EC-17 Foam Blaster?

There is a kids con here in Maine I was thinking of attending with my son in early November.  One of the rules is "No fake or realistic prop guns. Only paper, cardboard, or foam made non-projectile prop allowed".  I am thinking I need to make an EC-17 out of EVA foam?  

Do you guys have any suggestions?  Maybe some of you have made a foam blaster?

46 minutes ago, MikerScout said:

There is a kids con here in Maine I was thinking of attending with my son in early November.  One of the rules is "No fake or realistic prop guns. Only paper, cardboard, or foam made non-projectile prop allowed".  I am thinking I need to make an EC-17 out of EVA foam?  

Do you guys have any suggestions?  Maybe some of you have made a foam blaster?

I'm not sure if making one out of foam would solve your problem, as it would need to look realistic enough to meet 501st requirements... and therefore look somewhat like a real gun.  If I'm reading those rules correctly, they seem to only allow paper/cardboard/foam swords, axes, knives, etc.  

Between the blaster's tendency to pull down the boot, fall out of the holster, or get swiped by quickhanded children, I find that for most troops, I just leave it in the bin.   And that's even when blasters are allowed.  It's more of a pain than anything else and isn't as important to our costume as the E-11 is to the Stormtroopers. 

Kids aren't going to ask you "where's your gun?"  They're going to ask "where's your bike?"  :D 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man, you know our Brodustrial page on facebook - check out the photo album we have for Star Wars foam props hahaha!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=BrodustrialLightAndMagic&set=a.320857718850962

We experimented with some stuff while making props for our buddy's movie and did a EC-17 from an '80s toy blaster.  We used expanding foam and it captured enough detail to make a cool looking prop, super lightweight and basically indestructable , lol, but obviously not to the level of "approval".  They are a little larger then the "good" replica ones people make now-a-day but we keep them on the table at troops so kids can hold them without any fear of damage.  Some guys walk around with them at some of the cons for the same reason.  

We don't sell them but we made a bunch for fun, I know you got the bag from us remind me of your address and I'll send you one if you want.  I believe I have one or two lying around still, maybe you can use if for something like this.  

• Like 1