Scout Trooper: The Mandalorian - (Approved) Christina's Build

My Scout Trooper is finally underway to become a Remnant Scout Trooper.

etTgHEw.jpg 

Armour is RS Props. 

To begin I started weathering the armour. 

Forearm and Upper Arm Armout before and after:

2mnZZQp.jpg

Forearm detail 

bkUkEFl.jpg

• Like 4

Updated all the elastic strapping to match the type used on the Mandalorian.

MqucuPE.jpg

Black Tie Pilot Flight suit

0G0crik.jpg

With leg pocket with straight flaps

yshXKzN.jpg

Great weather job Christina and cool character trading card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Vmax1974 said:

What method have you used on the weathering?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’s oil paint weathering. It’s how I was taught how to weather by a friend who does costumes for feature film. 

I use Windsor & Newton oil paint, black, raw umber, burnt umber, burnt sienna, Indian red, and light red. 

Cover the entire piece with burnt sienna then wipe off leaving heavier spots in creases, then it’s applying layers of other colours, wiping, dry brushing and stippling to create the look. 

The great things is it takes days to dry (actually more like a couple weeks) so you can rework it. And if you don’t like it spray 99% isopropyl alcohol on it and it wipes clean. 

I’ll do some WIP on the next pieces. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Vmax1974 said:

Its non roll elastic I got a couple of Rolls off the Bay of thieves

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

awesome thanks. If i read correctly it's only 18mm and 25mm which was used in Mando correct?

On 6/16/2020 at 9:05 PM, Zeronin said:

awesome thanks. If i read correctly it's only 18mm and 25mm which was used in Mando correct?

I have only seen 25mm but could be wrong. where is the 18mm for do you know? 

I have only seen 25mm but could be wrong. where is the 18mm for do you know? 

I saw it posted as a reply on redit. But you’re saying 25mm was used for all black strapping? Biceps forearms and knees?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to make a time lapse video of the oil paint weathering process but it came out very fast. But this gives you and idea. Next piece I’ll do a regular speed video. 

If you go to settings you can slow the playback speed do 1/4 then you can actually see something...

• Thanks 4

Your stuff looks fantastic Christina. Great weathering. I’m looking forward to seeing your kit complete.

Belt is weathering is next, I wrapped the back belt portion and drop box straps and will weather those when its all back together and on a mannequin so the weathering is int he correct sport. 

dDw4cFX.jpg

Here's an simple overview of the weathering process. I start with LIGHT RED which gives the base colour to work from. I'm matching the weathering colour to the screen shots, not to the actual costume that was displayed at DC23 as on screen they colour graded everything and gives a different colour that what the actual suit was weather to. 

I cover the entire piece with oil paint using a cheap chip brush. 

QYELLs5.jpg

Then using paper towels I wipe most off it off, this gives an overall base colour to work from, I leave spots a little heavier where weathering will be more noticeable.

8DNqXTQ.jpg

Then I go in and stipple, and dry brush with BRUNT UMBER, RAW UMBER, IVORY BLACK, BURNT SIENNA and INDIAN RED. Then it's taking a clean chip brush and stippling in the colour smoothing it out and applying layers and layers of colour to get the depth of colour I desire. 

4Se8PdQ.jpg

And the finished belt. 

vExf5CB.jpg

The shoulders are next and these were tricky as they're a smooth surface so no creased or edges to work with. I'll do a more detailed overview of the 2nd shoulder as it was a learning experience to figure out that one. 

O4paocH.jpg

0sc8IXg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Zeronin said:

this is incredible work Christina. Thanks so much for sharing

Hear hear! Excellent work Christina! That weathering is screen worthy! Looking forward to seeing you complete this armor.

Great work! Bits like shoulders can be tricky, for the reasons you mentioned. It really forces you to think about how that part would actually weather in real-world conditions.

Here is an overview for the shoulder weathering. I wanted this shoulder more weather than the other so went heavier weathering on this one. 

Once the base colour of Light red was applied and wiped down I stipple brush on Burnt Umber where I want to have a dirt layer applied.

X7KahxZ.jpg

Then using a clean chip brush stipple and brush the colour in blending it down.

Mgb5gkK.jpg

There is usually 2-3 layers of this building heavier spots in some paces. I also add in some Raw Umber for darker areas.

4blFY3q.jpg

Then it's adding in Burnt Sienna to create more depth of colour.

lnZKyHb.jpg

0KK1bEU.jpg

Then it's a process of smudge/dapping with a scrunched up paper towel to take some colour away and leave lighter spots and buffing areas to have cleaner sections as well.

2UvWKdY.jpg

And here are the finished shoulders.

m8n200n.jpg

vSOxadu.jpg

PH1JE7A.jpg

• Like 1

Weathering continues...

Detonator

cSwYtod.jpg

IgJDIyb.jpg

onOfwxI.jpg

ZpjeuNw.jpg

Belt and Drop Boxes

2gsHuoY.jpg

Upper Arm Armour and Forearm Armour

mF1lhYC.jpg

8UT54Ew.jpg

x7dkqlF.jpg

Knee Armour

t3igSlD.jpg

Lriunxt.jpg

BmogIJp.jpg

7lCyTWI.jpg

Boots

sNqSo3s.jpg

7RVzQd4.jpg

Ak1GJb9.jpg

cyZblsE.jpg

gKy8VCq.jpg

• Like 2

Really nice work Christina! This is really coming along and your talent with weathering is formidable. 

Phenomenal Christina. Again, can’t wait to see this finished and you suited up.

• TKZombie changed the title to Scout Trooper: The Mandalorian - (Approved) Christina's Build