chilledmilk's Kashyyyk build

chilledmilk

first off, moderators if i put something up that is a violation edit at will. i just wanna start my build thread as well as a compiled list of where im getting all my reference materials as well as building materials for this suit.

Hard armor/helmet/greeblies

i found a fellow member on this site that is starting on making kits see bikerchick, paint is still not ordered, will need to look into Mr. bungles paint swabs as well as what they suggest now.

soft armor

British DPM style 95, the standard for our soft armor i found on ebay, i used http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/ for the riding patch and dye for uniform

Cummerbund

no vendors are available to make them anymore at this point so i am taking reference materials i can get along with treads started by heatshock and LSFU about their builds of cummerbunds. for the webbing needed for the cummerbund i used http://customtiedowns.com/index.php as a cheap source for the straps and then i used http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/ for base material.

boots

i was thinking of just repurposing one of my old tan army boots, the arch of the boot matches the shape that is required in the CRL. thinking of either painting boots white or figureing out how to bleach the tan into a off white so it looks weathered. holding off on ordering the straps for boots until i get the greeblies in so i can tell how wide the staps need to be to fit greebs.

gloves

have not started on gloves yet. but will more then likely order more mats online from stores listed above. only question is the brown leather, going to need to find a cheaper place to get that. found the leather for gloves and ordering greeblies now, think im gona try and go with the standard issue black dress gloves for either army/marine they have no special designs on them and fit nicely when worked with.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For most of my webbing I went to Seattle Fabrics. The shin straps are 1.5" cotton webbing. I used this material:

http://www.seattlefa..._Cotton_Webbing

For the hard armor paint:

Base coat: Rust-o-leum American Accents Fossil

Brown: Tamiya Color for Aircraft AS-22

Green: Tamiya Color for Aircraft (will edit for exact color)

Belt:

Plastidip Black Spray paint: The plastidip rubber adheres amazingly well to the rubber belt and is very flexible

Cummerbund:

I used upholstery fabric for the body. The material didn't dye as well as I thought it would so go darker from the beginning. Don't rely on the dye. I'll check the dimensions I used for the webbing. I think it was 1.25" for the vertical straps.

BDUs:

http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/by-color/british-dpm-camo/british-dpm-desert-camo-bdu-uniform-shirt-pants

As I remember more of the sources I used I'll update this post. I should have kept better records :(

Found the place I ordered the BDUs from: http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactical-gear/by-color/british-dpm-camo/british-dpm-desert-camo-bdu-uniform-shirt-pants . The sizes run a little on the small side so when in doubt order big. The pants and shirt come as a set.

Adding this to my first post.

I also ordered a surplus set off of eBay. It didn't dye right. I just wouldn't hold enough dye to get dark enough. I hope you have better luck. You'll want to use one or two packets of dark brown and one packet of black.

I tried dyeing it a second time and it didn't get much darker. Maybe a little, but not much. It's much better to get the mixture right the first time, at least, from my experience.

I got grumpy's pouches in the mail, they are great, also plain tan since multi-cam is hard to get, so I also found some camo paint/dye stuff to get the right color on pouches, gonna try and test it before going all out, all these plans will be WIP with pics when I get all the mats in. here is what I found Camouflage Camo Kit - 3 Pack - Simply Spray Fabric Paint

think i might be able to start the pouch camo this weekend, since mine are base tan, should be easy but from some of the reference pics i can find from trooper commander that is with yoda, his pouches are just tan with brown spots on them, is that ok?

From that shot it looks like the camo on the pouches is the same colors as that on the armor. It's hard to tell if there is green on his pouches or not because of the lighting. Considering that the CRL has this to say about the pouches:

"pouches are either cloth covered and painted with camo pattern or covered with multi-cam cloth"

...you'd probably be okay. I recommend adding some green on there just to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

i havent forgotten about making a kashyyyk trooper. just got pwn'd by the realization that i cannot sew. hand sewing gloves together with the patches on i and everything. it sucks so bad. but now heatshock has posted dimensions on cummerbund i can work on that as a break.

i havent forgotten about making a kashyyyk trooper. just got pwn'd by the realization that i cannot sew. hand sewing gloves together with the patches on i and everything. it sucks so bad. but now heatshock has posted dimensions on cummerbund i can work on that as a break.

Don't give up the faith Shyyyk. If you can't sew, practice on something non-critical. You can do anything you set your mind to.