Aether Squad Leader WIP

Aether

Hello fellow builders!

I have decided to start a squad leader shoretrooper build that will be 3D printed in PETG using Mr. Pauls files.  The soft parts I have on order with Darkside Closet.

I am currently in the process of printing everything which will take some time as I only have one printer right now.  My first question to the group is in regards to the torso section, I am able to flex the printed section enough to get it on and off but am slightly concerned that this make break over time.  I plastic welded the pieces together so the seams should be pretty strong and secure. Any thoughts?  Picture below for reference.

52620215108_9046bf3715_z.jpg

52620166485_14a3fd905b_z.jpg

52619219407_73c28fa930_z.jpg

• Like 1

It depends on a few things.  What filament did you use, how many walls and what % infill?

I printed my daughter's Mr. Paul kit in PETG with 2 walls and 10% infill and it's surprisingly pretty flexible.  And she hasn't manage to break it yet!   But if you do 4 walls, 20% and PLA -- might be a bit stiffer.

You may want to reinforce the inside of it with fiberglass to keep it from breaking, but that will add to weight and overall stiffness.  

@MrPoopie -- any advice?

• Like 2

So I printed mine in PETG with 4 walls at 20% infill so it is pretty much is solid. 

I've flexed it a few times and taken it on and off about 10 times to start testing it and so far so good.

• Like 1

As @BikerScout007mentioned infill percentage, pattern type and number of walls will all have an impact on flexibility and strength. Check out the link below for more detailed info about the subject. That being said you can run a strip (2-3") of fiberglass cloth around the top and another around the bottom edge for extra strength and security in case you develop a crack. That would also keep the extra weight down since you would have less fiberglass and not the entire interior. 

https://3dprinterly.com/what-is-the-best-infill-pattern-for-3d-printing/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Fiberglass will help. 

On high impact areas on other kits of mine, I glued (with contact cement) nylon webbing in the back for extra strength. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I printed my Mr. Paul's files with 3 walls, 10% infill in PETG. I also chemical welded my sections along with some epoxy reinforcement along those same seams. Pretty flexible. I did run additional fiberglass reinforcement on the belt tabs, just to be sure. 

However, I step into my torso like putting on a pair of pants. so that alleviates the need for extreme spreading to slip around my waist.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Any thoughts on the best place to order the neoprene for the chest/back armor?  I was looking around on Amazon for some options but thought I'd check here before I order something.