Chris’s ROTJ Scout Trooper Build WIP

Hello all,

I'm still collecting supplies and I've not yet purchased a trooping quality helmet kit but I'm ready to start a WIP…so here we go!

It would be great to go for Lancer but I say this as a noob so we’ll see where this takes me.  I have begun to upgrade some of the parts for screen accuracy and also my preference for the off white details.   

I do want to say that I’ve been building up a lot of confidence as I read through the posts and watch Mickey’s videos over and over again.  This group seems to do a really great job of supporting their community and that is encouraging.  Anyway, time to take my first steps…

Parts / Vendors:

Helmet Kit - RS Prop Masters

Armor Kit - Far Away Creations / Mon Cal’s Prop Shop

Thermal Detonator Kit - Studio Creations

Tank Topper Greeblie - Studio Creations

T-Bit Greeblies - Studio Creations

Jumpsuit & Neck Seal - Keep Trooping

Vest & Cummerbund - Keep Trooping

Boots - Keep Trooping

Balaclava - TBD but I know I have one somewhere

Gloves - WampaWear

Canvas Pouches - Far Away Creations / Mon Cal’s Prop Shop

Weapon / EC-17 Hold-Out Blaster BlasterWorks

Starting Point s.jpeg

• Like 3

Excited to see you take the plunge and watch your build unfold. Be sure to hit us up if you have any questions.

It’s great to hear you thinking about going for Lancer. Keep the specs in mind as you build your kit, but don’t let that stress you out. Lancer status is something you can attain down the line. For some perspective check out Mickey’s thread below:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/22685-a-few-words-about-level-2-and-new-recruits/

There’s no rush, and we’re happy to get you to that point down the line if that’s your goal. For now, enjoy the build and work towards getting out their to make some smiles happen .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

My first question is about the fit of the chest armor.  It appears that the bridges sit away from my body as it moves towards the shoulders but it's less noticeable when I'm wearing the jumpsuit and vest.  Here's a pick showing all sides.  Do you think I should cut the bridges slightly?  Thanks in advance!

Chest Armor Fit.jpg

Hi @Jediwannabe
I also have a MonCal set of armor, and find myself at this stage in the process to start this too. You may (or may not) have seen MonCal's instructions on his Scout Trooper Armor kit. But if you missed it, MonCal goes on to say this about it....

MonCal-Prop-Shop-Chest-and-Back-Armor.jp

This is the way I intend to follow it. I'll attempt this this evening.
😎 👍

-Iron

Yes, thanks @irongladiator. I’ve read the instructions. My question has to do with what is accepted as accurate. I’ve read a number of other builds and watched a number of videos repeatedly and the shoulder bridge doesn’t seem to get focus. Since it is a key part to my moving forward I would feel better if I had a little input from the group. I’ll continue to search to see if other builds have address it in the meantime. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

@Jediwannabe
Not a problem! Just looking to provide input to the best of my knowledge. That being said, I may also wait for a reply from an expert scout before I move forward.
😉

-Iron

• Like 1

Try overlapping the shoulder bridges by about an inch and secure the halves with tape. Then take another look. That'll inform how much you need to trim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today, I took a quarter inch off of each side of the shoulder bridge.  It feels pretty good to me.  I'm enlisting my wife's help in the sowing part so I can work on the chest and belt straps next.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

I have a few questions. 

First, a question about posting here; it's odd but it seems that every time I post a photo, the size I'm permitted to post becomes even smaller.  My current max total allowable size is 70.77 kB, which isn't really allowing me to post photos of my progress.  Any thoughts on that?

Next, the MonCal tank has a very large hole drilled at the bottom that they provide a wing nut and bolt to connect directly to the back armor.  This is clearly inaccurate so I'm curious to know how people may have dealt with this.  I was thinking of CA gluing a piece of ABS inside the tank and then making a new hole for the bolt. I would still have a large drilled out area around it but that's all I can come up with aside from filling the hole and doing a full repaint...which I'd like to avoid.

Last question is regarding the SC thermal detonator.  I'm curious to know how people have been attaching the clips to the tube.  It doesn't seem like there's much for a screw to bite into so maybe a bolt is better? 

Thanks in advance!

-C

Re: images, we don't have the budget for unlimited image storage, so you'll need to use a hosting site:

https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/23053-faq-how-do-i-post-images/

How big is the hole in the MC tank? Once you get images up and running, I'd like to see it before getting into repair methods.

I used pop rivets and washers when I attached my clips to the det tubing.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jediwannabe said:

First, a question about posting here; it's odd but it seems that every time I post a photo, the size I'm permitted to post becomes even smaller.  My current max total allowable size is 70.77 kB, which isn't really allowing me to post photos of my progress.  Any thoughts on that?

I just checked your profile -- that's how much image space you have left.  Every rank and file member gets 1MB worth of photos to post.   

I host my photos on my Dropbox account.  Other folks use Imgur.   And there's also posting through Tapatalk,  You got options!

• Thanks 1

Huh. I've seen plenty of Mon Cal armor over the years, but I honestly can't recall him putting a big screw hole like that at the bottom of the tank. @Retrofire Pete, have you seen this on your radar in the past?

One option is to glue a piece of plastic over the hole on the inside of the tank, then use some white scrap plastic, like the trimmings from your shoulder bridges, to make some abs paste: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/51562-how-to-apply-abs-paste/

Once it dries, you can sand it at increasingly high grits and you should be able to smooth it out to the point that it's not noticeable.

Here are some pics from today's updated test fit. 

I've strapped up the bicep and forearm pieces.  

The belt has been riveted and sewn. I chose to sew in velcro for the drop box strap attachments in the back.  It seems like I need to take in the slack a little in the back of the boxes but otherwise it seems ok?

I will focus on the chest armor straps next and strapping the tank on. The tank is currently held on with the wing nut/screw that MonCal provided but it appears I'll be making ABS paste to fill in the hole and provide a proper rivet before I can proceed further. 

IMG_9215.jpg?rlkey=zyvtipaqwe35qy0d2csa2IMG_9217.jpg?rlkey=w6s3najp7xmulbnozcvaqIMG_9216.jpg?rlkey=06u4lvkscp7l02l4c1x3mIMG_9218.jpg?rlkey=f99k36syvp4kkv1p84n3l

23 hours ago, Chopper said:

Huh. I've seen plenty of Mon Cal armor over the years, but I honestly can't recall him putting a big screw hole like that at the bottom of the tank. @Retrofire Pete, have you seen this on your radar in the past?

One option is to glue a piece of plastic over the hole on the inside of the tank, then use some white scrap plastic, like the trimmings from your shoulder bridges, to make some abs paste: https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/51562-how-to-apply-abs-paste/

Once it dries, you can sand it at increasingly high grits and you should be able to smooth it out to the point that it's not noticeable.

I have not @Chopper this is a first for me. Not sure why Cal would add such a large hole in the tank bottom. I would agree that it needs to be filled in and if you are going to go for lvl 2 a rivet would need to be added at some point. Some of the other things I'm seeing is that you'll want to bring the back ends of your drop boxes up as they are canted down towards the back. Most of rest is fitment and once you get the rest of your soft goods completed we can help you with any dressing issues. Keep up the great work and keep asking those great questions!

• Like 1

Another quick question -

I can't find confirmation of the size of the white elastic strip that covers the shoulder connections.  Is it 1 inch?  The Lancer build doesn't note the size and Mikey's build doesn't specify either.  The RS build says it's 1 1/4" but that seems a bit big and since they overlap the bridge, it might be why they make it bigger. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

27 minutes ago, Jediwannabe said:

Another quick question -

I can't find confirmation of the size of the white elastic strip that covers the shoulder connections.  Is it 1 inch?  The Lancer build doesn't note the size and Mikey's build doesn't specify either.  The RS build says it's 1 1/4" but that seems a bit big and since they overlap the bridge, it might be why they make it bigger. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

When all else fails.... read the CRL ;)

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Shoulder bridge covers, covering the join between the front and back of the armor, are made of white cotton webbing or elastic.
    • Covers are between .5 inch and 1 inch wide.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello!  This morning I purchased the RS Prop Masters helmet kit.  Looking forward to receiving it and loving the fact that they're currently doing a tutorial video on YouTube. Seems like the timing is perfect.  I've been a little nervous about building the helmet but it looks like I'm going for it. 🙂

• Like 2

A few additional updates to share from the build.

Boot holster complete.

Shoulder bells attached and bridge covered. Also, started the lower strap to attach chest to back.

Thermal detonator complete.

02.10.24-Blaster-Holder2-copy.jpg?rlkey=02.10.24-Blaster-Holder3-copy.jpg?rlkey=