Bill's ROTJ Biker Scout Build

Black pigskin suede from Tandy leather arrived today! Just in time to start the next stage of things. My old sewing machine died, so I used the opportunity to get a new heavy weight Singer machine, which arrives tomorrow. 20240120_114548.jpg20240120_114645.jpgScreenshot_20240120_115152_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240120_115211_Gallery.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Bill, I want to introduce you to Dennis M. @Aradun, a member of Carida who is also on staff on the Armoury Team at Pathfinders. Dennis earned Lancer status for his Scout. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bill, I want to introduce you to Dennis M. [mention=85551]Aradun[/mention], a member of Carida who is also on staff on the Armoury Team at Pathfinders. Dennis earned Lancer status for his Scout. 
We've had contact. He actually bought my TK kit when I sold it

• Like 2

I finally picked up the armor kit from my 501st brother. His fiancee was going to build it, and did some work, but then decided against it (she's going a guard instead). It's a Studio Creations kit. These aren't finished, but they do appear to satisfy the CRL. I'll post a bunch of pics so you guys can weigh in and let me know if this kit will work for approval, once I finish it.20240121_163339.jpg20240121_163356.jpg20240121_163306.jpg20240121_163322.jpg20240121_163426.jpg

That is the last gen Studio Creations kit, but it should still clear approval without issue.

The only issues I see are the old style 3 piece belt, the double rivets to attach the back belt webbing, and the large strapping holes in the drop boxes. You might want to pick up a new belt and boxes from Studio Creations, but otherwise, everything else should be ok.

• Like 1

That is the last gen Studio Creations kit, but it should still clear approval without issue.
The only issues I see are the old style 3 piece belt, the double rivets to attach the back belt webbing, and the large strapping holes in the drop boxes. You might want to pick up a new belt and boxes from Studio Creations, but otherwise, everything else should be ok.
I see what you're talking about after close inspection. If that's the only major problem, I would imagine that I could order just a new belt assembly. I just want to make sure that there isn't anything else. I'm happy to work with this kit if it's approvable. If not, I'll invest in a full V2 set.

A full V2 would probably be overkill, as he didn't overall all of the parts, The shoulder, bicep, forearm, det box, and knee parts are the same.

Are the detonator caps concave or flat?

The chest and back are different with the V2, but the V1 will still pass clearance.

The are just slightly concave, though it's hard to see. I'll post a picture. The other question is whether the somewhat 'sloppy' webbing cuts will be a problem. I can clean them up, but not make them thinner. 20240121_174026.jpg1705876733627.jpg

Those cuts should be fine, and mostly hidden by the strapping. I think hitting them with a nail file should clean 'em up easy enough.

• Like 1

@Chopper do the T-Bits need to be updated too? The ones shown are the mirrored version. The updated CRL now has them identical.

• Like 1

[mention=83045]Chopper[/mention] do the T-Bits need to be updated too? The ones shown are the mirrored version. The updated CRL now has them identical.
Looks like the V2 kit still uses mirrored T-bits:2018_kit_resin_greeblies.jpg

The requirement for single direction t-bits has not been added to the CRL yet, and even then it would be a L2 requirement. For basic, the exiting t-bits are fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as the sizing on the butt flat, which version is better as far as the width? I cut a piece at 13" by 14". Once I decide on width, I can cut the length. Let me know. 1705957911456.jpg1705957986571.jpg

The butt flap is an area where folks tend to over-estimate the size. That's not such as bad thing, as its easier to remove material vs put it back.

Look at the CRL photo -- the flap isn't that big. I did some eyeball approximate markups on the sizing for your build in green below. Try and get it in that general ballpark.

Flap2.JPG

Flap.JPG

• Like 1

Still needs to be shorter, but I like the width here. I'll get better pics tomorrow. 1705979874790.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Bill, Don mentioned your thread and I wanted to pop in to say keep up the good work! I'm a fellow Carida member, and a fellow Bill! I've been dragging on my build and this has been super inspiring. Looking forward to trooping with you in the future.

• Like 2

Hey Bill, Don mentioned your thread and I wanted to pop in to say keep up the good work! I'm a fellow Carida member, and a fellow Bill! I've been dragging on my build and this has been super inspiring. Looking forward to trooping with you in the future.
Believe me, I know how hard it can be to keep motivated with these builds as they can be very complex! I have the advantage of having done this before, lol. Let me know if I can help in any way as I work on this. Who is your advisor with Carida?

53 minutes ago, mrbill8128 said:

Who is your advisor with Carida?

Dave Kreyling was my advisor through academy for my TI reserve. @haringjr and @Aradun have been super helpful though as I've taken on the Scout. Don and I have put a lot of time in together on my helmet.

• Thanks 2

Dave Kreyling was my advisor through academy for my TI reserve. [mention=84387]haringjr[/mention] and [mention=85551]Aradun[/mention] have been super helpful though as I've taken on the Scout. Don and I have put a lot of time in together on my helmet.
I gotcha. So you're not a cadet now. My mistake my friend. Happy to help in any way! What kit do you have?

7 minutes ago, mrbill8128 said:

What kit do you have?

I have a 7 Cat Studios helmet and a CFO armor kit. The helmet should be ready for final paint and the armor needs work at this point. 

• Like 1

Since I'm on a DIY kick, I'm looking into materials for the cumber bund and codpiece. The suggestion seems to be mercerized sateen cotton with 1/4 inch batting. Would these suffice?

https://www.joann.com/sateen-solids/5970074.html

https://www.joann.com/4oz-x-48in-x-45-yd-poly-by-the-yard/9442971.html

24 minutes ago, mrbill8128 said:

Since I'm on a DIY kick, I'm looking into materials for the cumber bund and codpiece. The suggestion seems to be mercerized sateen cotton with 1/4 inch batting. Would these suffice?

https://www.joann.com/sateen-solids/5970074.html

https://www.joann.com/4oz-x-48in-x-45-yd-poly-by-the-yard/9442971.html

I used that top one for the bund tutorial:

• Like 2

For the life of me, sometimes I need hands on before I can fully visualize something. I studied the patterns and pictures for the riding patches, but I needed more. So I chalked it out on an old pair of Michael Myers coveralls and just cut it out. Now I get it! So I'll pull the stitching and transfer these cleanly into the suede.

And I plan to round off the top like in the CRL.tapatalk_1874784874_360x480.jpgtapatalk_441093152_512x384.jpg1706060994132.jpg

• Like 2