Bill's ROTJ Biker Scout Build

Far too tired to work on anything tonight, without worrying about making mistakes. But at least I received a few packages in the mail today. My 1/2 inch and 1 inch black elastic came in (I already had the 2 inch), along with 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch white cotton webbing. My blaster kit arrived as well.

I put in the online order for the mercerized white sateen material and cotton batting. That should ship soon. And on Friday, I'm expecting my Crowprops boots to arrive, courtesy of our colleague, Major Props.20240124_211011.jpg20240124_211235.jpgtapatalk_-1062718898_443x443.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Lot's of new progress reports should be coming soon. I have many shipments arriving soon! In the meantime, my Crowprops boots were delivered today, courtesy of @Major Props. They are a bit snug, but I'll find a way to stretch them out.
20240126_173137.jpg20240126_173214.jpg20240126_180940.jpg

For the record, the riding patch is a royal pain in the you-know-what. Lots of trial and error. I THINK it's going to come together. My fear it that it HOLDS together once I'm trooping in it, lol!

For the record, the riding patch is a royal pain in the you-know-what. Lots of trial and error. I THINK it's going to come together. My fear it that it HOLDS together once I'm trooping in it, lol!

This is currently my biggest mental hurdle. The boots were the other one so I'm just about ready to take the plunge. I'm excited to see them once they are applied
  • Like 1

Well, the suede parts are sewn together which is a miracle all by itself, lol. Sewing this to the coveralls will be the next challenge. I may use steam a seam to fix all of the seam points. Then I'll sew along the edges as required. I know some people pull the seams on the coveralls and sew those too, but that's just too much material for me and my machine to handle.

Looks good Bill. Consider rounding the outer edge of the top front patches. Those right angles at the top may protrude out from the cod which may be an issue. The patches should slightly curve in behind the cod.

30185440bd3f9bf3d648a0cc0dc98009.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, I took the risk and opened the inside seam of the coveralls from ankle to ankle along the inseam. Then I pinned and sewed in the suede. So now I need to stitch the edges, which I'll probably do in the morning. 20240127_201738.jpg

• Like 1

Once this is done, I'll probably switch back to the armor. However, I have the pieces to start the vest also. I picked up heavy cotton material (more like sheets, not a t-shirt) and a Simplicity pattern for a raglan shirt. I'm going to try to use the pattern and the t-shirt instructions to make my vest. 20240127_160042.jpg20240127_160053.jpg

14 hours ago, mrbill8128 said:

Once this is done, I'll probably switch back to the armor. However, I have the pieces to start the vest also. I picked up heavy cotton material (more like sheets, not a t-shirt) and a Simplicity pattern for a raglan shirt. I'm going to try to use the pattern and the t-shirt instructions to make my vest.

This is an older post, but have you seen this yet?

• Like 1

Sewing is definitely not in my general skill set. This is the hardest cosplay task I've undertaken, and that includes building a full Batman Returns costume. The front is finally sewn down but not the back. I need to take a break as I'm feeling a bit defeated right now. Hopefully I can get this thing to pass muster. 20240128_130828.jpg20240128_125851.jpg

I think you're doing well, man!  Good on you for getting out of your comfort zone and trying something different.

And once you get the armor and other soft goods on, it will look great!

• Like 1

I think you're doing well, man!  Good on you for getting out of your comfort zone and trying something different.
And once you get the armor and other soft goods on, it will look great!
Thank you very much! I appreciate the encouragement.

• Like 1

I think I may have pulled it off, lol. Quite a few mistakes along the way, but I may have properly finished my flightsuit.20240128_153331.jpg20240128_153427.jpg

• Like 4

Trying on some parts. Should I trim the shoulders more so the chest or back sit higher?20240128_191228.jpg20240128_191254.jpg20240128_191246.jpg20240128_191304.jpg

Don't trim, at least not yet. I think the armor just needs to come forward a bit. When I did my flak vest I put some velcro on the front to keep my chest and back armor from shifting back and forth.

• Like 1

Dude, you did a great job on that under suit. Solid work brother!
Thank you my friend!

Shoulder bells trimmed and rounded. I've also attached the zip ties and mounts.

Question on the knees. The previous owner of the armor cut the strap slots to accommodate 1" elastic -- which is fine for basic approval. But will that be a problem is I use 1/2 inch elastic as per the level 2 guidelines?20240130_202657.jpg20240130_203308.jpg

I want to clarify what the CRL says, because it's not only 1/2" elastic that's allowed:

Knee armor strap may be 12mm (1/2 inch)

OR

20mm (3/4 inch) wide and passes through the side slots of the knee armor.

You can use either width.

Also, the slot is fine as is. Look at the screencap below -- plenty of space.

Knee%20and%203mm%20rivet.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1