The MANDALORIAN Biker Scouts

Here are shots I took at D23 this year of the Biker Scout they had on display.  Based on the pattern of the jumpsuit pockets, it looks as if they opted to use a Tie Pilot jumpsuit and no vest.

Since my image files are too large, here is a link to Imgur:

https://imgur.com/a/Pv02DBw

• Thanks 1

Are we really making a CRL of this garbage scout. It seems really ridiculous to have one.our detachment has come a long way since I joined 5 years ago.... the scout was considered the easy and throw together sloppy  costume back them. Now it has become a great detachment and the standards have been raised..... I think this so called new scout is a big step backwards. 😞

• Like 5

Appears to be an off the shelf (webbed strap already) unit locally here.. albeit possibly a little more military green/olive than khaki. I forsee their sales increasing

A shame a plush version of object to go in one isn't available here until at least July!

https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/products/british-canvas-shoulder-bag?_pos=9&_sid=1fedea0dc&_ss=r

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bikerscout73 said:

Are we really making a CRL of this garbage scout. It seems really ridiculous to have one.our detachment has come a long way since I joined 5 years ago.... the scout was considered the easy and throw together sloppy  costume back them. Now it has become a great detachment and the standards have been raised..... I think this so called new scout is a big step backwards. 😞

Then don't build one.  You may not like the costume,  others don't share your opinion. 

On 12/31/2019 at 1:05 AM, Dragon_a said:

Then don't build one.  You may not like the costume,  others don't share your opinion. 

But many do and he is entitled to his opinion

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bikerscout73 said:

Hey Aaron,

Glad you brought this up because it gives me a chance to address this issue.  Like you, I am really unhappy with the appearance of the Scouts in "The Mandalorian."  Though I've heard over and over that the reason is "it's 5 years after the Empire!  Standards have fallen!", that does not adequately explain the poor job of dressing these characters in the episodes.  They are all dressed incorrectly in the same way, which means there is some uniformity to what they are doing -- it's just wrong.  I think people need to keep in mind that although this is official LFL product, the costume department of this (relatively) small budget show is nowhere near the level of the costume department of the films.  So to treat the films and this show as equals is a bit of a shaky argument in my eyes.

However, the show IS canon and we have to deal with what we are given.  I've decided to go forward with a separate CRL for "The Mandalorian" Scout, because if the Detachment doesn't do this, Scouts on their own will start dressing like this and if we complain to local GMLs we'll just get pushback like "well on the show there's a gap between the bund and the chest armor, so it's canon."  The only way to protect the high standards of the ROTJ Scout is to separate "The Mandalorian" Scout from it.  

Honestly, I was hoping it would just go away and we could forget about it, but there's too much interest in it.  There are plenty of screenshots and it's a canon source.  So even though myself, you and many others are very unhappy with how this costume was portrayed on the show, I have to recognize that portions of our membership do have interest in it for whatever reason.  

Now for folks wanting to do "The Mandalorian" Scout, please understand that this is not going to be something that's just as easy as turning you knees over and pulling your bund down and then BOOM -- new costume.  There are some fairly significant differences in both the armor and soft goods.  The heavy sandtrooper-type weathering of the Mandalorian Scout is not something that would be admissible for an ROTJ Scout.  And the undersuit of the Mandalorian Scout differs from the ROTJ Scout, so again -- not just as simple as repurposing the suit you already have.  

The way I see it, there is a different TK for each film it appears in, all with their own requirements.  Same with Vader.  This will be no different.  This is a different costume with different requirements that will need to be carefully adhered to as any other 501st costume would be.  So anyone wanting to do this will need to take it as seriously as any other CRL.  It's not just turning your knees over.  

But rest assured, the standards of the ROTJ Scout are not being lowered at all.  We've come way too far in these last 5 years to let some poor costuming choices affect our Detachment's most popular costume.  

• Like 22

That’s sounds good , I’m just saying there are people out there that don’t know a lot about Star Wars and say for instance 2 scouts at a troop , one from the mandalorian and one from ROTJ . Some people might look at the two and be like does that trooper not know how to dress or wear the costume right. Why do they look different? But I guess it is what it is😞

• Like 3

Sounds like the best way forward!

I have always wanted to scout and I like the new dirty appearance!

On 12/31/2019 at 7:15 PM, bikerscout73 said:

That’s sounds good , I’m just saying there are people out there that don’t know a lot about Star Wars and say for instance 2 scouts at a troop , one from the mandalorian and one from ROTJ . Some people might look at the two and be like does that trooper not know how to dress or wear the costume right. Why do they look different? But I guess it is what it is😞

Ok, I completely agree with you there.  This isn’t like a sandie  standing in a group of TKs where one looks weathered, the Mando scout looks like the costumer has been sloppy.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:16 PM, Heavy said:

Awesome big thanks 😉 

Just got it in and Can confirm the Amazon belt has the correct number of double hole rows that are close together at the one end.

• Like 1

I'm keeping my eye out for The Mandalorian Scout CRL. 

I've mostly only done soft costumes so far (11), and the only enclosed helmet one I've done is the Gunner (12).  Now, I'm ready for my 13th costume and because of the laughter my wife, daughter, and I had from these 2 scouts in this show, I knew I just had to do this costume!  Can't wait :) 

2 hours ago, bobafett4ever said:

I'm keeping my eye out for The Mandalorian Scout CRL. 

I've mostly only done soft costumes so far (11), and the only enclosed helmet one I've done is the Gunner (12).  Now, I'm ready for my 13th costume and because of the laughter my wife, daughter, and I had from these 2 scouts in this show, I knew I just had to do this costume!  Can't wait :) 

Shhhh don't let this get around, but the Scout is mostly a soft costume ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 2:50 AM, Dragon_a said:

Ok, I completely agree with you there.  This isn’t like a sandie  standing in a group of TKs where one looks weathered, the Mando scout looks like the costumer has been sloppy.

I can’t see how people would be confused seeing 3 Biker Scouts together and 1 of them being a Mandalorian version. Like a Sandtrooper they are heavily weathered so they will clearly stand out as being a different version. 

I can’t see how people would be confused seeing 3 Biker Scouts together and 1 of them being a Mandalorian version. Like a Sandtrooper they are heavily weathered so they will clearly stand out as being a different version. 

If you’ve never seen the Mandalorian you’d never know any of this. Not everyone has Disney+, heck I know people within the 501st who don’t have it and haven’t seen an episode, personally I’ve been watching but I’m not 100% sold on the show.

On the other hand a lot of people know the ROTJ scout, especially the not so hard core older fans who saw the movies as kids. Those would be the same people who have also seen sandtroopers, they might not fully understand the differences but can probably remember parts of the movie with them. When you put the Mandalorian scout next to a ROTJ scout, not knowing anything about the Mandalorian it just looks like that person is lacking in dressing skills, it’s basically a messy scout who doesn’t care anymore.

I’m in no way choosing a side, I’m just saying this is not a clear difference. I can show pictures to people I know who aren’t into Star Wars and have never seen the movie, pics of a sandtrooper and stormtrooper and they can deduct that they are two different branches of the “Imperial military”. I don’t think it would be the same with the two scouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

On the other hand a lot of people know the ROTJ scout, especially the not so hard core older fans who saw the movies as kids. Those would be the same people who have also seen sandtroopers, they might not fully understand the differences but can probably remember parts of the movie with them. When you put the Mandalorian scout next to a ROTJ scout, not knowing anything about the Mandalorian it just looks like that person is lacking in dressing skills, it’s basically a messy scout who doesn’t care anymore.

SW Fans will know the difference between the two types of Biker Scouts. For the general public they’ll see a clean scout and a dirty weathered scout. They have no clue what’s supposed to be there and what isn’t. If a part is on upside down or backwards or even missing. Look at the Snow Scout they aren’t in my movie no one knows where they are from and beside a Biker Scout all people saw is that ones all white.

The small costume details that are different the inverted knees, no vest, no fabric cover on the chest to back armour, Tie Pilot flight suit with leg pockets instead of the black suit with  riding patches, and the cucumbebun worn lower under the belt people really won’t see a difference other one is clean and one is dirty. 

99% of the General public pays no attention to Star Wars to that degree. You could have a SW, ESB and ROTK TK all together and people will say look 3 Stormtroopers. Very few people see the small differences. 

The dressing details are not noticed. I have a Snowspeeder Pilot costume, heavily weathered. I can stand with 4 Xwing Pilots all perfectly clean and all people say is that ones seen a lot of action look how dirty they are. Very few people even see the difference between Xwing and Snowspeeder Pilots. 

Anyway everyone has their own opinion, like it or not these are Canon characters now and making a CRL is required. They have more screen time then a lot of other characters in the SW universe. I’m sure the White Armour and the MEPD have to decide who’s doing the Mandalorian CRL for that TK. The Mandalorian TK doesn’t fit either the current TK or TD CRL’s. 

• Like 1

I know it’s coming, it should, but we should get a head of it and think about what’s going to happen next season. What if they change appearance. Are we going to do multiple versions of the same costume? I honestly ask cause I have no clue. And I believe MEPD is taking it cause it’s dirty.

19 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

Shhhh don't let this get around, but the Scout is mostly a soft costume ;)

hahaha... that's awesome ;)

I really hope that when making the CRL, maybe someone could make supplemental list, or comments, on what the actual difference between the Biker Scout CRL and this new Mandalorian Scout would be.

This would be a great benefit of anyone who knows nothing about these costumes yet however may have an idea or two where to buy some of the soft/hard parts. 

It'd be easier to just see that X, Y, and Z are different.  That way, us noobs would have an easy idea of what exactly we need to get that is already established, and not reinvent the wheel.  In other words... we'd know what previous stuff is acceptable and what "new" parts we'd have to find for this CRL.

The easy example looks to be the under suit.  It appears they re-used the TIE Flight suits (which for me is great as I already have that for my Gunner).  But, it appears maybe the boots are different due to the tread?  Or, maybe the old boots will be acceptable?  

Anyhow, just thought I'd through this out there.

And, for what it's worth, I do agree with the sediments in previous comments.  Over the past few years, most folks... like 95%, that come out to hockey and baseball games, conventions, or parades couldn't tell the difference between X and Y stormtrooper.  Heck, they don't know the difference between a TIE Pilot, Gunner, and Darth Vader!  So, to the average person, a biker scout and a Madalorian scout are just stormtroopers.

32 minutes ago, Frank75139 said:

I know it’s coming, it should, but we should get a head of it and think about what’s going to happen next season. What if they change appearance. Are we going to do multiple versions of the same costume? I honestly ask cause I have no clue. And I believe MEPD is taking it cause it’s dirty.

Do like we do in the IOC... one CRL can have multiple version.  So V1 may be R1, V2 may be ANH, V3 may be ROTJ... and the IGC does it to with the Gunner... V5 and V6 were based off toys.

So much easier, IMHO, to do version of very close costumes.  If it's radically different, like different body armor or different helmet, then make a new CRL.  But if it's just different way something is worn, or different cosmetic look, or a new accessory, then just add a Version to an existing CRL.

Thinking about this, it could go both ways.

Biker Scout CRL

V1 - RotJ

V2 - The Mandalorian Season 1

V3 - Fallen Order

That way, it's all a "Biker Scout" per se, just different Version depending on the example you're basing your "version" off of, TV, movie, game, etc.

Or, you could have a Biker Scout CRL, then a Mandalorian Scout CRL with potential multiple versions for each season if needed, etc.  

If I was doing it, I'd go for the most simple, which would be to say they're all Biker Scouts, just different version as in the first example.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TKZombie said:

Anyway everyone has their own opinion, like it or not these are Canon characters now and making a CRL is required. They have more screen time then a lot of other characters in the SW universe. 

Heck, they probably have more screen time between the 2 episodes this season then the actual ROTJ ones did onscreen. LOL

1 hour ago, Frank75139 said:

A CRL draft is underway, its already posted. As for season 2 it will likely be treated as the movies, A Stormtrooper has a different CRL for SW, ESB and ROTJ. If they make significant changes in season 2 then a new version would likely be required. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TKZombie said:

A CRL draft is underway, its already posted. As for season 2 it will likely be treated as the movies, A Stormtrooper has a different CRL for SW, ESB and ROTJ. If they make significant changes in season 2 then a new version would likely be required. 

That is correct, commander.  

Quick question about weathering

I have a TD (waiting to be approved) and I weathered it using the acrylic method (dab with paint, wait a bit then rub off with damp cloth). I was looking at the type of weathering on those scouts and it looks more like either sand of dirt, well looks like a "dry" dirty.

I was wondering, would the acrylic method be accepted, even though it looks more like "mud/wet" weathering?

If it's not acceptable, what method should be used to mimic the dust look?

Thanjs

If you want to match the weathering the closest is way is using oil paints that you use for painting on canvas. You cover the piece in paint and then wipe off leaving as little or as much behind. The great thing is it’s workable for a few days, it’s a long drying process of approximately 2-3 weeks. Clean up is with 99% isopropyl alcohol and the great thing is you can wipe it all off if you want to change it. 

I was taught this method from a film costume/makeup artist and have used it on my Sandtrooper and Snowtrooper. 

2691A659-FBC7-4776-AD4E-3D857FAF505D.jpeg

FEB72B2A-EB2B-452B-8A80-8E6CD58ABEC3.jpeg

AEEF067B-803F-46AA-A9F1-D647D8265E53.jpeg

C77D579F-2281-45E8-A06D-56ADFF3F934B.jpeg

063C03A6-31BC-4557-84E8-75FD588C8A5A.jpeg

8E4F4241-241B-4298-B580-4B10B672EA75.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2