Officer build attempt

yoshix

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update,

helmet is still not not in. It has now been four weeks since it ship. I know shipping takes a little longer these days so I haven't given up hope. But I have decided I need a backup plan, so I ordered a new helmet from a different vendor. I figured if the original helmet comes I can cancel the new helmet or send it back. New helmet will most likely take another month or longer to get here. The waiting game is real.

In the meantime I found another small thing that I would like to change. Will show more progress soon.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, yoshix said:

A quick update,

helmet is still not not in. It has now been four weeks since it ship. I know shipping takes a little longer these days so I haven't given up hope. But I have decided I need a backup plan, so I ordered a new helmet from a different vendor. I figured if the original helmet comes I can cancel the new helmet or send it back. New helmet will most likely take another month or longer to get here. The waiting game is real.

In the meantime I found another small thing that I would like to change. Will show more progress soon.

Absolutely not a problem.  

• Like 1

One thing that started to bother me after obsessing over the reference photos, is that my upper arms appear to be too small. I didn't think I would have time to make new ones but because I still haven't gotten my helmet in I set out on this daunting task.20210320-130201.jpg

Started out with a pattern that I thought would be a good size. 

20210320-130216.jpg

Then transferred over to a 4" pvc pipe. 

20210320-131317.jpg

Cut out was easy enough with a jigsaw. 

20210322-164008.jpg

My 4" pipe didn't appear to be big enough for the higth I was going for so I cut a slit and added a piece to the inside. 

20210322-164047.jpg

I was going to use my original control box I it provided to be too short. Making a new one was easy enough, just took a little time.

20210323-111922.jpg

It's also more on the style of the game new.

20210323-163652.jpg

This was the part I was most afraid of. I used a lego piece to simulate the shape I wanted. 

20210324-101744.jpg

Then I covered it with bondo. 

20210324-115256.jpg

I did my best to shape it into two fairly even shapes.20210324-115303.jpg

Also bondoed the inside seam..

20210324-160411.jpg

And maked a little wooden block for the middle.

20210325-165422.jpg

From what I could tell the game ones are more 'low profile' than what I had previously. 

20210326-163828.jpg

I did a test fit with the rest of the armor was was very pleased with the results. 

• Like 1

20210325-150630.jpg

I also noticed the shoulders should slope down (left), and not come to a point (right). An easy change to make it more accurate. 

I can change a thousand things but until my helmet comes its useless. Waiting is so frustrating. 

• Like 1

Incredible work, man! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Helmet update - still no Helmet. 

However, with some free time I changed my neck seal to the 'ribbed' style. 

20210411-140210.jpg

I was really dreaded this as I'm no seamstress. To be honest my original plan was just to ignore it, but I knew somewhere along the line someone was going to say "shouldn't the neck seal be ribbed"

20210411-140215.jpg

I think it came out 'okay', could be much worse. 

• Like 2

It looks great man!  You are making great progress on this.  I am way behind on drafting this CRL!

• 2 weeks later...

Helmet update  - the second ordered Helmet came in but it's about the size of the Deathstar. Here are some comparison shots with my small Helmet. 

20210420-084627.jpg

Massive bobblehead. I feel like I put too much work into this costume just to have an oversized head.

I asked the maker for an exchange to see if he would print me up a smaller one. He agreed and after throwing around some numbers I came up with 12% smaller should suffice. However that means it's another month to print. Yeah.

20210420-170301.jpg

Even next to my original white kashyyyk Helmet it looks big. I am happy with the 3d model  and the print quality seems to good so I'm looking forward to seeing the smaller helmet when it comes in.

The first Helmet I ordered has not arrived yet. I'm pretty sure it's lost in the mail. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

20210506-172209.jpg

Helmet is in, it's go time! 

It shouldn't take more than two weeks to complete the Helmet.

Note as I'm comparing my old and the 3d printed one. I got pretty close to getting it looking decent. However it's the little details on the 3d model that really make it pop.

The size, as you can see is pretty much the same size as the old one with 12% smaller. I was sure at 12% smaller it would be larger than it is. It's just barley big enough to work so I'm glad I let him talk me out of 15% smaller. I almost insisted on 20% smaller, that would have been a disaster. Most likely 10% smaller would have been the way to go. So hard to believe how much 12% makes a difference. 

• Like 1

Awesome!  Hopefully by the time you are doing I'll be finished with the Mandalorian Shoretrooper Squad leader and I'll be ready to tackle this CRL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

20210515-095946-01.jpg

Helmet is done! I really like this picture. Unfortunately it's one of the only good ones. 

20210515-095410-01.jpg

I'm questioning my as to maybe I should have gone larger with the helmet. I'm many photos my head looks like it sticks up really high. It doesn't help the my neck seal is a little think. I'm also thinking about tightening the neck seal but I don't want it to be too uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

I think you've done a pretty bang up job there!  Is there anything else you need to fix up?  I'm still waiting on the Mandalorian Squad Leader CRL to clear but I can start work on this one if you think you're there.

20210519-084814.jpg

A few days ago my 'first ordered' helmet came in and similar to the other helmet it's a bit larger. I'm thinking my problem with the long neck may be solved by a larger helmet. So I decided to go ahead and do up the larger helmet to see if it helps. Maybe I was wrong to insist on a smaller helmet. 

@BikerScout007 we can certainly get the process going. I need a few weeks to finish up the second helmet so feel free to take your time on it.

• Thanks 1

Okay will do.  As with all these other variants, I'm going to start with the main CRL and make changes where needed.

• Like 1

20210519-084935.jpg

The new helmet has a few differences from the other. One thing I really don't like was how it slopes down and doesn't line up with the front. So I bondoed it to get the right shape. 

20210519-120239.jpg

It's a harder stronger material that the other one. I knew you could use different stuff to print with but this is my first experience with seeing the difference. 

• Like 1

Hard to believe it's been a year since I started this thread. Time flies!

20210523-162859.jpg

This was just a test I did with the incomplete helmet to see if I like the proportions. As you can see the larger helmet definitely helped with my tall head and think neck. However 

20210523-162812.jpg

It's giving me a super bobblehead which I was afraid of. Probably the solution would be the helmet size in-between the large and small but I can't keep buying helmets so I'm just going to have to work with what I have. 

20210523-162809.jpg

I'm leaning more towards using the smaller helmet and may tightening the neck seal or changing the neck seal somehow to not be as prominent. 

20210515-095247.jpg

Thoughts???

• Like 1

I think the larger helmet looks better. 

• Like 1

Sweet!

In the mean time, can you take CRL photos of all your gear?  It will help immensely with writing the bullet points.  You can save the front and back pics for when you finish your new helmet.  

You can use the ROTS-version CRL as a guide for how to arrange your gear when photographing it:

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:CB_Kashyyyk_trooper

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

20210710-134149.jpg

I've got the new helmet and hope to be done in the next two weeks. I'm a little burned out so it's taking me longer than usual but it's still in the works. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

20210725-091152-01-01.jpg

Helmet is pretty much done, just need to do some of the black decals. Third 'or I should say fourth times the charm.

20210726-115256.jpg

The new helmet is as wide as the small Helmet and as tall as the larger helmet. After seeing it for the first time I was worried it wouldn't be wide enough, but from the pictures you can't tell at all.

20210725-091243-01.jpg

20210725-091141-01.jpg

I'm hoping to start getting photos of the individual parts this weekend. 

• Thanks 1