My first costume! Old guy making a dream happen - shooting for Lancer ROTJ build

Bikrtrash

Hi all!

I am working on my first costume and If I'm going to do it, I'm shooting for the stars!

I am hoping that posting pictures will yield the feedback I need for 501 approval (in Wisconsin) and get me to Lancer status when I'm done.

Here's the details of what I have to work with:

Helmet- New Image Prop Replicas

Flight suit- Carmac's prop shop (I had to buy a sewing machine, learn how to use it, and modify it to fit heavily!)

Flak vest- Carmac's prop shop

Cummerbund- Carmac's prop shop (had to take out 2" of circumference)

Boots- Carmac's prop shop (had to take almost 2" off the top of the boots)

Armor- RWA Creations (Currently trimming, painting, and figuring out how to attach elastic)

Goves- Wampawear

Please examine my pics and let me know of any issues you see that will need to be corrected.

Thanks, and I look forward to eventually meeting other Wisconsin "nerds" like myself soon!

front 3-11-23.jpg

• Like 3

Hey, it's great to have you here man! The scout was my first kit too and I also went lancer out of the gate. A lot of the lancer stuff has to do with fitting the soft stuff to the armor pieces with the distances of the pieces with one another. If the cummerbund and codpiece are two pieces it looks like it's going ok. Just make sure that your straps and elastics are the right sizes for lvl 2. Its hard to see how your riding patch and thigh elastics look. Follow the instructions with each of the different pieces and you should be ok. So far things are looking good! 

We are here for you!

Hey, what's going on. Welcome to the Pathfinders Detachment.

You might want to take a look at this thread is a good guide for your build:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/17305-lancer-build-tutorial/

I am not familiar with Carmac's Prop Shop, but we're happy to take a look at the goods as your build progresses.

You might want to look into image hosting on imgur, flickr, or dropbox, as the board's hosting capacity is limited, which makes reviewing details more difficult.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/22990-sharing-photos-with-dropbox/#comment-215704

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/23053-faq-how-do-i-post-images/

You might also want to take a look at this thread as well, regarding Lancer/Level 2 apps:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/21881-rotj-scout-armor-kit-accuracy-and-level-2-lancer-applications/

Overall, from what I can see in your photos, the only thing that stands out right now is your bund length. Average bund length is about 8-9 inches and yours looks longer than that. Still, that's something to deal with once you start fitting your armor, so I'd leave it be for now.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

You may want to check out this thread too:

• Like 2

Welcome Brother!  Sounds like you’re off to a great start.  I too am not familiar with Carmac’s Prop Shop, but the armory team is always on the look out for new vendors.  If you use an image hosting service for your photos the team will be able to better see the details as was mentioned above.  The Tapatalk app is another option, and it allows you to post to the forum and insert photos right from you phone.  The free version is fine for most users.

When you have time and get the image thing sorted, if you could post up some detailed photos of the goods you purchased from Carmac’s that will help the armory team evaluate the suitability of Carmac’s as a vendor for future Scouts.  

We’re here to help you succeed, so ask any and all questions you may have.  

Another question - I have most of my armor trimmed and painted - what are people using to attach the elastic to the plastic armor? I am starting with the knee armor and the bicep and forearm pieces.

Thanks again in advance!

I will look into picture apps- I haven't used my phone for this, but that is free, i just may start! lol

All of my Elastics have hook Velcro at the ends, and then the Armor has the Hook element right next to the openings. Works pretty much the same way for elbows/forearms as well. RS prop video showed them gluing the elastic to the armor. I just followed my SC instructions which showed the Velcro on each side ;).

The Duke noted the two main ways: using hook and loop (which allows for a little adjustment) and gluing the strapping directly onto the armor. If you go the glue root just make sure the the length of the elastic is little shorter than what you need so that it provides a nice snug fit and won’t slide around on you.

When it comes to those things on your costume that aren’t visible from the outside, how you attach it is up to you. Either of the above methods will be fine.

16 hours ago, DukeOfNachos said:

All of my Elastics have hook Velcro at the ends, and then the Armor has the Hook element right next to the openings. Works pretty much the same way for elbows/forearms as well. RS prop video showed them gluing the elastic to the armor. I just followed my SC instructions which showed the Velcro on each side ;).

That's what I had in mind, still begs the question - what adhesive are you using to attach the velcro patch to the armor?

My SC kit had some Velcro that had adhesive on it, industrial grade won’t go wrong ;)

5 minutes ago, NotYetATrooper said:

That's what I had in mind, still begs the question - what adhesive are you using to attach the velcro patch to the armor?

Sew on for the soft goods, this stuff for the plastic parts.

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Industrial-Strength-Fasteners/dp/B00006IC2T/ref=sr_1_3?crid=OWJQJU9Y7RP0&keywords=black+2"+velcro+adhesive&qid=1679172970&sprefix=black+2+velcro+adhesive%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-3

From what you've posted, this is what I see so far:

1) It may be the lighting, but your boot soles look really dark, even for basic. They look closer to "chocolate" vs the "tan" called for in the CRL. Perhaps photos in better light would make this clearer.

2) The upper strap on your knee armor looks wider than the 1/2" called for in the CRL. It looks like it's either 3/4" or 1", but I'm just eyeballing it. The upper strap is optional anyhow.

3) Your bund still looks about 2-2.5" too long. I recommend that you get your belt and upper armor fitted, and then we'll take a look at what adjustments are needed for your bund.

Start by fitting your belt just under the navel. Then to fit your chest armor, and we'll see how the bund looks from there.

7 hours ago, Chopper said:

From what you've posted, this is what I see so far:

1) It may be the lighting, but your boot soles look really dark, even for basic. They look closer to "chocolate" vs the "tan" called for in the CRL. Perhaps photos in better light would make this clearer.

2) The upper strap on your knee armor looks wider than the 1/2" called for in the CRL. It looks like it's either 3/4" or 1", but I'm just eyeballing it. The upper strap is optional anyhow.

3) Your bund still looks about 2-2.5" too long. I recommend that you get your belt and upper armor fitted, and then we'll take a look at what adjustments are needed for your bund.

Start by fitting your belt just under the navel. Then to fit your chest armor, and we'll see how the bund looks from there.

I thought the boot soles were dark too. of course the person i purchased from said his boots are being approved. I would like to lighten them up if anyone has any suggestions.

Optical illusion in the picture, but the the knee armor straps are correct per the CRL, and it actually helps it from moving around, which is the only reason I installed it.

The bund is about 11" total height, and since I'm so short (only 5'6) it looks even worse. I did have some ideas with it- like covering up the bottom with the actual belt - using velcro to attach the belt to the bund to keep things in place, as well as covering the top with the chest armor- again using velcro to attach the bund to the armor to keep the bund from slipping down. other ideas to keep the bund from slipping down are appreciated too.

Thanks for the input- hopefully i can get some work done next weekend to pass on too.

So for basic approval the bund cannot extend below the belt.

“Extends from just under the chest armor down to the belt.”

A bund size between 8”-9” works for most, but as Chopper said, don’t make any adjustments until we see how it looks with the chest armor.

As for the soles, you can use some acrylic paint to paint them. Scuff the sides with some 400 grit sandpaper and then wipe them clean with some rubbing alcohol. That should create a decent surface for the paint to adhere to. The paint will eventually start to flake off over time, but just touch it up as needed.

@Chopper may have a paint recommendation for you for the soles.

11 hours ago, NotYetATrooper said:

The bund is about 11" total height, and since I'm so short (only 5'6) it looks even worse. I did have some ideas with it- like covering up the bottom with the actual belt - using velcro to attach the belt to the bund to keep things in place, as well as covering the top with the chest armor- again using velcro to attach the bund to the armor to keep the bund from slipping down. other ideas to keep the bund from slipping down are appreciated too.

The bund may still be too tall to cover with your chest armor. Generally, your bund shouldn't extend higher than the side straps of your armor and, as Aradun said, it's not supposed to be tucked into your belt either.

Loving all the feedback- you guys are awesome.  Looks like I am reworking every "soft part" I bought, lol.

What are people using to hold the 'bund up? Mine keeps sliding down because I don't have a beer gut to rest it on ;)

Typically, we use velcro to attach the bund to the flak vest.

See this thread for more optional tips: http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/18894-some-tips-for-keeping-your-scout-costume-together-while-trooping/

• Like 1

This week's update. Painted boot soles lighter tan (is this color ok, or too light now?) and test fitting belt along with chest and back armor.

I know I need to raise the dropboxes a little.

How perfect do the shoulder straps need to be? I have spent lot of time heating and bending to get them this close... and trying not to make junk out of expensive parts!

900b6410218e7029a8269ab1a7a4dd29.jpg15e2080024f8f27bf276bbba5e564425.jpgc835f3335cd1212d814cac52e6886aa2.jpg7ce78267d65c1001c9ab75b1b4b79112.jpg51895c71f16f6a212f83144d0923bb4b.jpg9fd754a8eae4316096b134dc04aac99f.jpgd7f0f50642e4099e838d2cfddc743d85.jpgb6bad4ad8a18534498ba76ee8df5a464.jpgcb1e3197e40d7cbfd23822a16c6b8f8b.jpgdb8aabab6a2b320073ed733c67b04e6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Hi, unfortunately the paint color you've chosen for your boots is now too light.

You're looking for a "wheat" color that's close to the color of the boots in the CRL image, below.

Your shoulder bridges are nearly there. I can't tell if it's the way you're standing, or the angle, but is one side uneven and bent more/less than the other?

d7f0f50642e4099e838d2cfddc743d85.jpgb6bad4ad8a18534498ba76ee8df5a464.jpg

TB_scout_boots.jpeg

That's what I figured on the boot soles - it was just something left over from painting on the house, so I figured I'd see how it ended up.

The shoulder bridges from new were almost straight up and down, I have only been tweaking on the back armor so far. I don't like the gap that I can see light through above the rear of the shoulder. 

I know most of this armor is actually too big for me as I am only 5'6" and 135 lbs, so the hard parts are more difficult to deal with than the soft parts - but since I am stubborn and a perfectionist, I know I'm going to win in the end!! lol

Have you already tried overlapping the ends of the bridges a bit, then taping them to check the fit? If the fit is good, once taped and verified, then you can trim the bridge ends a bit.

Yep, the pictures are with front and rear the armor bridge ends overlapped and only taped. Not willing to cut them off until the fit is perfect-ish.

As for the boot soles, I found this piece of plastic that I sold over the heel which looks like a close match to CRL - if this is good, I'll have a color match made. What do you think?9282222e2b0c2ab5ee8bf61183f3e5af.jpg

• Like 1

Another week and some more work done. I removed all the too light paint off the boot soles and repainted- should be a winner now!

I also put together the belt with velcro strapping and figured out length for drop box straps, pics show just over an inch hang from belt now. I still have to put the end caps on the detonator, I wanted to make sure it didn't interfere with anything before finalizing.

The belt looks a little high in the pics but the top edge is actually half inch below my belly button, and that doesn't leave much room between bottom of chest/back armor and belt for the cummerbund. Sometimes it sucks being a s small person, lol

I think I have the chest and back armor shoulder straps tweaked to get a decent look and fit, but it just taped until I am 100% sure this is where it needs to be

I also finished the work on back tank, just need to apply decals

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think as always, you have been a TREMENDOUS help!!!df6c8f6a79565b4fa22c625613bd66e3.jpgfb612bb418a24d99b1e8a9aefa76d9b2.jpgfcd145043becf9ab06d5377a1535c40e.jpg8d4b86a81b289575e73cbab985b6987f.jpgba82accdd5f71a2f71f770224eb34236.jpgc79e4fe750c93516a3b94c367bc15598.jpgbca498e9edbe5a1dc8085e6dd8e03fb9.jpg