Kropserkel Helmet Build

2 hours ago, Utinni534 said:

I'm debating on buying a dremel and using that to smooth everything out, can't quite burn my hands on sand paper for the whole process lol

A Dremel is definitely worth having in this hobby, so I won't try to talk you out of it!

That said, Dremel is also really easy to too fast and remove too much material.  It requires very careful attention.  Hand sanding is definitely the safer choice... and frankly hand sanding is what you end up doing at the end, for the real smooth finish, anyway.  Dremel sanding is on the rougher side, generally.

The usual process for plastic armor is Dremel to get it close, and then sandpaper and hand sanding for the later stages.  Small files and emery boards are great, too, for detail.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:08 PM, Utinni534 said:

Alright, back to where I was before, holding as much as I can together with painters tape, I think it already looks better than it did before, but that will more or less be final positions for everything once I put everything together, is there anything else I need to change?20230619_170422.jpg?dl=020230619_170413.jpg?dl=0

Take that mesh out of the ears and throw it in the trash

You need to trim the visor more -- there's just a bit too much plastic on the return edge

Eye hole could be a bit bigger

@Chopper you see anything else?

• Like 1

Thanks Mickey. The biggest issue I see is where the side of the face plate meets the sides of the visor. IMO the face plate needs to come back near the bottom on both sides, where I've marked in green, so that it better aligns.

20230619_170417.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Thanks Mickey. The biggest issue I see is where the side of the face plate meets the sides of the visor. IMO the face plate needs to come back near the bottom on both sides, where I've marked in green, so that it better aligns.

20230619_170417.jpg

Yeah that's what I've been trying to play with, but it seems like the bottom part of the bucket where the ears are is uneven, that side seems to be deformed quite a bit

I've got an old KS bouncing around here and it's the second one I've had.  That part always seems warped for some reason, and I think they've gotten around it in the past by putting Velcro where the faceplate meets that edge so it will stay shut.  

16 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

I've got an old KS bouncing around here and it's the second one I've had.  That part always seems warped for some reason, and I think they've gotten around it in the past by putting Velcro where the faceplate meets that edge so it will stay shut.  

Yeah I've still gotta attach the velcro, that will probably be the lash thing I do, not sure how I can get much more out of the eye hole without removing the lens

1 hour ago, Utinni534 said:

Yeah that's what I've been trying to play with, but it seems like the bottom part of the bucket where the ears are is uneven, that side seems to be deformed quite a bit

To clarify, I was pointing out the alignment between the visor shroud and the face plate. If you remove the front portion of the helmet entirely, the face plate and the visor shroud should be relatively aligned around where I marked in green. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

To clarify, I was pointing out the alignment between the visor shroud and the face plate. If you remove the front portion of the helmet entirel the face plate and the visor shroud should be relatively aligned around where I marked in green. 

So basically where they green is just needs to be covered by the visor shroud? If im understanding that right

1 minute ago, Utinni534 said:

So basically where they green is just needs to be covered by the visor shroud? If im understanding that right

I'll play some more and see what I can line up, but is there a possibility of being able to add some ABS to that side to make it fit?

16 hours ago, Utinni534 said:

You are amazing, been trying to get it lined up and struggling even after watching the video, thank you so much

🙏🏼🙏🏼 we got many greeaat teacher and threads here in forum😁 🤘🏼🤘🏼

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Okay, another weird out there question, any fixes for when I accidentally make a hole too big, when I was drilling out the rivets to start the placement over I ended up making a hole the size of the rivet head

5 minutes ago, Utinni534 said:

Okay, another weird out there question, any fixes for when I accidentally make a hole too big, when I was drilling out the rivets to start the placement over I ended up making a hole the size of the rivet head

You could make some ABS slurry with some acetone and scrap ABS you've trimmed.  I've had success with that.

Also -- there's good ol' Bondo.  

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

Where is the oversized hole located?

It's where I punched out to attach the visor to the top and back section of the helmet, so it will be under those cover button things

Okay, so it's a spot that wouldn't be visible normally? Hard to evaluate without a visual, so I'm just providing some options. Is it possible to get a larger diameter rivet?

Otherwise, take some scrap ABS or use a piece of those plastic signs you can get at the hardware store and glue a plate behind the larger hole, then you can re-drill.

Or, you can get a set of the 3M bolts and rig them to fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BUMS8Y/?coliid=ILTCA2MHBZT97&colid=1FW2Z38AXTS5Q&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

If the holes are for the rivets to hold the visor to the main helmet, I would just rethink that whole part and do it properly with the 3M bolts.   I outline it here:

M’um m’aloo... that's Jawas saying Hello.😁

Here's example if you're using ABS paste

In-Shot-20230727-135820970.jpg

I'm using it for closed a hole on my back armor(Tank..bottom part), close the back side with masking tape.. .. .. i should apply the paste on the back side and masking tape on other side LOL..

waited about 2 day just to be sure the paste is harden for sanding.

Hope that Help, ubanya(good day)

Utini!

5 hours ago, kacrut said:

M’um m’aloo... that's Jawas saying Hello.😁

Here's example if you're using ABS paste

In-Shot-20230727-135820970.jpg

I'm using it for closed a hole on my back armor(Tank..bottom part), close the back side with masking tape.. .. .. i should apply the paste on the back side and masking tape on other side LOL..

waited about 2 day just to be sure the paste is harden for sanding.

Hope that Help, ubanya(good day)

Utini!

M'um m'aloo!!! Taa baa eyeta

Got some options now anyways to fix it, ive got a fair bit of spare ABS lying around here somewhere, just lost in all the dooka, I'll do some googling and see how difficult it is to make a paste as well, either way have some work ahead of me

On 7/25/2023 at 6:22 PM, Chopper said:

Okay, so it's a spot that wouldn't be visible normally? Hard to evaluate without a visual, so I'm just providing some options. Is it possible to get a larger diameter rivet?

Otherwise, take some scrap ABS or use a piece of those plastic signs you can get at the hardware store and glue a plate behind the larger hole, then you can re-drill.

Or, you can get a set of the 3M bolts and rig them to fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BUMS8Y/?coliid=ILTCA2MHBZT97&colid=1FW2Z38AXTS5Q&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Oh I actually bought those from imperial surplus, gotta find them again, but I have literally no clue how they go together 

3 hours ago, Utinni534 said:

M'um m'aloo!!! Taa baa eyeta

Got some options now anyways to fix it, ive got a fair bit of spare ABS lying around here somewhere, just lost in all the dooka, I'll do some googling and see how difficult it is to make a paste as well, either wme

For ABS paste.. you'll need:

- Glass Jar, baby food glass jar should do fine

- ABS Scrap.. cut to small pieces

-  I use Acetone.. be carefull the fume, its Nasty. Use Respirator and in a well ventilated area.

- a small wooden stick, i use ice cream wooden stick to mixed

cut the ABS scrap to small pieces put it in to a glass jar... be sure none of the dirt in the scrap.

i use acetone to melt the ABS... take one or two tea spoon acetone( i just eye balling it😅) close the jar.. wait 20 minute then mixed/stirring the ABS..

If you can see some ABS still not melt strirring it again.. put a bit Acetone if needed and if the mixed is too liquid, put some more ABS scrap and mixed it...and wait again.. need a consistency like a toothpaste and its done.

Store it when not in use... after a while ABS paste can be too thick.. just use a bit Acetone again..mixed it well.

Hope that help.

×sorry if my english is all over the place😁😁🙏🏼