Mikerscout Scout(Mandalorian) Lancer approved

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Try bringing the back up another 3/4" to 1" and see how that looks.

I will.  I have been watching the first scene of S1:E8 and the scout with bag has his back armor really close to his bund.  The other has a much much larger "sag"  I have been basing my build off the "bag scout"...  do these guys have names?   Either way, I'll try to draw it up a little more and see how it looks.  Thanks for the feedback Corey, I don't mean to sound argumentative. 

Yeah, I mean that's the good thing about mocking it up before cutting...you can always move it back down a bit!

• Like 1

I wouldn't get too hung up on this, duder.  There isn't any sort of uniform distance between the bund and the armor on the show.  The fact that the WTF armor is so long in the back doesn't help either.

DRE1tg0.png

• Thanks 2

Not bad I think, you were right! I'm going to cut it where we had it then snug it up a little bit after that.  It's bunched up quite a bit right now on top of my shoulders. 

729af82d8e548ce78b263534ee7fbeae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok, update.

Armor is sized and straps attached to everything except for the waist strap on the chest/back and the cloth on the belt.  Cummerbund, pouches and cod are sewn!!  I think I have learned more about my sewing machine in the past week than I thought I would in a life time.  Everything is coming together nicely.  It's almost time to start the weathering!!

• Like 1

Weathering....  wow this is taking longer than I thought and I think I need more!  I'll post some pics over the weekend of where I am and possibly shoot for pathfinder.  I think there is still some work to do for lancer but it would be nice to get my foot in the door.  Also....  this neck seal blows.  I have very little room, maybe I have a short neck.  The seal sitting on top of my collar causes it to push up on my helmet.  Maybe Storm Troopers have this issue as well?

f0bf9351d23e5045a13b07cf17d4f329.jpg

On 8/6/2021 at 7:33 AM, Mikerscout said:

Weathering....  wow this is taking longer than I thought and I think I need more!  I'll post some pics over the weekend of where I am and possibly shoot for pathfinder.  I think there is still some work to do for lancer but it would be nice to get my foot in the door.  Also....  this neck seal blows.  I have very little room, maybe I have a short neck.  The seal sitting on top of my collar causes it to push up on my helmet.  Maybe Storm Troopers have this issue as well?

Maybe pop your collar up then wrap the neck seal? You might be getting too much extra height from it sitting on the collar. @Chopper is MEPD and wears one maybe he has some ideas.

• Like 1

Where'd you get the neck seal that you're using? Can we see a photo of you wearing it without your helmet on?

Where'd you get the neck seal that you're using? Can we see a photo of you wearing it without your helmet on?
Trooper bay, but his site seems to be down at the moment. It has a velcro closure which I think is adding to the problem. I'm going to order one from steph as soon as she gets back from vacation unless you can reccomend another source to look at.

For my sandtrooper I use a cloth neck seal from darnan props, which has a zipper in the back. It's far more comfortable and fits better, but one from Steph would be more accurate. 

• Like 1

I learned two things today taking the photos for my 501st application.
1. My armor needs velcro to help hold it to the flight suit, it moves around a lot.  
2. I need to get rid of this gut.  lol

48d16c1a94baa38d657d7534397dd5bb.jpg58b039dd0bc91922f5a7f2d17245bfe0.jpge99bcd20fbc5ca4e1bce1e431beab90a.jpg

Ok. Im awaiting for 501st approval and starting to put things together for Lancer. Are there any glaring issues you guys pick up on?  Oops, I should have uploaded these one at a time with full resolution 

f94ff45657698271028bea443c8bbceb.jpg

c6e37da36dd80cf692fdb11db759c548.jpg

1a1dcda6a8f8a9d099df57f3f5abf991.jpg

462d7009f8fafd56b1c532c38851911a.jpg

ecd790e29ee72a71b02452adb8b1a87b.jpg

8bae82ae407d3a4dedbc97bb4323cbc9.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats and well deserved! You put together an excellent build and I’ll be looking forward to seeing you among the first Mando scouts to earn Lancer now that level 2 cert has been squared away! Well done Trooper and welcome to the Legion!

• Like 1

congrats. Great job on the weathering. As mentioned above, the WTF is longer so it helps for the look you see in the show. Especially in the front. Oh and I can relate with the gut lol. When i first decided to make this armor i went on a strict diet/training diet to lose weight (40 lbs actually). It's obviously not a requirement and no on here would judge but star wars was enough motivation for me to get back in shape so i ran with it. I had to get my bund re-adjusted 2 times which was a pain because you can't just cut off one of the ends or it won't be centered. So keep that in mind if you go down that route. Personally i think you look awesome brother. Contrats again. 

• Like 2

• MikerScout changed the title to Mikerscout Scout(Mandalorian) WIP (approved), first build

I found an easy way to remove some of weathering if you use oil paints!!! Christina ( [mention=82250]TKZombie[/mention] ) warned me about painting and the risk of difficulty in removing it. As you may note both Christina and I used Windsor & Newton artists oil paints in our weathering (this was Christina's brain child).  The paint is awesome and very durable.  I'll be using it to weather again for sure.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. Some Meguiar's PlastX made short work of it. You can easily strip small sections or entire panels with ease. I have no doubt you could tape off areas to form hard edges too. This stuff can be found in the automotive cleaning isle at Walmart in with the wax and stuff, or any local auto parts store like NAPA or AutoZone.

To use, just dab some on and smear it around with your finger or a foam brush, the layer doesn't need to be thick at all. Let it sit for 20 or 30 seconds and wipe it off with a paper towel. Let it sit longer if the paint is thick.  Wipe the area with a wet paper towel to clean off any residue left behind. Boom! You're done, that easy.

Before
d3922066f72d43c2eec52e0d2d9f36fa.jpg

After
85c298355a0e7655d8b47878682d93a9.jpgde9bb2af9612036bcd864c8b3a62a7bf.jpg

Here is the part re-painted and blended
9d2c49edeb627605a6b0860d3a659dd3.jpg

Edited by MikerScout
Added more pictures
  • Like 2

Great solution, I use 99% isopropyl alcohol and it wipes it away clean no matter how long it’s been on. 
I can't thank you enough for the help you have given me on this build!! I would have been 10 times longer and way less accurate if it were not for you. Biggest kudos you my friend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• MikerScout changed the title to Mikerscout Scout(Mandalorian) Lancer approved