Pouch Dimensions and Patterns

In order to stamp out the glut of oversized pouches I see out there in the wild, I have created this guide based off of every reference we've been able to measure. Anyone interested in pursuing Lancer, I would definitely advise using these dimensions. Forward them onto your pouch maker or make your own pattern from them.

And make sure your pouch maker makes the attachment tab run the width of the pouch. At least if you are gunning for Lancer where pouches must have the appearance of being attached to the bund.

There is a little leeway for the bottom of the pouch flap because we haven't been able to nail down an exact size for it at this point.

pouch%20template.png

Check out this awesome updated patch pattern by @woobiee!

00%20Diagram.jpgDiagram.jpg?raw=1

Back.jpg?raw=1

Front.jpg?raw=1

Flaps.jpg?raw=1

Flap1.jpg?raw=1

Flap2.jpg?raw=1

And here's a handy PDF for printing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bgo83jk0a6zwsd/PouchDimensions.pdf?dl=0

Now I can already hear people saying "But I'm very [tall/short/skinny/wide]! Can't I adjust them to my size?"

To that I say we've allowed people that leeway for years and the results have been.... unsatisfying to say the least. We have pouches that are too big, too square, too short, or too long. So why not try a more uniform size and see how that works out instead? I've seen pouches with these dimensions used on costumers with a variety of body types and this size works the best. Even the Scouts in the film were not a uniform size (look closely at the Death Star parade) and yet all their pouches are the same size.

As an example, here is a Scout (retired), who changed his pouches to 6x5x2. And he is 6'5!

IMG_20180611_184101_zps3uwdugjm.jpg

Now can you adjust this pattern if you still don't believe me? Of course! We are not adding this to the CRL.... yet.

But will i silently be judging you in my head if you have pouches that look like pizza boxes? Absolutely.

Hope this helps!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

This is pretty much exactly what the sizes on my pouches for cummerbunds are; I’m happy to see this post. The pouches are a key element to this costume, and if they are either too large or too small, it can really kill the overall look.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Any recommandation to who does the best pouches in Europe (or in the US otherwise)?
Please check out our vendor list here:

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=19003

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the new dimensions update. I just finished a pair built off your new specs and a modified 2001 template from Matthew Clayson that's on the forum. I used natural finish/color cotton duck.

IMG_6857-L.jpg

Here's a shot of the optional interior side flaps. Got the idea from Pandatrooper's thread.

IMG_6859-L.jpg

My template based on the revised 5 x 6 x 2 dimensions:

5X6X2%20POUCH%20TEMPLATE%20-X2.jpg

• Like 4

Beautiful work!

• Like 1

Thanks, and thanks again for the revised specs!

I added your awesome pattern to the main post so people don't have to fish around for it. It's great!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used Boba Fett Pouche template I found in TDH. they came out great.

That's cool.... but they are the wrong size. 6.5x5.5 is too big

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Question:
When you build the pouch box as in the DK5IDE pattern, it says (at the top seam)  "Fold twice and sew after building the box";  After doing this, there is one visible sewing line at the outside, correct?

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 9:24 AM, Digger said:

Question:
When you build the pouch box as in the DK5IDE pattern, it says (at the top seam)  "Fold twice and sew after building the box";  After doing this, there is one visible sewing line at the outside, correct?

Hi, Digger. Sorry for late reply.  That is correct - there will be one sewing line visible at the front of the box. You can just make it out in the pic here:

1830185413_FrontFlap.jpg.f3ec3f1b275caa68f76672a0364bbc52.jpg 

The flap will fold over this area, however - so you won't see it. Here's a shot of how I've attached the flap to the back of the box. Hope this helps and happy building!

670966409_sideview.thumb.jpg.b5a4dcb524c33b253f48f9dfde389187.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

great! thanks!
those 2 pictures are very helpful, (really new to sewing every bit of info helps). I'm working on my 4th set of pouches now haha, the others weren't good enough...
Anyway this is great training.. Wax on, wax off!

anyone need some spare "almost good" pouches? 😛

That looks like very nice cotton by the way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Digger said:

great! thanks!
those 2 pictures are very helpful, (really new to sewing every bit of info helps). I'm working on my 4th set of pouches now haha, the others weren't good enough...
Anyway this is great training.. Wax on, wax off!

anyone need some spare "almost good" pouches? 😛

That looks like very nice cotton by the way.

Glad to help, Digger. I went through 3 test boxes fiddling with dimension til I got it where I wanted. Good luck!

19 minutes ago, Firejedi said:

Can somebody explain the how to print this pattern so it is the correct size.  When I try, it fits it all on a single page which is way too small.  Thanks.

not sure how to go about printing it ...

i dont even use that pattern or make them the same way the pattern shows.  there are several ways to build them and this is just 1 of those ways.

anyways, you just need the dimensions -- 6x5x2 

you can layout(draw) what is shown in the diagram on your fabric, cut and sew the pouch together.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I transferred DK5IDE's template into CAD and cut out plastic stencils on a CNC table.  Makes for an easy way to mark up fabric for cutting and sewing.  I'm hoping this gives a better cut and sew guide than I'm able to perform  by pinning paper or using a ruler and a fabric pencil.

If my sewing skills would catch up to my cad-cam skills I'd be good at this costume building thing.

pouchTemplate.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Firejedi said:

How much for one of your templates?  I'm moving to eastern PA soon and hope to get my act together and finish this once I'm settled.

Hmmm.  I Had not planned on making them to sell.  Prob have to charge $40 to make it worth my time.  Could be much cheaper, but I don't buy plastic in large quantities at bulk prices....and I don't see a big demand for something like this to justify a bulk order of ABS sheets.  (my supplier kills you with freight charges on 4x8 sheets unless you have a large $$$ order)

Personally...if I were in your shoes I'd just grab a ruler and carefully mark out the fabric using the dimensions at the top of this thread.  My plastic templates would probably only be worthwhile to someone like a vendor who plans to make and sell a lot of pouches and wants a quick way to mark up fabric.

• BikerScout007 changed the title to Pouch Dimensions and Patterns