First Time ROTJ Scout Trooper Build (3D Printed)

Cpt_Chops

This past weekend I reinforced the back/chest armor with some fiberglass and am now working on putting the chest/back armor together.

For the connection straps, the CRL lists them as 1.5 in. My printed armor has a slot that is ~1.25 in. To allow the strap to remain 1.5 in. and still slide in the slot, I trimmed the edges of the webbing strap a bit.

The final strap is 1.5 in. and then tapers off right at the slot to pass through. Any issues with this?

Here is a picture showing my proposed strap:

20220502_221000.jpg

For Level 1 they don't even need to be 1.5", the CRL just says "The sides of the chest armor attach to the back armor with white webbing." You could use 1.25" if you wanted.

For Level 2 Lancer, it would need to appear as straight 1.5" webbing. The trimmed areas would need to be positioned so that the tapered part does not show.

Belt%20rivet.jpg

Level 2 requires 1.5.   As long as you have 1.5, you are fine.   No issues with the taper.

Awesome - thanks @Chopper and @BikerScout007. I'll stick with the taper for now and make sure it is hidden completely.

Also, question on color strap color. I was intending to go with the white strap (vs the off-white strap + bags) and the webbing I originally got is kind of off white and does not match the armor well. I found some better white strap but it is made of polyester (although it has the texture/feel of cotton i.e. not glossy like a seat belt).

Here is a picture comparing the two:

20220504_191411.jpg

I was going to just go ahead and use the whiter webbing, but the CRL says it should be cotton webbing - so I wanted to check to see if this was ok.

Thanks!

For Level 1, polyester strapping is fine. 

For Level 2, the CRL says you have the option of:

1) 1.5" white cotton webbing

2) 1.5" white elastic

3) 1.5" off-white cotton webbing, if you also use off white webbing on the drop box straps and have off-white pouches

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1208398829/white-cotton-1-inch-25mm-or-15-inch-38mm

Thanks for the help @Chopper - the white elastic was a great choice for me!

I got the chest-back-shoulder assembly done thanks following the process outlined in this great tutorial:

1.5" white elastic:

20220508_205356.jpg

Assembly with 1" white elastic shoulder bridges (I started with .5, but it was too small)

20220508_205256.jpg

Tank with detail piece (an airbrush came in handy to do the red line and white circle)

20220508_205306.jpg

Bottom tank rivet and elastic:

20220508_205529.jpg

I still need to add the gray square on the chest plate (but waiting decals in order to match the gray color) and tank decals. However, I was excited and wanted to share progress.

I also got really excited and tried to suit-up with the current parts :):D

I was quite pleased with how everything seemed to fit for the first try!

20220508_204539.jpg

20220508_204553.jpg

20220508_204625.jpg

• Like 3

Dude, you’ve done excellent work on putting your kit together and the results show it. You look awesome! Nearing the finish line…

• 3 weeks later...

A couple material questions:

- Any recommendations on TD wire/wrapping material? I have the TD printed and painted, I just need to wrap it.

- Are there strict guidelines for the glove material? I am attempting to sew my own gloves (already made a few cotton practice gloves with some success) and I was wondering what the material guidelines were. The CRL just says "black leather", so I didn't know if black faux leather is ok or if only genuine leather is acceptable. If so, is there a particular type of genuine leather that should be used?

Thanks!

I would wager real suede for the gloves, like the riding patches, is your best bet.

As for wire - most of us who went that route used electrical wire, like you'd find on a cheap ungrounded extension cord, and rip it down the middle. If you check out Strider’s build thread more info (and recent discussion on how heavy they are) here:

• Thanks 2

For Level 1 on the gloves, the CRL is not very specific b/c it relies mostly on the photo:

"Black suede or faux suede patches on top of the middle finger, index finger and thumb."

Black suede or faux suede for the finger and thumb patches.

The rest of the glove can be real leather or faux leather, as long as the finish is smooth and is similar to the photo.

Now, for Level 2, any gloves you make will pretty much need to be near-identical in terms of dimensions, features, and finish to the esprit riding gloves depicted in the CRL photo. The current easy availability of near-identical esprit copies from WampaWear and Imperial Boots means that's where the bar sits.

Harbinger is correct on the tube wrapping wire. You're welcome to go for it, just know that many of us have built them, but quickly decide not to use them when trooping due to the weight.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pointers on the TD - I'll go for the vacuum hose style then to save some weight. I did not see any requirements for the tube size/shape/etc, so I checked my local stores for something that looked close.

I found some 1 1/2 OD vacuum hose (which seems to be the right diameter) at Lowes/Home Depot:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EZ-FLO-1-1-2-in-Inner-Diameter-x-1-ft-Polyethylene-Pool-and-Spa-Vacuum-Hose/1000180595

or

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-3-1-2-ft-Connector-Hose-for-Automatic-Swimming-Pool-Cleaners-69200/203796281

Would either of those work? I was looking to for local options, otherwise I can order some of the hose recommended on:

Thanks!

I ended up ordering that pool hose.  It's not the same size as the SC kit's hose.  I went ahead and purchased a replacement from SC.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:58 AM, kayelbe said:

I ended up ordering that pool hose.  It's not the same size as the SC kit's hose.  I went ahead and purchased a replacement from SC.

Thanks @kayelbe - great idea! I just ordered the det tube from SC. Looking forward to it coming in - should be one of the last pieces I need.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:05 AM, Chopper said:

Black suede or faux suede for the finger and thumb patches.

The rest of the glove can be real leather or faux leather, as long as the finish is smooth and is similar to the photo.

Sounds good - I ordered some Aniline leather that I am going to try to use and I have left-over suede from doing the riding patches.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:05 AM, Chopper said:

Now, for Level 2, any gloves you make will pretty much need to be near-identical in terms of dimensions, features, and finish to the esprit riding gloves depicted in the CRL photo. The current easy availability of near-identical esprit copies from WampaWear and Imperial Boots means that's where the bar sits.

I have been studying the photos and have a made a couple of templates and sewn a few "practice gloves". Sewing gloves has been fun/challenging/frustrating - everything you could hope for ;D Once the leather gets in and I try my hand at sewing the gloves I'll share some updates. If it doesn't work out, the pair from WampaWear looks great.

• Like 1

Alright, I am so excited to finally share the helmet results (sorry for such a long post)! It took a while (on and off while working on the armor), but I am stoked by the results.

I 3D printed it from PETG using the design from Jesus Salmeron.

Printing (which took ~220 hours for all of it)...

20211106_232353.jpg

Assembly - it was a tight squeeze to get all the parts together. My printer was just too small to do the whole thing at once, so I had to assemble it afterwards.

20211116_212738.jpg

Then a lot of sanding, wood filler, sanding, sandable primer, sanding, and then a bit more sanding...

20220423_180155.jpg

White paint time!

20220516_165510.jpg

Assembled! Visor is made from a covid-19 face shield (cut to shape) and covered in 2 layers of 35% car window tint (I may add another layer or swap to 5% later).

20220516_223621.jpg

Added a black fabric liner and foam pads. Also included the chin cup.

20220616_231817.jpg

For the finishing touches, the snout greblie (resin printed by a friend of mine), decals (printed on decal paper using the decal's from Jesus Salmeron), and 3M bolt replicas.

The 3M bolts included with the Jesus Salmeron helmet were flat, so I used the concave ones from Mr. Poopsie.

Finally, the helmet!

20220616_231644.jpg

20220616_231700.jpg

20220616_231729.jpg

20220616_231745.jpg

• Like 7

Thomas you did an amazing job on this 3D print!  I think you just raised the bar for how a 3D print is properly finished.  For sure you demonstrated that with time, effort, and good technique, you can get a 3D print to look as good as ABS.  Well done dude!

• Thanks 1

Alright - it's gloves time! After many pattern iterations, practice gloves, and patience, I was able to sew a pair of scout gloves!

20220621_235411.jpg

I used real Aniline leather and some suede left over from my riding patches.

20220621_235420.jpg

20220621_235435.jpg

20220621_235441.jpg

I tried to take pictures while I made them, so if anyone else wants to give it a whirl I would be happy to share some instructions and the pattern I made.

• Like 5

Thomas, my dude!  That is absolutely amazing work!  It no small feat to make gloves as it is, but when you factor in all of the little details and how scout gloves are constructed, you did a phenomenal job!  You've got mad skills brother! 

Thanks for offering to share the "ho-to's" with your fellow scout, too!  That's very generous of you.  If you're willing, and only when you have time, consider using the photos you took, and the instructions/patterns you created to create a tutorial for those wishing to try their hand at making their own gloves.  If you do, I would advise creating a separate thread under "Biker Scout Soft Parts" using the link below.  That way it will be easy to find and reference.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/forum/145-biker-scout-soft-parts/

Keep up the amazing work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite touch is that you made the zipper area real instead of fake like on the Wampa Wear gloves.  Very well done indeed!

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:04 AM, Cpt_Chops said:

Alright - it's gloves time! After many pattern iterations, practice gloves, and patience, I was able to sew a pair of scout gloves!

20220621_235411.jpg

I used real Aniline leather and some suede left over from my riding patches.

20220621_235420.jpg

20220621_235435.jpg

20220621_235441.jpg

I tried to take pictures while I made them, so if anyone else wants to give it a whirl I would be happy to share some instructions and the pattern I made.

Majorly impressed with those gloves. Incredible!

• Thanks 1