Getting acquainted with the RotJ Scout...

LittleScout

After a couple years in the Legion, I've finally settled on a second costume to start working on: RotJ scout trooper! Originally I was going to go for a clone trooper, but then the pandemic and ensuing chaos happened, and once things calmed down I figured a costume with a bit less armor would be good to start with anyway (I'm currently a Jawa and so I have no experience with armor just yet). Can't say I'm upset though, because scouts seem to be lots of fun!

A few initial questions I have, after poking around the Pathfinders forums:

- Is "Lancer" the highest level of scout trooper accuracy? If so, I'm aiming for that :D

- I'm 5' 3" and 110lb, so I'll have to go for armor/soft goods that run on the smaller side. Any vendor recommendations from other short scouts out there for places that sell parts on the smaller side, in order to avoid major adjustments and/or returns? From what I've seen, MonCal has smaller-running armor, so I think I'll be getting at least the armor from there.

- And maybe a dumb question, but how do I order from MonCal? I can't find a link to them anywhere, lol.

- And finally, any recommendations for places that sell scout parts that are as close to accurate as possible? I do have sewing experience thanks to the Jawa, but scouts have a lot more details to keep track of, so I was hoping to get stuff that doesn't need any serious work to get them approvable. That being said, though, I'm still ready to get crafty and make adjustments as needed!

Thank you in advance for the help! Looking forward to adding a second (armored!) costume to the ranks.

• Like 2

Welcome Victoria!  I’m tagging in a couple of scouts that will help get your sizing questions sorted as they are of similar height to you @jennyruth @shashachu @M.J

For MonCal, you can reach out to him via Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/Far-Away-Creations-124196600929034/

or through his Etsy Shop where he has his scout armor listed: 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MonCalsPropShop?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=717530134

Make sure to check out some of the WIPs for the ROTJ Scout to see what’s involved:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/forum/96-biker-scout-wip/

The challenge will be modifying the armor to fit your build.  If you’re up to 3D printing your armor, you’ll be able to get a more custom fit.  Once those tagged scouts chime in you’ll have a better sense of your options.  If you have any questions along the way, be sure to ask.  We’re here to help you succeed!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hiya Victoria, and welcome to the detachment.

Yes, Lancer is the highest level of scout accuracy. There's a bit more info here on a level 2 build, as well as vendors that currently don't make the cut:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/17305-lancer-build-tutorial/

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21881-rotj-scout-armor-kit-accuracy-and-level-2-lancer-applications/

The thing to note about Lancer is that a lot of it comes down to how the armor and soft goods fit you. Nothing is Lancer out of the box and always double check against the CRL.

Mon Cal makes the smallest sized armor, though you'll likely still need to make some trimming adjustments to some parts in order to fit your size.

Cal is on Etsy and Facebook. And if you have concerns about sizing, you should talk to them. They're pretty responsive:

https://www.etsy.com/market/far_away_creations?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search_US_DSA_GGL_ENG_General-Nonbrand_Catch-All_New-LPE&utm_ag=US_DSA-General&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAiAvK2bBhB8EiwAZUbP1El5JABAlneJZRM0yaPD07Mr2nDrEEwTYzwmbeCVx_ykAX2oFD1AfBoCR5UQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_18274398216_140418366425_544453574788_dsa-19959388920_c_&utm_custom2=18274398216&gclid=CjwKCAiAvK2bBhB8EiwAZUbP1El5JABAlneJZRM0yaPD07Mr2nDrEEwTYzwmbeCVx_ykAX2oFD1AfBoCR5UQAvD_BwE

https://www.facebook.com/Far-Away-Creations-124196600929034/

There are a number of soft good vendors that make accurate scout parts. For example, KriptonTop on Etsy, Chef's Creations in the UK, Steph's Imperial Outfitters.

Most soft good vendors will ask for your measurements, but you may still have to do some minor tailoring to fit.

One challenge may be finding a set of finished boots in your shoe size. If you're willing to make your own, which many of us have done, you can take a base boot and build it up, as per the thread below:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/19708-biker-scout-boots-tutorial/

Hopefully that gets you started. Let us know if you have more questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Victoria...ah a fellow Jawa!! 

If you have some sewing skills, I believe you could attempt your soft parts. There are plenty of patterns here and really its more of straight lines and the pattern measurements are straight forward. Good thing if you've made your own and later down the track you need to replace ...easy! you made it before. In the years of mine I've replaced nearly all my soft parts, after 10 years the armour holds up but the fabric doesn't.

I mentioned to another member Studio creations (fantastic to deal with) are a good fit as well, my daughter is your height. (far away creations) 

Awesome you're going for Lancer.  

Once you've start your build all of us here will keep an eye on it and help you along.

One hint I give many future Scouts that get fitted for soft parts, have your armour first, before the cummberbun is correctly made, each chest piece sits differently on each person this will help with the length and placement of the pouches, the black undersuit whether its overhauls or 2 piece they might be one of the first things to get going. 

Boots another easy make, patterns are on here with step by step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for the info! I'm now following a few more threads and have a better idea of where to go from here. 

I'll definitely go MonCal for the helmet, and am between MonCal and Studio Creations for the armor... decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

I'll take a bit more time in the research phase, and then will make the jump to ordering parts and getting a build thread going. I've never worked with armor before, so this will be interesting!

16 hours ago, KyloHen said:

Thank you all for the info! I'm now following a few more threads and have a better idea of where to go from here. 

I'll definitely go MonCal for the helmet, and am between MonCal and Studio Creations for the armor... decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

I'll take a bit more time in the research phase, and then will make the jump to ordering parts and getting a build thread going. I've never worked with armor before, so this will be interesting!

MonCal makes a really nice helmet - probably #3 after the RS and Lonewolf/CfO lids.

I've had the MonCal armour in the past (currently working on an RS build) and it's nice. SC makes nice stuff too and is well priced. You're not gonna go wrong either way you go. Sometimes MonCal stuff takes a bit longer to arrive.

• Like 2

Hi, Victoria!

Sorry for the delay in my response. Life hit with some crazy.

So, we are similar in size, but I'm 15-20 pounds heavier, especially post-COVID :) With your size, fitting can be difficult not only in length but also in width. I found that 3D printing my armor got the best fit, but I did work with Studio Creations on a few things. They have smaller pulls in the biceps and the belt, which will be extremely helpful for you. SC also offers it pre-trimmed, but you would likely still need want to do some fitting on it. They are also lovely to deal with, as @M.J noted above. Although I think MonCal is also very responsive and kind, one of my friend did wait a while to get his armor from them as @Dart mentioned. No matter where you purchase it, you will likely need to trim and shape some pieces. 

The soft parts are mainly straight lines. So, feel free to get some cheap fabric and try a few things. But I do know that many use Steph's Imperial Outfitters for soft parts and boots.

I made my soft parts and boots using all of the wonderful tutorials and working threads on this forum. Here's my WIP, if that's helpful. Feel free to ask or message me any questions.

I also looked at this build when I was getting started. She bought her armor from SC, and although taller than us, is slim. You can see how she trimmed some pieces and used hot water to help form when needed.

• Like 1