My first costume! Old guy making a dream happen - shooting for Lancer ROTJ build

Bikrtrash

The new color for the soles of your boot looks great! The spacing between the belt and your back and chest armor looks about right. It’s not a lot of real estate, as a general rule there’s only about 6” of bund that actually shows with about another 2” tucked under the chest armor. Things are really starting to come together. Keep up the great work!

Happy Easter everyone.

Another week gone by and after extensive cummerbund modifications and chest to back armor trial and error I FINALLY got to put everything on for the first time!!!

These are the pictures I'm going to submit for 501 basic membership approval.

I look forward to your input as to "final" tweaks needed (are they ever done?) And getting out there to troop events in Wisconsin.

The first tweak I see needing is a way to attach the back side of the cummerbund to the the back armor so it doesn't lump up like is showing up in the pictures...

Thanks again to Chopper and Aradun for all your help!!10a72f24fe37d72364c6ac74c04d7070.jpg29cfc1a720a43626c3e0ec19e4899d62.jpg1a1ebeca235ef2b39965bfcdb62ec1f5.jpg3d51c525370dffd521073c6ddeb94a28.jpgd9f7e1bdd7782c7ddb2292694c26b0df.jpgc11f33cb7cbed26372110b69439df7ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I only see two primary items for basic clearance, which I've marked in the attached photos.

1) In back you need to make sure your bund is tucked underneath your back armor

2) You should center and slightly lower your belt a bit

Overall, good job. Once those items are fixed, I'm sure you should get your approval soon.

back.jpg

front.jpg

Great job! Chopper’s got you covered with the tweaks for your approval pics, with regard to your question on the bunching you’re experiencing in the back with your bund…

You can attach a piece of Velcro to the outside back of your vest and another piece to the inside of your bund. That will keep it from sliding down and bunching up under your back armor.

Chopper put together a great post a few years back on how to keep things nice a tight while trooping so you look sharp from start to finish.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/w18894-some-tips-for-keeping-your-scout-costume-together-while-trooping/

Give it a read, and then after you get a few troops under your belt you’ll have a better sense of what tweaks are needed to keep stuff in place.

Good luck with your approval!

It was another round of tweaking based on both your and the local GML I got hold of.
I added velcro the rear of the cummerbund to attach to inside of the back armor, put my belt lower down more on my hips, shortened shoulder bells a bit, shortened flak vest sleeves a good amount to get my bicep armor up higher, and redid the cod piece a bit.

I submitted my official application tonight with new pictures and will see what happens...

Have a good week!9e28933ed6a9bd270200b9b4faec36fa.jpgf4752f9a2733218184de38c3593c4ae6.jpg7d529f6ec623da5dabe9a165ce8ef44e.jpgfec77208fa75ff406042fa50f0b69183.jpg3c93c340c3ef9fafff2380b6dd0f411a.jpg

• Like 4

Looks good, you should probably be good to go with your GML.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all - I got an email from my local garrison - I am approved by them! There are even 2 events this coming week very close to home here in Wisconsin, so i hope to jump right in and make at least one of them.

Sound like i will get my official 501st national designation in a couple weeks

Thanks again for all your help and encouragement, Have a great weekend!

• Like 1

Congratulations Scout! Welcome to the Pathfinders.

Don’t forget to request full Pathfinder access so you can have full access to the Detachment forum!

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/forum/162-access-requests/

Once you have full access, create a trooping log so you can earn forum badges and cool rocker patches as you knock out those troops!

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/forum/141-pathfinder-trooping-awards/

Looking forward to seeing those pics! Congrats again brother! Well done!

Congrats on approval! Watch out for trees and their inhabitants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I know what it took to earn my TKID of 32173, I have to warn everyone about the products from the U.K that I used (unfortunately)

He is James Forder on Facebook and I STRONGLY urge everyone to avoid buying his products - soft goods and boots.

He claims to have worked for Chef's Creations for 10 years and requested many measurements so everything would be custom fit to me. As everyone can see, nothing was even close and I had to purchase a sewing machine, teach myself how to use it, and heavily modify every single piece he sent me (with the exception of the pouches)

The armor I used was RWA from the UK, and i was not impressed with the chest and back armor shoulder straps. they are not "arched" to join with each other so it took a lot of heating and bending and are so close together I cannot have the front and back joined and slide my head through without almost ripping off my ears. I am a small guy with only a size 7 hat too! the shoulder straps are also not "sloped" to match a person's natural shape from neck to shoulder, so that needed work there too. 

If this should be posted somewhere else more useful to help save someone major upset, let me know as I sure hope that my experience can help someone else in the future!

• 10 months later...

After my first year of membership and making tweaks throughout multiple troops, I am almost ready to submit for Lancer!

I just need to make another flight suit and Flak vest to replace the inferior ones I purchased.

Are there any super in-depth tutorials for making sure the thigh patches are the correct shape and size? I have not been able to find any... and real suede is not cheap :)

Thanks in advance.

The CRL model is Lancer qualified and you can use that as a model for what you currently have. Check out the pinned topics in the ROTJ armory here for additional information:

https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/forum/145-rotj-biker-scout-soft-parts/

You can also reach out to @Chopper and @MrPoopie and provide some pictures if you are concerned. They are the members of the Lancer review team.

Before cutting anything, once you have the new flightsuit in hand, use chalk to draw the pattern on the flightsuit, put on the suit, and post a pic. The armorers can then help you make any needed corrections and from there you can trace out a pattern on newsprint or a brown paper bag for the suede.

I have the process detailed in my build thread if it helps.

https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/21137-dennis-scout-wip-lancer/

There are patterns there, but it’s best to do what I stated above, as everyone’s height, weight, and body shape is a little different so the pattern will likely need to be modified.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! I read through everything which is very helpful. Also had an idea- these are pics of my current suit patches, do they meet all Lancer size/placement requirements? If so, I can use them to make my patterns instead of starting from scratch.

c756eda204af64c2c6a88a0642a2c3cc.jpgf52578bde67365e4445075b7f5c44de5.jpg

The riding patch pattern looks fine, though it appears that the stitching is coming undone in some spots. If your idea is to unpick them and put them on new coveralls, then you should be okay.

Also note that the two piece velcro opening on the lower elastic of the knee armor will need to be re-done as a single piece of elastic.

Thanks Chopper, the plan is to remove the ones in the pic (and the butt flap) to use as templates for my real suede. and install the new ones on the new suit.

Thanks for reminding me about the knee armor strap- I almost forgot that I needed to re-do those!

• 1 month later...

Working on my new undersuit for Lancer- I made some riding patches to show size/placement/fit before cutting up expensive suede.
Do these meet Lancer??..

P.s. I know I have to take in the upper thigh a little when I am doing the mods so the legs fit better.

Thanks in advance guys!334f143624cca08eba163c4373940c8c.jpgb0626aeee22a01d19d543f0777aededc.jpg

Yes, you are correct that you will need to take in the legs. The patches look generally fine. I would take a half inch off each side of the butt flap an an inch off the bottom.

• Like 1