Armor Trimming Advice

Thrasher

Hey everyone! My helmet is well underway, but I've had a lot of hesitation when it comes to trimming the armor. I started on the bicep, as it's one of the smallest pieces, but I stopped pretty quickly. I used a heat gun on the edges and started using short nosed scissors, but it's been very difficult to get the return edge cut down due to the curvature.

6JuJRPa.jpg

And on the bit I was able to trim, it left some teeth marks on the outside of the bicep (see below). 

4j0ZHGm.jpg

Very easily cleaned up, granted. But I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on how you trimmed your kits! I've considered using a rotary tool, but have been advised that precision can be difficult with it. I really want to get this thing going, so any counsel would be greatly appreciated! 

I'll leave the specifics about the kasshy kit to @ferra and @Jakeputt.

I can tell you generally that when there's a tough spot like that, I try to get as close as I can to a clean cut with the lexan scissors, and then I use an emory board and, as needed, sandpaper to smooth down the edge. If further refinement is needed, then yeah, I use a rotary tool. I don't do my primary cutting with a rotary tool though.

• Like 2

And if you're having trouble with working on curved surfaces, you can wrap a piece of sandpaper around a marker or pencil and that'll give you a rounder surface to try and smooth out those curved areas.

• Like 1