New CTPG Kashyyyk Trooper Armour

ChrisThePropGuy

Hi there,

I am begining a new project, one that I wish to turn into a kit and also if the DCA's permit possibly redoing the CRL.

Id love any and all input and critisism as Id like to make this the best kit it can be.

Right now Ive completed about 60% of the parts:

MbgtBWL.jpg

Some notes Id like to make:

- Im not convinced that the cod is an armoured part, it seems to hug the pants pretty tight similar to the ROTJ scout. any input?

- The knees looks slightly different to the GM ones. Mainly the top trapezoid looks wider and there apears to be indents on the edges similar to the ROTJ scout.

- Ive been asked by a few people if I can make a swivel helmet similar to my ROTJ helmets. This IS NOT POSSIBLE without some simi-major mods to the top of the visor as you can see it clips. Im wondering if we can come to a middle ground or are we prioritising the look over the functionality here? maybe a lvl 2?

qrcUNVl.jpg

Keen to know your thoughts. 

Im going to make this in tandem with a galactic marine as I have ordered soft parts for both.

Keen to know your thoughts and if it would be possible to work with you guys to help update the CRL as I know it had been mentioned a couple times.

Thank you for looking, Im very excited to get to work on this as this has been a bucket list build for me since I started prop building.

With initial inspection, here are my first suggestions.
You need to make your visor coin slot thinner, make the bolts on the sides of the visor removeable and make the trapezoid recesses in the back of the helmet smooth, remove the straps from around the calve pieces and take the rings off of the boot top armor.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also, remove the pouches from the belt and make the cod piece not as long.

• Like 1

Also, remove the pouches from the belt and make the cod piece not as long.

Thanks Jake!

I've just got the belt and pouches as place holders for scale. They'll be removed once I'm done though I may just finish them so potentially 1/6 collectors could make their own customs with it as I sometimes cater to those guys.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If that's your intent I would make a set for the 1/6th group and one for the costumers.

• Like 3

If that's your intent I would make a set for the 1/6th group and one for the costumers.

Yeah I'll be doing seperate files for specific things

I have completed the first itteration of the armour. Me and some guys are going over it to see if theres anything Ive missed or that needs tweaking.

Im planing to design the helmet to be vac formed, huge challenge, but I got some cool ideas for it.

o479H1j.jpg

Id also like to show some of the reference Ive found:

1vMJdNN.jpg

6LaXyBD.jpg

yQVAdfa.jpg

QoEx18e.jpg

qy2A344.jpg

EXKEjEX.jpg

mEYHuV4.jpg

asAkkg1.jpg

nsuoZWy.jpg

22iOwF5.jpg

bT1rPSv.jpg

MxBpUXO.jpg

27UAfRv.jpg

keKUxz5.jpg

HvFXS1G.jpg

NVG5262.jpg

LMgDjb2.jpg

Some notes Id like to point out for clarification:

Im 100% CERTAIN there are at least 2 different texture sets for this. You can tell by the material roughness and the camo texztures.

Between them it has either a silver or a grey basecoat. Which one will we be doing?

Also the knees show both recessed and non recessed edging, whats gonna be correct?

Also tan or warm grey bund?

@ChrisThePropGuy The hanging boxes seem a bit taller and they taper towards the bottom [and front to back IMO]. The flap closure also tapers in further than the sides

UasH4i8.png

It looks like the front top boxes taper on the inside edge and the lower taper both edges. Not sure about the others--looking for reference.

.EW4e2yo.png

Are you going to work the helmet striation line in? It'd be a nice touch; I'm not aware anyone else has added this detail.

XOmg6Im.png

[mention=83200]ChrisThePropGuy[/mention] The hanging boxes seem a bit taller and they taper towards the bottom [and front to back IMO]. The flap closure also tapers in further than the sides
UasH4i8.png
It looks like the front top boxes taper on the inside edge and the lower taper both edges. Not sure about the others--looking for reference.
.EW4e2yo.png
Are you going to work the helmet striation line in? It'd be a nice touch; I'm not aware anyone else has added this detail.
XOmg6Im.png
Thanks for the feedback, I addressed the boxes on Facebook. I will be fixing them properly for the actual material ones. As for the angle I opted to keep it off as some other pictures I was using as reference indicate its a softer transition there. I'll defos be painting in that line to give appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

AWWW MAN IM EXCITED!

Pretty sure the KT helmet done in ABS is a world first so pretty pumped for that but I got the prototype done. No resin greebs yet as theyre printing but I had to show this off right away.

4oAHJgd.jpg

YEVRNhh.jpg

Zini0Tm.jpg

rPQRvxK.jpg

XWAyusU.jpg

Unfortunately does not open and close at the moment and the face needs to be up to get your head in, will troubleshoot this shortly.Also had some moulds cave in so gave a slightly wobly appearance which I need to fix for future casts. Once its painted though I doubt it will be noticable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisThePropGuy said:

AWWW MAN IM EXCITED!

Pretty sure the KT done in ABS is a world first so pretty pumped for that but I got the prototype done. No resin greebs yet as theyre printing but I had to show this off right away.

3 minutes ago, ChrisThePropGuy said:

Refering to specifically the helmet specifically, all other ones Ive seen are Resin cast.

Doesn't say that specifically in your post  .. I mean, before you edited it that is ;)

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

Doesn't say that specifically in your post ;) 

Yeah my bad, edited to do so. I think I was relying too much on contextual cues of the pics but better to be specific.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisThePropGuy said:

Yeah my bad, edited to do so. I think I was relying too much on contextual cues of the pics but better to be specific.

Either way, great to have another maker out there, especially in that part of the world because shipping from the US is always a big issue!  

• Like 2

Need to start getting paints mixed,

Would like to know which colour you think best represents whats seen on screen @Jakeputt @BikerScout007

I have got the colours dropped from the most lit portions to best reflect what is shown in the scene.

I currently have a preference but would like to see what everyone else says first.

21wb5yx.jpg

zVE5LgB.jpg

pL0OmCT.jpg

Personally I like the top choice as it seems the least affected by color grading.   The beach scenes of ROTS always look very blue to me.  

7 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Personally I like the top choice as it seems the least affected by color grading.   The beach scenes of ROTS always look very blue to me.  

Personally I quite like the look of the tint but in terms of a straight khaki I agree with the top

• Like 1

I would like to see something between 1st and 2nd.

Ok so mixed up some paints and Im feeling pretty good about it, not really blended or weathered but I think the core colours are close. The tan and brown I really like, it captures the warmth and balances the cool I feel like. The green Im having trouble with as it differs between shots, let me know you thoughts?

Also Have designed some new aerators to reflect the design in the pic.

QrrlaM2.jpg

• Like 3