A Jawas armor build, WTF armor

Utinni534

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

Your lines are in the ballpark. The trickiest part when cutting the tank is making it so that the cuts fit against the "bump" at the base of the back armor.

What I would start with, is a cut like this. Then, once you're able to better seat the tank on the back armor, mark and trim out the "cuts" that allow the tank to fit over the "bump" at the base of the back armor.

Tank.JPG

Yeah its tough for me even to follow a video going through it, since most videos I've watched just seem to breeze through it, but I think once I get a day off first thing is I'll take the sides and top in a bit and play with that

It's going to be an iterative process with trim/fit, trim/fit steps. This is a good first pass on your outline and trimming. Keep up the great work!

It took two tries and the help of a Garrison-mate to get a nice close fit...you'll get there. Just take your time and be as patient as you can with it.

• 5 months later...

Okay, been a while since I posted, been making progress in the background, unfortunately I'll have to completely redo the cummerbund since I sewed the velcro and pouches on the wrong side, and gotta work on the belt, but its getting there, have an issue with the holster, the front of it has a big gap between the boot and the holster when worn, would judt gluing a spare piece of plastic work to fix that?received_1112395769940797.jpeg?rlkey=h6rreceived_2472413499605971.jpeg?rlkey=rvl

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FogOut said:

Did you managed to sort out the tank issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sort of, bought a replacement tank, not perfect but it's much better20240120_211008.jpg?rlkey=nwlwog18hwe89x

• Like 1

Great to see you back at it again! Looks like things are coming along. You’re already on correcting the bund.

If you can post pics of the holster and boot so the armory team can better see the issue you noted.

Can you post some additional photos of your tank too? It could just be the photo, but the pin striping looks a little off and the tank topper looks a little large for the new tank.

The pinstripe should be laid out as seen below:

3a9c1deac29683c8c411b5740cc8752c.jpg

4 minutes ago, Aradun said:

Great to see you back at it again! Looks like things are coming along. You’re already on correcting the bund.

If you can post pics of the holster and boot so the armory team can better see the issue you noted.

Can you post some additional photos of your tank too? It could just be the photo, but the pin striping looks a little off and the tank topper looks a little large for the new tank.

Yeah it was quite a bit of eyeballing, I'll get a better picture to see if that will help, the boot isn't totally accurate but you can see into the front of it quite a bit when it's on, topper came pre attached to the tank20240120_220024.jpg?rlkey=lwar2dw2vglvrj20240120_220037.jpg?rlkey=cckk7l2qio67en

23 minutes ago, Aradun said:

The bund I completely screwed up and put everything on the opposite sides of what it should have been, normally not a problem but Keep Trooping sews a velcro patch and a size tag right into the pattern so if I ripped that out then I'd have to re sew the whole vertical pattern

Thanks for the quick response with the additional photos.  I’m tagging @Chopper  to get his feedback, but the topper looks to be oversized and a bit thick compared to the proportions below:

819729255eb876e3d02ea94713ab1421.jpg

The six rank stripes are typically thinner, but it may not be an issue for basic. Chopper can confirm whether or not the thickness matters for basic approval.

57ed59065afb742d9d8ddc6e9ed42f7f.jpg

He may have some suggestions for the boot. I don’t think it would be as noticeable if the glue were clear instead of yellowed. Perhaps a little white touch up paint would do the trick, buts let’s wait to see what Chopper has to say.

Also, you may want to check with your GML about the color difference between the new tank and the back armor. It could just be the lighting in the photos, but the tank looks to be a much brighter white than the back armor. It might not be that noticeable in bright light though.

8 hours ago, Aradun said:

Thanks for the quick response with the additional photos.  I’m tagging @Chopper  to get his feedback, but the topper looks to be oversized and a bit thick compared to the proportions below:

The six rank stripes are typically thinner, but it may not be an issue for basic. Chopper can confirm whether or not the thickness matters for basic approval.

57ed59065afb742d9d8ddc6e9ed42f7f.jpg

He may have some suggestions for the boot. I don’t think it would be as noticeable if the glue were clear instead of yellowed. Perhaps a little white touch up paint would do the trick, buts let’s wait to see what Chopper has to say.

Also, you may want to check with your GML about the color difference between the new tank and the back armor. It could just be the lighting in the photos, but the tank looks to be a much brighter white than the back armor. It might not be that noticeable in bright light though.

Main issue with colour difference, im colorblind lol, well red/green colorblind but similar colors all blend together for me, I had used the rank bars and pin striping off a Walt kit, and the tank came from Kropserkel when I messed up the original 

5 minutes ago, Utinni534 said:

Main issue with colour difference, im colorblind lol, well red/green colorblind but similar colors all blend together for me, I had used the rank bars and pin striping off a Walt kit, and the tank came from Kropserkel when I messed up the original 

I still do have the tank topper from the Walt kit, only pain then would be taking that one off since it's been glued in for a long time

Unfortunately, that tank topper is not going to work, even for basic clearance. That's the Don Jarr tank topper and it's very oversized. Once you remove the tank topper you'll need to further trim the top of the tank so it fits more flushly along the back armor, as is shown in the photo Dennis posted.

Can you clarify your assembly of the boot holster? Did you cut a slot and push the holster section through the slit? Is the yellow portion glue? The protruding section should not be outwardly visible and needs to be flush. Are you able to trim it without the holster section coming out?

Those rank stripes are thick. It's fine to have 4 thicker ones, since we saw that on screen. I recommend you remove the 2 top ones so that you have 4.

We are happy to continue to help with your build, but do you know of any armor parties or fellow garrison mates who are experienced armor builders? There's only so much we can do remotely when it comes to armor trimming and assembly. If possible, I do think it might be helpful if you were able to team up with someone and work on the armor build side by side.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

Unfortunately, that tank topper is not going to work, even for basic clearance. That's the Don Jarr tank topper and it's very oversized. Once you remove the tank topper you'll need to further trim the top of the tank so it fits more flushly along the back armor, as is shown in the photo Dennis posted.

Can you clarify your assembly of the boot holster? Did you cut a slot and push the holster section through the slit? Is the yellow portion glue? The protruding section should not be outwardly visible and needs to be flush. Are you able to trim it without the holster section coming out?

Those rank stripes are thick. It's fine to have 4 thicker ones, since we saw that on screen. I recommend you remove the 2 top ones so that you have 4.

We are happy to continue to help with your build, but do you know of any armor parties or fellow garrison mates who are experienced armor builders? There's only so much we can do remotely when it comes to armor trimming and assembly. If possible, I do think it might be helpful if you were able to team up with someone and work on the armor build side by side.

Holster also came pre assembled, most of the work has been done at an armor party but unfortunately I don't have many scouts up my way, I'll post a better picture of the holster when I get home but it's already riveted in place, yellow portion is glue, I think I'll have to drill out the tank topper since it's also riveted in and swap for the Walt one, which is gonna be another pain since it's already secured onto the back and it came with an additional strip with glue onto the back

Hang in there Jared!  We’ve all been there.  Any armor build is challenging, and when building a scout kit, the tank piece is probably the toughest piece to trim and properly fit.

Take a break from the tank for now, and work on other parts of the build so you can continue to make progress.  That will also give you some time to see if you can get together with a Garrison mate to work on correcting the holster and tank.  

• Like 2

The amount of headaches this thing keeps giving me I almost want to just let it go
We all hit those points with these builds. Believe me, you are NOT alone. Sometimes you need to just step away for a couple of days and then come back refreshed. Don't rush yourself.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Okay, crazy idea, would I be able to get away with bending a piece or leftover plastic into the space left over in the holster and gluing it in place? Probably have to fill and paint and blah blah blah to get it to work but just trying to spitball ideas that don't involve buying a new pair of boots

You definitely do not need a new pair of boots. The holster is easy to remove with the proper tools. Once removed you can try to repair it or replace it if needed. A lot cheaper option than shelling out cash for new boots.

I really don't think the final effect will easily look "finished". I recommend that you remove the holster from the boot. Do you have a steel 1/8" drill bit? You should be able to remove the rivets by carefully drilling them out through the middle, which should allow you to remove the holster from your boot.

21 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I really don't think the final effect will easily look "finished". I recommend that you remove the holster from the boot. Do you have a steel 1/8" drill bit? You should be able to remove the rivets by carefully drilling them out through the middle, which should allow you to remove the holster from your boot.

I'm pretty sure my haunted house name would be the house of drill bits lol, im sure I've got one somewhere, was hoping to avoid having to drill again but I guess it's probably the easiest option