ROTJ Scout - Bicep T-Bit - Accurate parts

Dimensions:

Tie bit: Length: 41mm; Width: a hair over 15 mm; Depth: 6mm
Harley bit: Length: 33.5mm; Width: 30mm; Depth with fins: 13.5mm; Depth w/o fins: 8mm
Hex size: Width(flat sides): 2.5mm; Depth: 1.5mm 

Complete T-bit length: 49mm

The Tie bit is from the original 1978 MPC Darth Vader TIE Fighter model kit. The Harley bit is from the Tamiya 1/6 Harley Davidson FXE1200 AMF Super Glide, however the sprue that I bought was (apparently) from a Tamiya 1/6 Harley Davidson FLH1200 AMF. From what I can tell by looking at both kits, they have some similar parts, so any of the 1/6 kits that are like these two should have the correct sprue (Sprue C).

This is how the Harley bit looks off the sprue. It has these little bits on the sides which we will need to cut off to make it look right...

RzDfux.jpg
0jNoaf.jpg

You'll notice that the fins at the bottom edge of the Harley bit are rather tall (5mm). I think for the movie, they were probably trimmed down as I can totally see how they'd get caught on stuff or just snap off. Also, from a molding/casting perspective, those would be a pain to reproduce quickly so trimming them down would make sense to begin with.
HWAQPr.jpg
jczJ6H.jpg

Fun fact about the Tie bit: it's not universal. There's a left and a right piece that are mirrored/reversed. I did check the Blu-ray image and found the correct one, which is shown in the photos here. I sincerely hope they didn't mess with us and use the other side for the other bicep piece, and given the time crunch that's usual on a movie set, I doubt that would've been practical.

dGCAYZ.jpg

wuofJB.jpg

You can see the depth of the parts when put together. And how the Harley bit isn't raised or shimmed, but it's the correct height. You can also see just how tall those fins are. Also, you can see how the edge of the Harley bit is curved, not stepped. Just a nice gradual curve from the side to the top, no step into a 90 degree corner at all, anywhere on the piece.

Lt9OoC.jpg

v4TJin.jpg

88pWKR.jpg

ueIFUS.jpg

• Like 7

Whats the availability on the Harley kits ?  There a lot about? 

Saying that don't imagine it would be long before someone models it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TreeHuggerMatt said:

Whats the availability on the Harley kits ?  There a lot about? 

Saying that don't imagine it would be long before someone models it

They're around, but they're not cheap as they're the big 1/6 scale models. I think the cheapest I saw was around $200 USD.

Our own @MrPoopie has actually done that, so if anyone has a good 3d resin printer (or knows someone who does), hit him up for the details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spike said:

wow mate, nice find :)

Wish I could take credit. I heard about it via the RS Propmasters and they heard of it via some Facebook group. Been looking a loooooooong time for this piece. Good to see it actually existed and wasn't some scratch-made bit.

2 hours ago, Harbinger said:

If you started casting those in hard rubber I think you would have a market. ;)

True, but I don't have the time/space/supplies to do the deed. If I have some time during the summer I might mold the parts up but I'll see how things go.

If anyone wants to make these themselves just hit me up and I'll send you the file. 

T-Bit v4.0

• Like 6

The originals were cast by the props dept in white resin,the costume guys seemed to have modified this casting, a saw blade cut was put in between the two lower lugs, and the lugs sanded at an angle . Maybe because of air bubbles in the resin casts, or maybe just to make them look better in their opinion, more “ sci fi “ maybe . 
or maybe the original was modified before casting …who knows . 
now we know the source of this greeblie, the CRL

needs a quick update . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrPoopie said:

If anyone wants to make these themselves just hit me up and I'll send you the file. 

T-Bit v4.0

12 hours ago, MrPoopie said:

T-Bit v4.0

yes please buddy...that would be lovely 

• 4 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 5:58 PM, MrPoopie said:

T-Bit v4.0

I needed please

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2022 at 4:58 PM, MrPoopie said:

T-Bit v4.0

Yes please, I would like a copy of the file as well.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Diet_Evil said:

Pretty late to the party but I too would love to get ahold of that file for my build. =D

Reach out to @MrPoopie for the file.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1