chilledmilk's Kashyyyk build

chilledmilk

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now im at the spot in the build where I gota figure out how to get things to stick together, trying to get the leg armor and toe caps to work right but bikers shin guards are a bit different then what iv seen in other kashyyyk troopers. a bulbous end on the shin armor where the toe caps "connect" instead of a slope like iv seen, not saying its wrong just trying to work with it and figure out how to get it to fit. how do u work with the shin armor. once on your person. I got an idea how to make them seemless iv seen WIPs on that, but how do u put it on/off and tie boots and what not underneath then trooper?

I am at the same spot, from what I can judge, we have to cut at least half of the bulbous part off to get the slope correct, so it can fit underneath the toe armor. Good job on your gloves, BTW.

IMAG0130_zps93c2d828.jpg

blah crappy quality but ya, I know im missing the buckle or w/e that goes on top, gotta add that in.

What buckle? they look good to me or did the CRL change?

What buckle? they look good to me or did the CRL change?

Disregard. I see I missed this new gem while i was deployed. its really a tiny detail that i can easily add to mine. There is a thread in the glove section that has a good pic of it.

note to self and anyone else out there reading. guerilla glue sucks for bonding pieces together........ guess I need to find some real E6000

After further thought. I think the for sale sign I'm uusing as backing to join 2 pieces together is to thin/ flimsy

Any ideas?

I use E-6000. It's seems to work pretty good.

Do you have a store called Hobby Lobby anywhere near you? They have this great glue used for plastic models. That stuff bonds almost instantly. (Glued two of my fingers together with it. That lasted most of the day.) It's made pretty much for plastics only. I'll find the bottle I have here and get the name of it.

And, if you can find a store that sells the ABS plastic in small sheets, try to find some of that. The thinner plastic, like the for sale sign, won't be as sturdy.

I never even thought to see if Hobby Lobby would have ABS plastic.

The small glue bottle is called "Extreme Power" (Thick). It has a yellow label and yellow cap, and is 1 oz. Apparently it's made by Hobby Lobby.

I am experiencing a big problem with Photobucket, so I can't post any pics.

Here's a link to what the bottle looks like:

http://shop.hobbylob...dhesive-238410/

IMAG0135_zps6de958e5.jpginstalling the tank on my backplate tomorrow but whats the 2 vertical stripes for on backplate? just a guideline or are they on outside of tank so you can see the ripple next to where tank goes,

what kind of bondo are you guys using to cover over seams? the kind i got doesnt adhere well to ABS plastic, took a knife and caught an edge and the whole block of hardened bondo just peeled off

Start with 100% pure Acetone, buy a gallon.

Pour an ounce or so into a glass jar (small open mouth jar). Take a scrap piece of abs and using something sharp, scrape off peelings (like pencil shavings size) into the jar of acetone. Put allot of shavings in, the acetone will gradually melt the plastic into a goo. Add enough plastic until the goo reaches toothpaste consistency. Once you have a good batch melted put the lid on the jar tightly and set it aside. Now, prep your parts, put in a grove where you want the join, somewhere for it to sink in and bite to. Smear on some plastic goo, leave it crowned up over the crack like a regular weld looks, let it cure overnight. Sand to flush the next day, fill any pinholes with JB Weld. The crack will practically disappear at this point, paint as normal

yup, melts right down in acetone, havnt got the formula down right yet but close, i just put all the shavings i have in a glass and filled with acetone, most melted into toothpaste consistency but some was still hard, think it was a surface area issue. either way it works great, kinda addicted to it now.

and on the other note of why i was here, im super cereal, i gotta get all my parts put together this weekend, sanded and lookin good so i can paint in near future...

sorry for late reply my notification thing is messing up on site

What's your weather like out in OK? It sucks here. Can't get anything above the mid 40's. Can't do any painting in my garage at all.

I've used oth abs and hips goop.

Key is small volumes often. If u have big area to cover, remember that the acetone in ur goo can also soften the surface u are working on

You will find that it skins quite quickly, at which point it is still malleable if u want to do stuff, for instance I have rebuilt return edges