Pouch Dimensions and Patterns

I followed the template at the top of the topic doing what he said measuring carefully and it was fairly easy and they turned out pretty well. 

• Like 1

Yes...And seeing how most of the seams are hidden inside the pouch (sew it together and then turn it inside out) your guidance marks will be on the inside of the pouch where they will never be seen.  So don't fret about using something that won't wipe or wash off easily.  I started with a mechanical pencil filled with a product for fabric marking...but could barely see the lines.  I guess that product just does not transfer well.  I ended up just putting regular pencil lead in the same .9mm mechanical drafting pencil.  Worked great.  Nice sharp crisp lines to ease in the sewing and crease ironing process.

IMG_20190514_210710669.jpg

pouches_complete.jpginside_pouch.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI for you DIY pouch makers.  You can get a duck cloth drop cloth at Harbor Freight for about $17 that is probably enough material to make dozens of pouches.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-x-12-ft-canvas-dropcloth-38109.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:34 PM, greenyone said:

Just an FYI for you DIY pouch makers.  You can get a duck cloth drop cloth at Harbor Freight for about $17 that is probably enough material to make dozens of pouches.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-x-12-ft-canvas-dropcloth-38109.html

Thanks for this info. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, kacrut said:

I have a question... Can i use a small magnet put(glued) inside the fabric to close the pouch flap? for Lancer approval?

Thank you

As long as we can't see it when viewing your costume (or any evidence of it) then that should be fine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

As long as we can't see it when viewing your costume (or any evidence of it) then that should be fine.

roger roger..

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Thanks for the new dimensions update. I just finished a pair built off your new specs and a modified 2001 template from Matthew Clayson that's on the forum. I used natural finish/color cotton duck.

IMG_6857-L.jpg

Here's a shot of the optional interior side flaps. Got the idea from Pandatrooper's thread.

IMG_6859-L.jpg

My template based on the revised 5 x 6 x 2 dimensions:

5X6X2%20POUCH%20TEMPLATE%20-X2.jpg

I have a question based on the pattern above. I didn’t notice it until I had my boxes pretty much assembled. In the pattern drawing for the outer flap (at right) it has the width at 5 1/2”, unlike the other corresponding dimension of the box width at 5”. I understand that there may be some width “fudge factor” built in so that construction takes in to account to cover the entire soft box top, but I have a 1/2” left over! So what do we do with the excess??

b09c3319cad393c4a8b6b2a4f6ff2a74.jpg
71b82e19ac61a0eb311bb7cb913c6127.jpg
78dceb7766ce1efb27df762357fec7c3.jpg
e76ced844e6a5af92a9228c1edd64fa1.jpg
61eee4ac81e150277bd9dbd3a33b5bf5.jpg
87353561baf81647d7d23edadcd295f8.jpg
a1b9ea419db0cfa9c5c16326b5e1bda0.jpg
b6017ea1f69f0d59628fdb4cec7d8616.jpg
6c32149ef42b4ca5dee468f9330768e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Bryan, sorry for the late reply. I measured the finished size of the flap and they are 5.25" wide, not 5.5". 

Cleary, I fudged something on the dimensions. The extra quarter inch allows the flap to fold/hang over the box so that you can't see inside it when closed. 

I split the overhang distance on both sides so each side overlaps the main box by .125" or 1/8th. Of course, if you don't want any overlap, finish to 5" size. 

You may be able to take you flap apart and re-sew to smaller size. 

Here's a shot of the top of the flap coming in at 5.25". Hope that helps. 

Flap Measurement.jpg

• BikerScout007 changed the title to Pouch Dimensions and Patterns

Main post edited with the great new patterns by @woobiee

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The link for the template i not coming up. 

Can someone please post the template again?

58 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

The link for the template i not coming up. 

Can someone please post the template again?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bgo83jk0a6zwsd/PouchDimensions.pdf?dl=0

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

3/8" or 1/4" seam allowance.  I thought it was 3/8 but now I'm thinking it might be 1/4.  A seamstress I am not, this is trial and error for me.  

never mind...  it's 1/2.  

• 1 month later...

Are the flaps inside the pouch in anyway relevant? In the CRL they are not mensioned or my english is simply not good enough to understand it. My mother finished the prototypes today and she made the pouches with two flaps inside. Just asking... 😄

foto11.09.211811237qkho.jpg foto12.09.21133911ywkz7.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. When I get the pouches from my mother, I'll make some detailed pics in my WIP.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, President Amidala said:

Hello, I just finished the cummerbund (minus the codpiece and pouches) using that absolutely wonderful step by step! Is there a step by step for the pouches as well? 

Not to the same extent but the pattern in the first post contains some great instructions 

Using the pattern linked above, it’s all in how you fold the material as you sew it together. Once you cut the pattern out you be able to more easily see how it all comes together. It’s tough to imagine when looking at the diagram, but it’s pretty easy, and I too had no experience with a sewing machine when I started.

2 minutes ago, Aradun said:

Using the pattern linked above, it’s all in how you fold the material as you sew it together. Once you cut the pattern out you be able to more easily see how it all comes together. It’s tough to imagine when looking at the diagram, but it’s pretty easy, and I too had no experience with a sewing machine when I started.

Ok thank you I’ll give it a try and see how it goes 🫣