedule and money :)

This is my first ever time building armor as I have always bought armor off of unverified vendors from Etsy and well let’s just say some of the armor I have bought has been very subpar at best haha.

PLEASE provide any critique or criticism as I am very excited about this and really really want to join the 501st! Thank you all in advance and I will post updates regularly!

Parts and Vendors:

Helmet: New Image Prop Replicas

Armor Kit: MonCals Prop Shop

Jumpsuit and Neck Seal: KriptonTop

Vest and Cummerbund: KriptonTop

Boots: Keep Trooping 

Balaclava: I just have a black Nike one :)

Gloves: TBD but thinking about Wampa Wear

• Like 3

Here are some pictures of the helmet I purchased: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-EyvoS_WtZNDP3FaVGI5uLTYSalQ-svn

Also just two questions:

One, are the indents on the back right of the helmet in the correct position? I noticed on the CRL and in some pictures they are further to the left-center of the back of the helmet.

Two, I asked the vendor to not put the decals for the back left of the helmet on since they don’t look right on Etsy and they provided the decals for me to put on. Are there any measurements I need to follow, or should I line them up with the back left vent decal?

Those all look pretty solid choices.  I would just go ahead and get the Wampa Wear gloves, you are in safe hands there.  That was an unintentional pun lol

EDIT: We posted at the same time.  The indents look pretty good to me.   If I'd bring up anything it would the spacing of the traps.  Nothing that would hold up approval, but they seem a bit more far apart than on the screen used.  (Approx 3 inches)

Best of luck to you on your journey!  We have a great armor team here ready to assist you.  

• Thanks 1

I have gone ahead and posted a link to a google drive where I will be uploading my pictures for all my armor! So far there is a helmet folder that shows pictures of the helmet so far!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheSenate501 said:

I have gone ahead and posted a link to a google drive where I will be uploading my pictures for all my armor! So far there is a helmet folder that shows pictures of the helmet so far!

If you need screen and production references, please check out the Scoutopedia.  There are some great pics of the "barcode decals" that should give you an idea of placement:

https://www.501stpathfinders.com/scoutopedia.php

• Thanks 1

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

If you need screen and production references, please check out the Scoutopedia.  There are some great pics of the "barcode decals" that should give you an idea of placement:

https://www.501stpathfinders.com/scoutopedia.php

Awesome and thank you! I’ll go ahead and get started right away!

• Like 1

Our DL has already given you some great advice. If you are going to go with Wampa you typically want to order a size up from the sizing chart as they run a bit small. MonCal does good work and some of my armor is from him so that's a good choice. We maintain a vendor list here

We don't endorse any armor maker but please feel free to post up any questions you have in your WIP thread and we'll be happy to help! We're here to help you be successful!

• Like 1

We’re looking forward to seeing your build unfold, and you won’t find any criticism here, just plenty of helpful guidance and advice to get you across the finish line! So, be sure to ask any and all questions! We’re happy to help!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aradun said:

We’re looking forward to seeing your build unfold, and you won’t find any criticism here, just plenty of helpful guidance and advice to get you across the finish line! So, be sure to ask any and all questions! We’re happy to help!

No matter how long it takes eh brother 😉 😂😂😂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After waiting like a kid on Christmas (and one delivery hiccup) I have finally gotten the armor from MonCalsPropShop! The armor looks fantastic and I cannot wait to get working on it!

One question I do have is should I wait for my soft parts to come in before assembling the straps for the shoulder bells, knee pads, etc?

In the meantime I have included a link that has all the pictures of the armor and parts that were shipped! If I should include any other pictures please let me know!!!

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Mm5uVaYk9ujNZv_Xb8j2fDPGEoHxb2D

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheSenate501 said:

After waiting like a kid on Christmas (and one delivery hiccup) I have finally gotten the armor from MonCalsPropShop! The armor looks fantastic and I cannot wait to get working on it!

One question I do have is should I wait for my soft parts to come in before assembling the straps for the shoulder bells, knee pads, etc?

In the meantime I have included a link that has all the pictures of the armor and parts that were shipped! If I should include any other pictures please let me know!!!

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Mm5uVaYk9ujNZv_Xb8j2fDPGEoHxb2D

It's not necessary, but I would advise wearing clothes with a similar thickness to your soft goods when sizing.  With all the strapping being elastic, you don't want it to be too loose when determining the length of the straps.  

So a jersey sweater or a long-sleeve work shirt might help you better approximate how things are going to feel when you have your undersuit on.  

And of course, check out the armor party video:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BikerScout007 said:

It's not necessary, but I would advise wearing clothes with a similar thickness to your soft goods when sizing.  With all the strapping being elastic, you don't want it to be too loose when determining the length of the straps.  

So a jersey sweater or a long-sleeve work shirt might help you better approximate how things are going to feel when you have your undersuit on.  

And of course, check out the armor party video:

I will be sure to watch! I’ve watched the armor build tutorial probably 20 times now but didn’t even know this one existed!

So after assembling the backing for the belt I have a question. In order for my belt to sit at waist level I may need to make it tighter than it is otherwise it will fall to my hips, the one potential issue I see is the form of the belt itself.

I see no where in the CRL that states the belt has to form a certain way but when I look at the reference photos the belt seems to almost stop at a 90 degree angle on the back boxes. As of right now that is what I have, but if I want to make it tighter to my body since I am a slimmer build the boxes would need to come in a lot more. Would this pose an issue?

Here are some pictures of the belt while I am wearing it (I do not have the drop boxes on yet):

UOypIx1.jpeg

ccJAq6x.jpeg

Where you are wearing your belt seems fine, hard to answer the drop box question without seeing them on.  

The drop boxes should sit a bit forward, they aren't right at your sides.

Prepro%20Back%20and%20sides.jpg

5 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Where you are wearing your belt seems fine, hard to answer the drop box question without seeing them on.  

The drop boxes should sit a bit forward, they aren't right at your sides.

Prepro%20Back%20and%20sides.jpg

My bad I may have worded my question badly. I was wondering about the back two boxes of the front four that actually make up the belt, I used the photo you provided as well as the ones on the CRL as when I looked at them the seem to be squared off around the wearer. I went ahead and circled them to better show what I’m trying to say 😂

IMG_4932.jpeg

Sorry!  I hear "boxes" and my mind always goes to the dropboxes.  

I think you're doing fine.  Also, once you have the flight suit and other soft goods in, you might find it fits better.

It's okay if your belt sits between your waist and your hip bones.  What we're trying to avoid is the belt being worn on the hips, like the way modern jeans are worn.  

I have now strapped all the biceps, forearms, and knees, I have included pictures of all pieces of armor strapped with their appropriate measurements as well as a test fit of the armor! As of right now I can say it all fits decently, only thing that is loose are the forearms since I have chicken wings 😭.

Hopefully when the flight suit comes in it will be a tighter fit but if it isn’t could I potentially use some Velcro on the flight suit to help secure it?

NwUAdB3.jpeg

xFAATUO.jpeg

76Z6tML.jpeg

Arw1oC7.jpeg

Also, when doing my first knee I did mess up my riveting a little bit and the armor cracked at both rivet points. I have included pictures of that as well but as of right now the armor seems to be holding strong!💪 

GzJQIW7.jpeg

IG0wXI5.jpeg

S69pKvf.jpeg

ynndJqr.jpeg

TRYCA0h.jpeg

0TQPTzj.jpeg

enYnGfV.jpeg

Boots and holster are now done! Holster has been secured with four 3mm rivets and I put it a half inch below the top of the boot. Holster also has the five vents in the front of it.

Pictures: ia8nZrn.jpegdUt15UG.jpegCtBYrx0.jpegtyacWJh.jpegU7VXPv4.jpegvK9lF5j.jpeg

Speaking of photos lol, I am now patiently waiting for the greebling to now bind to my armor as well as having one last piece dry before I attach it to my tank!

For the paint I went ahead and used Rust-Oleum gray automotive primer and Rust-Oluem black flat protective enamel.

areJUa6.jpeg
cmvCjNj.png

I put two coats of each on all the greebling for the thermal detonator, bicep armor, and back tank parts! Only reason the back tank isn’t being bonded with E6000 like the other pieces is because when I was washing the plastic I accidentally broke one of the small tabs off, but that was easily solved with some loctite super glue!

tTpxj7a.jpeg

rsbK2EP.jpeg

lJB3bFG.jpeg

Looking good. Don't forget the red striping and the white circle for the tank topper. Check the CRL for more details. Good work!

TB_tank_greeblie.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Retrofire said:

Looking good. Don't forget the red striping and the white circle for the tank topper. Check the CRL for more details. Good work!

TB_tank_greeblie.jpg

Thank you for the kind words! MonsCal gave me two stickers that I will put on after I bind the top to the tank!

Seems I have run into a bit of a head turner for the thermal detonator, on the reference photos it shows the teeth of the zip tie facing outwards away from the detonator. But, when I try to affix my tubing to the detonator box I can’t get the zip tie to hold due to the orientation of how the teeth must enter the locking mechanism. Any suggestions or am I just missing something 😅

u3ZmBTa.jpeg

swOSkLo.jpeg

Hi Justin,

You don't have to have the teeth out. Just looked at a few Lancer approvals and none did. I know the CRL reference has it but I don't think we're being that picky.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dart said:

Hi Justin,

You don't have to have the teeth out. Just looked at a few Lancer approvals and none did. I know the CRL reference has it but I don't think we're being that picky.

Awesome, thank you for the fast reply!!!

• Like 1