Endor 40th Reunion - June 3, 2023 8AM (Cheatham Grove)

BikerScout007

IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING, PLEASE FILL OUT THE INTEREST FORM.  This is just to get a headcount and collect contact info.  If there ends up being a troop run by GGG, folks will need to sign up on their forum:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScpHweP-F_iePSCAeb0wo5Ht53SNs0geRYdRxdxFJ0oI7J7OA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Okay so here's a list of things I've thought of that we can work from:

1.  Date JUNE 3RD 8AM (EVEN NEWER TIME!)

2.  Logistics -- Driving or flying are the options.  The closest airport is Arcata/Eureka airport.  Flying into SFO is also a possibility but it's about a 5 hour drive from there.

3.  Accommodations -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/16fmFJeY6j8OIAYeKm50WhT8p5zduoRS0/view

4.  The meeting spot --Cheatham Grove is the choice.  It was used in the film.  From what we've been told, it's fairly isolated and has a tiny parking lot to service the campground.   We may have to carpool to get a large number of troopers there.

5.  Local organizations - We are working with the Humboldt-Del Norte Film Commission who are throwing a 40th Anniversary ROTJ event that weekend.  Golden Gate Garrison is in charge of the troop that is happening that evening.  You can sign up for that here:

https://www.501stggg.com/events/2023-06-03-forest-moon-festival-eureka-saturday-june-3-6pm-8pm/?fbclid=IwAR0KErp8qN7VF2gu2utAGXTWlx9srUinzpFHxMSXyfHl9xtUqYFHGKCbc2g

DO NOT SHOW UP TO THE TROOP IN COSTUME IF YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED UP. 

6.  Charity --Frankly us just being there and spending money is the best thing we can do for the community, according to the film commission.

7.  Merch --  Design made.  ANY MERCH WOULD BE NON-OFFICIAL AND NOT SOLD ON THIS FORUM.  

8.  Props -- Just you in your costume looking awesome!

9.  Other invitees -- Obviously we will do an all Scout Trooper pic, but I think invitations can go out to any Battle of Endor troopers -- so TKs, AT-ST drivers, etc.  

Research on this topic may be found here:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Whistler said:

I’ve got one of the campsites so I’ll be there.

I booked a room at this hotel:

https://www.scotia-lodge.com/

Seems to be pretty close to Cheatham!

4 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

I booked a room at this hotel:

https://www.scotia-lodge.com/

Seems to be pretty close to Cheatham!

It is.  I looked at that place initially but decided to rough it in the wilderness 😂.  Site can fit up to 15 so anyone can tag along if they’d like.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Whistler said:

It is.  I looked at that place initially but decided to rough it in the wilderness 😂.  Site can fit up to 15 so anyone can tag along if they’d like.

That's awesome!  Thanks for doing that.  

The Film Commission has come out with artwork for their festival

ForestMoonposter2023.jpeg?dl=0

I am having a meeting with them next week to get more specific details about their event (and info on hotel blocks).   

Right now, our photo meetup is scheduled for 10AM on June 3rd.  Depending on what they have planned, we may need to shift that.

• Like 3

• BikerScout007 changed the title to Endor 40th Reunion - June 3, 2023 (Cheatham Grove)

Question, boss…

I’m not quite to approval yet. I need my suit (and thus riding patches), boots, and cod/bund remade for weight loss. I’m gonna try to submit for basic before then, but Idk if I will have time.

Would it be okay if I sent you my pictures beforehand, if I can pull it off, and have like, a prelim go-ahead to participate?

7 minutes ago, SkyScout said:

Question, boss…

I’m not quite to approval yet. I need my suit (and thus riding patches), boots, and cod/bund remade for weight loss. I’m gonna try to submit for basic before then, but Idk if I will have time.

Would it be okay if I sent you my pictures beforehand, if I can pull it off, and have like, a prelim go-ahead to participate?

So just to be clear, this is a non-official event!  That's why it's here in the public forum.  If you aren't approved by then, but you look good enough, then you can join in.  If we have to strategically place you behind a prop to hide the incomplete bits, we can do that.  :D 

And because of issues with Lucasfilm and all that, it has to stay non-official.  Golden Gate Garrison will be handling all OFFICIAL appearances of approved 501st.  

THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE FUN!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My son and I are going to drive the 11 hours 😮

• Like 2

Just got off the Zoom call with the film commission and the other costuming groups --  should have more info about any official troops and hotel discounts soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It looks very entertaining, how nice it would be to be able to go. I wish much success in this activity to those who participate.
I see photos of that park and it's like "wow", beautiful, and I tell you that I live in Patagonia and we know about nature.
Much success to you and enjoy it a lot.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 1:28 PM, BikerScout007 said:

My son and I are going to drive the 11 hours 😮

My wife and I are driving 12 :D

MrPoopie and MrsPoopie will be there but sadly not for the actual photoshoot. We get there on the 1st and have to leave in the morning on the 3rd.

OKAY FOLKS BIG UPDATE!

Today I had my second Zoom call with the Film Commission -- this one SPECIFICALLY about the photo shoot.  Let me just say first that the organizers as well as the Park Rangers are VERY excited about us doing this and are going to do everything they can to make it as easy a process as possible.

Here is the biggest issue:  Cheatham Grove (where the speeder bike footage was filmed) has a TINY parking lot -- holds about 5 cars.  And there is no parking along Highway 36 at this point in the road.  The Park Ranger also explained to me that because there is a blind turn on one side and a straight away on the other, cars tend to come roaring down that stretch of road with little to no warning for pedestrians.  

The Park Ranger had a great suggestion for us -- which is to set up base camp at a nearby park that has a much bigger lot and then charter a local bus to drive us over to Cheatham.  The buses can hold 20 people.  She said that the buses cost about $70 an hour with a 2 hour minimum, which all in all sounds pretty good to me.  We can pass the hat around to cover it or fundraise in a... different way ;)

The Park Ranger also suggested that I move our start time from 10am to 9am.  She said there is a popular waterhole near Cheatham and we could lose any parking spots in the lot pretty quick if we wait too late in the day.  I was happy to comply with this (and honestly -- we could go earlier if that makes it easier on everyone).

Weapons -- park rangers and local law enforcement are being made aware that we are bringing fake plastic pew pews.  They will be fine for the photoshoot, but definitely stow them away when we are done.

Speeder Bike -- still working on this one.  To bring it up from L.A. is going to cost around $1000.  Which will also involve fundraising.  And Justin (to whom the bike belongs), won't be there for the shoot.  We are still trying to figure out if the juice is worth the squeeze on this one...

Troops -- There are events that weekend that the Film Commission has requested a troop presence.  The local area costume groups (GGG, RL, MM, etc) will be handling those!  NOT ME.  If you wish to troop, you will need to sign up with whichever one of those groups your costume goes with (for most of us, that will mean signing up on Golden Gate Garrison forum).  I have been instructed by the troop organizers to let you all know that if YOU DO NOT SIGN UP FOR A TROOP, DO NOT SHOW UP IN COSTUME TO ONE.  As far as I know, an official 501st troop has not been started yet, but when it is I will let you know.  

This photo is for FUN and is done on your own private time.  We are not representing the 501st at Cheatham Grove.  We are a bunch of costumers getting together to celebrate ROTJ!  Think of this like a convention you are going to on your own dime.  

Hotel discounts -- I have also received this information, which I have stored on my Google Drive.  The link is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16fmFJeY6j8OIAYeKm50WhT8p5zduoRS0/view?usp=sharing

Finally, if you haven't signed up on the interest sheet, please do!  This is just to get a headcount and to collect email addresses so I can message attendees with any last minute changes:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScpHweP-F_iePSCAeb0wo5Ht53SNs0geRYdRxdxFJ0oI7J7OA/viewform?usp=sf_link

• Like 4

@BikerScout007 Thanks for all the hard work that you're putting into this.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to research this. My wife and I definitely plan on attending. How do you sign up for a troop on another garrison's site? I've never had to do that before.

3 minutes ago, Dalas367 said:

Thanks for taking the time to research this. My wife and I definitely plan on attending. How do you sign up for a troop on another garrison's site? I've never had to do that before.

You would actually have to create an account on their forum and ask for access, just like you would any time you sign up on a new 501st forum.

https://www.501stggg.com/

Not a bad idea to get your account and access over there set up, but please be aware that, as far as I know, the troop hasn't been made official yet, so there may be nothing to sign up for right now.

• BikerScout007 changed the title to Endor 40th Reunion - June 3, 2023 9AM (Cheatham Grove)
  • BikerScout007 changed the title to Endor 40th Reunion - June 3, 2023 8AM (Cheatham Grove)
  • BikerScout007 unpinned this topic