Valafar's 3D-Printed Shoretrooper build [FINISHED]

Valafar

Hello everybody, this is my WIP threat for the Shoretrooper Captain or Grunt that I plan on building next year.

Right now I am still researching and sourcing the parts, and I have a few Questions that you might be able to answer.

I was thinking about getting shirt and trousers from Imperial Boots, and I noticed that they sell the gloves as well. Most people here are getting the gloves from Endor Finders. Does anyone know which gloves have better accuracy or higher quality?

Since I'm printing my armor (Mr Pauls files) I'm wondering which colour I should buy the filament in. I was thinking about black. The Colour under the beige is a dark brown, right? Maybe a beige filament?

Lastly I was wondering where I could find references of the original costumes. I've seen a few photos in the past, but only from specific parts. So I'm looking for as much as I can get.

Thank you in advance

Hi Jonas! 

I only have gloves from Endor Finders so I can't help you there. 

I'd totally buy black filament. That way, as you get some organic weathering over time, it'll reveal the black underneath. My armor (ABS) is an old version from BSP and is beige. Every nick or scrape then reveals beige and I need to paint it. It's insanely annoying.

For screen used costumes, just google "shoretrooper flickr" and you'll get a bunch of the original photos from Rogue One costumes on display.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 4:25 PM, KOtrooper said:

Hi Jonas! 

I only have gloves from Endor Finders so I can't help you there. 

I'd totally buy black filament. That way, as you get some organic weathering over time, it'll reveal the black underneath. My armor (ABS) is an old version from BSP and is beige. Every nick or scrape then reveals beige and I need to paint it. It's insanely annoying.

For screen used costumes, just google "shoretrooper flickr" and you'll get a bunch of the original photos from Rogue One costumes on display.  

Thank you. I will be getting black PETG Filament then.

I found a threat in the FISD Forums that compares the two gloves and it looks like they are similar in accuracy, but the Endor Finders are better quality, so I ordered them.

I already ordered the shirt and pants from Imperial Boots as well because the sale is ending today and I didn't want to wait forever for them to arrive. That also made me realize how expensive this costume is going to be in the end, much more expensive than my clone because of the soft parts 😅

• Like 2

Yeah - the shore can get pricey fast. The soft goods can be self-made. The pants were the first thing I have ever made on a sewing machine. The undershirt takes forever to sew the ribs... but still doable.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, so in the meantime the gloves from endor finders and the shirt + pants from imperial boots arrived and fit pretty well, luckily.

After a few issues with certain parts, I printed the helmet and started with the arms. I had to scale up the lower arms to 115% (wide) to make my hands fit through. Surely not everyone has to scale them up? Do you keep them in 2 parts and assemble them when you suit up or are my hands just that big? I'm using mr Pauls files btw. On 100% they probably wouldn't even fit on the upper, bigger part or the forearm.

I just hope it won't end up looking too big compared to the other parts

• 2 weeks later...

After printing a bicep on 100% and it ended up being way to small, I decided to print it at 110%, which fits really well.

I felt like the forearm was way too big at 115%, so after a few test prints I ended up reprinting it at 110% as well, which fits nicely with the biceps. It might have been a slightly better fit with a few % less, but I think with padding I can make it look decent enough

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After another month of printing, I am finished with printing most parts, at least the ones that are included in the files by Mr. Paul

What's still missing are all the belt boxes, which i need files for. I looked at the files by Sean Fields, but I noticed that they are not the most accurate.

Has anyone else made belt box files that are most accurate? If not, I guess I have to stick to Sean's files as the best option.

10 hours ago, Valafar said:

After another month of printing, I am finished with printing most parts, at least the ones that are included in the files by Mr. Paul

What's still missing are all the belt boxes, which i need files for. I looked at the files by Sean Fields, but I noticed that they are not the most accurate.

Has anyone else made belt box files that are most accurate? If not, I guess I have to stick to Sean's files as the best option.

I designed my own belt boxes since there were no accurate 3D files available.

You can download them here:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5877902

I’m a shorter person (170 cm / 5.6”) so you might have to resize them a bit.

To attach them to the belt you could use threaded inserts, here’s how I did it:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScaryGuy said:

I designed my own belt boxes since there were no accurate 3D files available.

You can download them here:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5877902

I’m a shorter person (170 cm / 5.6”) so you might have to resize them a bit.

To attach them to the belt you could use threaded inserts, here’s how I did it:

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm sure i can figure out the sizing of them

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for ways to make the belt myself to save some money.

However someone in my Garrison said that the material is quite specific and it's really hard to find and make by yourself, so I'm wondering if anyone here has made the belt themself and what they used.

https://www.amazon.de/SUNTATOP-Gurtband-Nylon-Strapazierfähiges-Braun/dp/B07QQDSVV5?ref_=ast_sto_dp

This is something I found, but it's too narrow. Would that type of material work for a belt, if I find it in the right size and color?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, those look a bit too brown I would say. Try searching the color “coyote brown”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's nylon webbing 38mm wide so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Two strips are sewed together in a zig/zag pattern. You'd need to ask your local GML about the color (in case color options are very limited in your country).

You should be able to find the webbing at fabric stores, upholstery shops, and online.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to find something for the belt. Now I'm looking to source the foam and ABS plates for the hips.

Is there a recommended thickness for the plates and the foam? Or is the original thickness known?

I also looked at the thread for the hip plates template.

There are multiple links with slightly different shapes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v388aa09ix83u50/ST_hip_armor_template_remix.pdf?dl=0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1wZrZy9OqSdFFOTXFqbm45elU/view?resourcekey=0-_mTAHAQe36Nl2b0FACHEnQ

Which one is more accurate?

10 hours ago, Valafar said:

Managed to find something for the belt. Now I'm looking to source the foam and ABS plates for the hips.

Is there a recommended thickness for the plates and the foam? Or is the original thickness known?

I also looked at the thread for the hip plates template.

There are multiple links with slightly different shapes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v388aa09ix83u50/ST_hip_armor_template_remix.pdf?dl=0

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1wZrZy9OqSdFFOTXFqbm45elU/view?resourcekey=0-_mTAHAQe36Nl2b0FACHEnQ

Which one is more accurate?

If you look at those threads there it is stated what the thickness. I want to say the foam itself was 6mm? and the thickness of the abs was like a yard sale sign. I dont think there is a requirement for them as its not state on the CRL or even for higher levels. I printed the most recent one I think and it came out pretty good. Might make the connection tabs a tad longer for some wiggle room. 

• 4 months later...

I know I'm terrible at updating this WIP thread, but I made lots of progress in the meantime.

I made the belt and sewed lots of velcro on it, which took forever. I cut out the foam for the hip armor, as well as the ABS plates.

I formed the plates with a heat gun and spend lots of time sanding all the armor parts. I'll probably be finished sanding within the next week or so and I already started painting a few parts.

I noticed the paint doesn't really stick to the foam on the hips very well and needs many coats to paint it beige, is this normal?

Now I'm planning the strapping for the armor. While for most parts I already got some ideas, I am wondering how to attach the shoulder straps+buckle to the chestplate.

Do you guys permanently glue it on? Or do you velcro it or maybe use magnets? I think I prefer to not glue it, I like to keep things modular.

There is some noted separation between the buckle and the chest, meaning it should not sit flat on it. I recommend magnets. Here is a video that can give you some ideas.

• Like 1

Thanks for the video, I like the snap stud solution and I'll probably try to recreate it like this. I figured I'd use Nylon straps to attach the bicep armor to the shoulder bell, but flexible band sounds like a better solution. I will also totally yoink that rare earth magnet mount for the strap, that is neat! Thanks for posting that video!

The foam won't hold paint really at all. I brushed on some black plasti dip anywhere on the foam I wanted to paint as a binding agent.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding adhesion: 

I would suggest taking your foam and applying some PVA Glue (Bastelkleber sollte klappen, der hat keine Loesungsmittel die den Schaum angreifen), letting that dry and spraying on it to see if you are getting a better adhesion. 

• Thanks 1

Another day, another issue with the foam:

I tried glueing the plates onto the foam, but it didn't stick for very long. After an hour or two a part of the foam got pushed away from the plate.

It doesn't help that the plates a curved but foam wants to go straight.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the glue to dry (a few hours) ? Or maybe I was just using the wrong type of glue. Does anyone have advice for me?

3M Hi-Strength 90 Contact Spray Adhesive seems to work as well without damaging the neoprene I am using.

Super 77 works is safer with more foams. In general, apply a bit to a test piece before committing.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 5:15 PM, KOtrooper said:

I used contact cement. Never failed me.

Where and how much do you apply?

Just cover the whole part with a thin layer or use more but only at the sides?

• Valafar changed the title to Valafar's 3D-Printed Shoretrooper build [FINISHED]