Mandalorian Scout Lancer drafting

Required Costume Components

The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Mando scout helmet.png Helmet
  • Gloss white or semi-gloss.
  • Moderate to heavy desert-brown toned weathering.
  • Lens is black in color and obscures wearer’s eyes.
  • Decals are screen accurate.
  • Snout greeblie is medium gray and the aerator portion is painted black.
  • Inner edge of snout recess is black.
  • Bolts are either flat or have concave centers.
  • Helmet is true to the shape of screen-used helmet.
  • Earholes are cut out - mesh or paint is not acceptable:
    • Area behind earholes inside the helmet is blacked out, either with paint or tape. No interior white should show from the outside of the helmet when worn.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Weathering adheres to production sources.
  • Snout greeblie is screen-accurate:
    • it is an elongated plate with a rounded top, with a detail modeled after a Yamaha XS1100LG model motorcycle engine and sink aerator affixed to the bottom half.
    • “Sticker” snouts are not acceptable.
  • Helmet bolts are Gray 3M bolts or other replicas with concave centers. (Visible bolt head diameter of 22mm).
  • Optional: For the 'Back and Cap' style bucket constructions, fill the seam around the top of the dome so it is not visible.

Generic Balaclava.jpg Balaclava
  • A balaclava is a black head sock/hood that is worn under the helmet and is used primarily to hide any view of the wearer’s skin and/or facial hair.

Generic-black-coverall.jpg Flight Suit
  • The undersuit is a TIE Fighter pilot-style flight suit.
  • One piece black coverall/jumpsuit/flight suit with a front invisible zipper.
  • Approximately 1.5" (38.1mm) tall mandarin collar with a chevron shaped, left-over-right Velcro closure.
  • On the left bicep there is a code cylinder pocket with no flap, and vertical stitching dividing it into pen sleeves:
    • The bottom front corner of the pocket is cut off at a bevel on the side pointing in view direction, with the broader upside forming the border of the pen sleeves.
  • The right sleeve has a cargo pocket, approximately 6" (152mm) wide and 5.75" (146mm) on the bicep:
    • The pocket has a 2" (50.8mm) flap.
  • (2) large chest pockets (optional as covered by chest armor) and (2) large front pockets below the belt, without any zipper or flaps.
  • (2) leg pockets with flaps, similar in proportion as the right arm sleeve pocket.
  • If Imperial Cogs are present on the shoulders, they are covered by the shoulder armor and not visible.

TK anh stunt neckseal.jpeg Neck Seal
  • Black with horizontal ribs.
  • Conceals the entire neck.
  • Fitted to the wearer.

Mando scout shoulders.png Shoulder Armor
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around upper arm.
  • These pieces are free of any adornment.

• Black elastic measures either 3/4 or 1 inch and is ribbed.

Mando scout biceps.png Upper Arm Armor
  • Armor has a recessed area with a “t-bit” detail attached within.
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around upper arm.

Mando scout forearms.png Forearm Armor
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around forearm.

TB scout gloves.jpeg Gloves
  • Black leather and gauntlet length.
  • Glove details include:
    • Black suede or faux suede patches on top of the middle finger, index finger and thumb.
    • Four tightly spaced ribs that span the knuckles.
  • No external labels or logos.

• Gauntlets fit wearer's arm snugly and do not flare.
  • OPTIONAL: Glove clips have not been removed.

Mando scout chest.png Chest Armor
  • There is a recessed rectangular area present over the right breast that is painted a medium to dark gray.
  • The sides of the chest armor attach to the back armor with white elastic or webbing.

• Chest straps are white elastic and measure either 1.5 or 2 inches, depending on the height of the chest strap opening on the armor.  The elastic should completely fill the opening.

Mando scout back.png Back Armor
  • The back armor has a center tank attached.
  • The top of the tank is flat with a detail piece painted black:
    • Top detail piece uses the same greeblies as seen on the screen-used armor.
    • Top detail piece has a red line detail.
    • OPTIONAL:
      • The tank may or may not have a black stripe detail.

• Greeblie is affixed to the top of the tank with a silver rivet.

Mando scout cummerbund.png Cummerbund, Codpiece and Pouches
  • Cummerbund:
    • Made from white fabric.
    • Weathered in similar style to armor.
    • Closes in back with 2" (50mm) hook and loop fastener.
    • Closure is right-over-left.
    • Visible gap between the chest armor and top of cummerbund.
    • Visible below the scout’s belt.
    • Front of cummerbund has 5 ribs of equal width made of 6 vertical stitch lines, centered between the two fabric pouches.
  • Codpiece:
    • Tapered codpiece has a sewn inverted curve detail.
    • Black elastic strap connects codpiece between the legs to either the back of the cummerbund or the flight suit.
  • Pouches:
    • Pouches are white or off-white.
    • Attached to the cummerbund.
    • Droop over the scout’s belt or are worn with the belt over top of them.
    • May be worn with the flat end facing the ribs, or reversed.

• Cummerbund and codpiece are made of a smooth cotton material (not duck cloth, canvas or twill).
  • Cummerbund ribs are 1 inch apart.
  • There is an extra stitch running down the middle of the outside velcro cummerbund fastener.
  • Pouches measure 6x5x2 inches.
  • Pouches are made of duck cloth or similar heavy material.

Mando scout belt.png Belt
  • The belt fastener is made from white webbing material:
    • Belt fasteners are attached with one (1) 1⁄8 inch silver rivet on either end of the plastic belt.
  • Two plastic hip boxes (“drop boxes”) hang from the sides of the belt.
  • Drop boxes connect to the belt via white webbing straps.
  • Drop box indents are painted the same color as chest indent.
  • (4) black parachute buckles attach to the drop box straps, one on either side of the drop box:
    • Rear parachute buckles are threaded with the white webbing straps in front of the buckle.

• Drop box straps measure 1.5 inches.
  • Optional: Drop box straps are white polypro.

Mando scout TD.png Thermal Detonator
  • Thermal detonator box with short corrugated hose attaches to the back of the belt:
    • May be attached by clips or zip ties.
  • The correct thermal detonator greeblies are attached to the box:
    • The rectangular part of the thermal detonator greeblie is the same as used in the Rebel Endor trooper rank badge.
    • The round greeblie is the same used on the Scout tank topper.
    • The greeblies may be attached on either side of the detonator housing.

Mando scout knees.png Knee Armor
  • Black elastic is used to secure the armor around the leg.
  • Worn upside-down.

Mando scout boots.png Boots
  • White with moderate to heavy desert-brown toned weathering.
  • The soles of the boot are tan.
  • A “dog bone” shaped strap covers the bridge of the foot.
  • Dog bones have double stitching along the rounded edges as seen in the series.
  • The boots are secured up the back using 1" (25mm) white hook and loop fastener.
  • The calf of the boot rises to just slightly underneath the bottom of the knee armor.
  • Left boot closure is left-over-right.
  • Right boot closure is right-over-left.

• Boot coverings are made of white marine vinyl.
  • Dogbone length is such that it overlaps onto the sole of the boot on both sides.
  • Boots have a single-colored sole.

Mando scout holster.png Holster
  • Attached to the outside of the right boot with 1⁄8 inch rivets or similarly-sized Chicago screws.
  • The blaster pistol fits into the holster.

Optional Accessories

Items below are optional costume accessories. These items are not required for approval, but if present appear as described below. If adding in an accessory after initial approval, the item still needs to be submitted to local GML for approval before use.

TB scout pistol.jpeg Hold-out Blaster
  • Flat or semi-gloss black.
  • Blaster does not have any visible trigger.
  • Blaster is lightly weathered.

Mando scout tote.png Tote Bag
  • Khaki British P37 Pack-styled bag.
  • Strap replaced with Military Double Prong Canvas Belt.
  • A silver plate is attached to the lower right portion of the bag flap.
  • Mounted on the plate are 3 push button-style greeblies:
    • The two outer buttons have red covers.
    • The center button is white.

I mean. to me, I feel like what we did for the CRL really is Lancer type stuff already.  I'm not really aware of anything that we could have done better, or more accurate, as I feel like the little things we found we made the basis for the CRL. 

I know some folks mentioned not 3M taping the helmet together so that for going for Lancer, you wouldn't need to go back and bondo then re-paint the helmet 'gap' to achieve a one piece look, but I did 3M it and it's worked great for me so far.  In fact, I don't think I could tell the difference if I tapped or used e6000.  There really isn't a gap to speak of, and I feel that you weather around that area anyway so I'm not sure that needs to be a thing, but again I'm newer to this so just my thoughts.

I saw mentioned elsewhere that the pockets on the legs need to be straight across the flap, but re-watching the episodes, I feel that only the one trooper that asks for the chain code in Episode 7 may have that... but the others in episode 8 appear to that that little "wave" or regular flap that all the old school pilots/gunners have.

I'll keep an eye on this to see if I'm able to help out in any way.

Personally, the hardest part for me was the weathering and I don't like how mine looks.  I don't wear it often because I feel like it looks like a kid did it, lol.  I wish I had the talent to do it to make it look more authentic like theirs's looks (or like the others that did it around the same time as me)... maybe that could be a Lancer thing?  Air brush oil painted instead of the sponge with acrylic paint like I did?  Maybe that's too picky.  Not sure ;)

I can't wait to see how this finishes :)

• Like 1

3M tape and things that can't be seen from the outside would never be part of the CRL -- Lancer or otherwise.  

I agree overall that the CRL is already at a high standard and many of you would probably already meet the Level 2 standards.  There's probably a few details we can add to bump up the accuracy a notch and that's what the focus will be here.

Given the ad hoc nature of the Scouts on the show, it may be difficult to nail down further "accuracy" but we can give it a shot.  Some of you have worked very hard on your builds so being able to reward you with Level 2 badges is definitely something I want to shoot for.

• Like 1

So I think to get the ball rolling on this:

In the spirit of our ROTJ Scout CRL, what we do for level 2 mostly is specify exact measurements and the like.  So whereas Level 1 will say "use elastic for the arm", Level 2 will say what size to use: "use 1/2 inch elastic".   

Are there any exact measurements we can use for our Level 2 Mando Scout?   

12 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

So I think to get the ball rolling on this:

In the spirit of our ROTJ Scout CRL, what we do for level 2 mostly is specify exact measurements and the like.  So whereas Level 1 will say "use elastic for the arm", Level 2 will say what size to use: "use 1/2 inch elastic".   

Are there any exact measurements we can use for our Level 2 Mando Scout?   

Good point - yes, the velcro used for the shoulders, arms, and knee pads was black 1/2 inch... the velcro used for the chest to back was 1 1/2 white.
I think when I attached my armor to my shoulders, I made little elastic T shaped sewn straps then velcroed them.  But I'd have to dig it out to confirm specific measurements.  I believe I went by Christina's build for doing that, although I can't remember if she did snaps or velcro.  I used no snaps... all velcro on mine.

• Like 1

Well I'd have to know exactly what they did for the show to see if we would include things like t-straps

I suppose I could always just ask Walt

Higher levels of approval are higher levels of detail, right?

Things that I think we could do for the higher levels of approval:

• Lock down the tank stripes and rank stripes to what is seen on the show
  • Use the ribbed elastic with the same pattern as what is on screen
  • Tank construction to be the same as on the show (no rivet, etc.)

We could try to closer match the colors used on the weathering. Boot tread as well. But these could be going over the deep end.

Is there a difference in the EC-17s from the Mandalorian and ROTJ?

35 minutes ago, Maxall said:

Higher levels of approval are higher levels of detail, right?

Things that I think we could do for the higher levels of approval:

• Lock down the tank stripes and rank stripes to what is seen on the show
  • Use the ribbed elastic with the same pattern as what is on screen
  • Tank construction to be the same as on the show (no rivet, etc.)

We could try to closer match the colors used on the weathering. Boot tread as well. But these could be going over the deep end.

Is there a difference in the EC-17s from the Mandalorian and ROTJ?

Your 3 bullet points are totally in line with what we are going for -- except for the third one.  We already have no rivet requirement for the tank.

Color matching weathering would be tougher.  Especially with how color corrected the show is.   A general "weathering matches screen sources" is probably as far as we'll go with it.

Even if there was a difference in the EC-17s from the Mandalorian and ROTJ, it probably wouldn't make it to the CRL.   There are no two scout blasters that are the same and none that we call the "definitive" one.  For the ROTJ scout we just ask that the details are the same as on screen (no triggers, no drilled scopes) etc. and the same would go here.  

There is a rivet on top of the tank but the white circle isn't painted (which I'm bummed about).  As for weathering,  I like what @BikerScout007 said.  I just watched the punch scene and the scout on the left has black weathering on his belt.  The helmets are different types and I think the chest armor is too or at least styled differently.  One chest has a "V" notch at the bottom and the other doesn't.  I don't know, I'm just a noob.  I am trying to make my armor as accurate as I can.  Though, I like the snaps that Cristina used.  There are little tricks that make the armor much more.... usable 

tank top.jpg

You're right about the top rivet.  I thought he meant the bottom rivet that is on the ROTJ tank. 

There's a difference between the knees on the Mandalorian scout and the ROTJ scout, right? ROTJ has a second strap attached with rivets, where ours doesn't. At least that's what I see in the CRL pictures.

• Like 1

Yep no rivets on the Mando and I’m pretty sure it’s just a single strap unlike ROTJ that has two, but perhaps a specific width for the strap could be noted for Lancer if it can be nailed down.

Okay I've begun filling in some of the Level 2 details.  Feel free to chime in with more suggestions.

My notes:

Not sure where you're getting the elastic straps on the shoulders, biceps, forearms, and knees is 1/2" wide. You can see on this image the width on the forearm armour, that piece is 2.5" wide so there is no way that is 1/2" elastic, its more like 3/4" or 1". Specifically it is black Elastic Woven No-Roll, note this type of elastic has the raised ridges and should be a requirement for lvl 2.

XkyAxOu.jpg

Flightsuit

There are two types of flight suit used, as one has the thigh pocket flap which is straight across and the other has that thigh pocket with angled flaps. So the flap can't be a lvl 2 requirement.

Straight pocket flap examples

XkyAxOu.jpg

lHLoKU2.jpg

Angled pocket flap example

JZkxREH.jpg

The Cummerbund back closure flap has a added stitching detail up the middle. 

TDGG11U.png

The right glove has a plastic tag attached. Its visible on the DC23 display and also in the show, see below:

JFy0yAJ.jpg

deboZk9.jpg

The chest is shown with the middle notch trimmed out at the bottom and without so that can't be a lvl 2 item. 

lHLoKU2.jpg

The chest looks to be wider than 1.5", more like 2", Look at this image where you can compare to the drop boxes strap which were are calling 1.5", the chest is wider. This may be harder to accommodate on non-WTF armour. I know on my RS Props that the recess where strap goes only fits 1.5". 

oElEwpr.png

The back armour should have a note there is no elastic strap on the top or bottom that loops around inside the armour. The ROTJ armour has that as optional but its not used on the Mandalorian as per the below pics. 

KgDQo3p.png

b3ecMw1.jpg

There appears to be no white circle on the tank top.

6H2b5XW.png

The pouches should not attach with a flap visible above the pouch as they do on the ROTJ version. You can see here the velcro attachment is behind the pouch. 

yG1axck.jpg

The boots do have a distinct tread. The only vendor I know of that makes these is Steph Mortimer of Steph's Imperial Outfitters as she provided boots and cummerbund for the production. I've not seen another vendor who makes that specific tread. I don't think my current boots (Imperial Boots) have enough tread to cut the extra slot in. I know on the ROTJ lvl 2 that the screen used tread is required, I guess my concern is if we require a specific tread that is only available from one vendor why don't we require the exact specific armour for lvl 2 as we know WTF armour was used for the costume with a EFX helmet. 

Wp8LJFm.jpg

ygWKm4F.jpg

Hope these notes help. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TKZombie said:

My notes:

Not sure where you're getting the elastic straps on the shoulders, biceps, forearms, and knees is 1/2" wide. You can see on this image the width on the forearm armour, that piece is 2.5" wide so there is no way that is 1/2" elastic, its more like 3/4" or 1". Specifically it is black Elastic Woven No-Roll, note this type of elastic has the raised ridges and should be a requirement for lvl 2.

Flightsuit

There are two types of flight suit used, as one has the thigh pocket flap which is straight across and the other has that thigh pocket with angled flaps. So the flap can't be a lvl 2 requirement.

Straight pocket flap examples

Angled pocket flap example

The Cummerbund back closure flap has a added stitching detail up the middle. 

The right glove has a plastic tag attached. Its visible on the DC23 display and also in the show, see below:

The chest is shown with the middle notch trimmed out at the bottom and without so that can't be a lvl 2 item. 

The chest looks to be wider than 1.5", more like 2", Look at this image where you can compare to the drop boxes strap which were are calling 1.5", the chest is wider. This may be harder to accommodate on non-WTF armour. I know on my RS Props that the recess where strap goes only fits 1.5". 

The back armour should have a note there is no elastic strap on the top or bottom that loops around inside the armour. The ROTJ armour has that as optional but its not used on the Mandalorian as per the below pics. 

There appears to be no white circle on the tank top.

The pouches should not attach with a flap visible above the pouch as they do on the ROTJ version. You can see here the velcro attachment is behind the pouch. 

The boots do have a distinct tread. The only vendor I know of that makes these is Steph Mortimer of Steph's Imperial Outfitters as she provided boots and cummerbund for the production. I've not seen another vendor who makes that specific tread. I don't think my current boots (Imperial Boots) have enough tread to cut the extra slot in. I know on the ROTJ lvl 2 that the screen used tread is required, I guess my concern is if we require a specific tread that is only available from one vendor why don't we require the exact specific armour for lvl 2 as we know WTF armour was used for the costume with a EFX helmet. 

Hope these notes help. 

Elastic size came from what Chris said he used, because he was the only person to offer up a suggestion at that point.  Yeah 3/4 makes sense.  I can also make the ribbed elastic a requirement.  That's totally fine.   Nothing is set in stone here until it's set in set in stone.   And even then things change all the time.  

I was chatting with Steph last night about all the parts she made for the show and I will be incorporating those notes into the L2 CRL.  We are just going to be calling for single-colored sole work boots.  We would never ask for specific brands to be purchased or specific armor or helmets.   

I'll add the extra stitch on the bund flap

Yeah for the chest looks like they jammed a 2 inch slot into a smaller notch.  

Chest notch can be optional, that's fine.

I'll remove the white circle

Pouch attachment method will be noted

Glove clip will be noted

Thanks, these are all very helpful!

Finally

I've seen a couple of suggestions from people to put mentions along the lines of "this should not appear as it does on the ROTJ scout" --- folks, we put what is in a costume when we do a CRL, not what isn't.  Not everyone is going to read both CRLs, so if we are putting info like "there shouldn't be an elastic strap around the tank" or "there's no bottom rivet like on the ROTJ tank", then people who don't read the ROTJ CRL are going to be like "huh?"   A lot of people building this costume have never built another Pathfinder costume before, don't hang out on this forum and aren't familiar with the intricacies of our main Scout.  So we don't want to confuse anyone with extraneous details.   The K.I.S.S. principle is always the rule of the day around here.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Okay if there's nothing else to add to this I will proceed with what we've got in the draft

• Like 1

I'm looking at the close up of the cod (for sizing and attachment on my own built (these are great pictures!))  and I am wondering....  is that duck cloth?  The weave looks coarse to me.  

14 minutes ago, Mikerscout said:

I'm looking at the close up of the cod (for sizing and attachment on my own built (these are great pictures!))  and I am wondering....  is that duck cloth?  The weave looks coarse to me.  

Steph said she used smooth cotton for the bund and the codpiece

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 10:30 AM, BikerScout007 said:

Elastic size came from what Chris said he used, because he was the only person to offer up a suggestion at that point.  Yeah 3/4 makes sense.  

Sorry, I was obviously typing faster than I was thinking... I used 1 inch elastic, not 1/2 inch.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobafett4ever said:

Sorry, I was obviously typing faster than I was thinking... I used 1 inch elastic, not 1/2 inch.

All good, man.  This is a process.  We throw everything up against the wall when drafting.  

Okay two things from this pic.   The chest strapping looks like elastic instead of webbing.

The dropbox strap weave, color and the way it's wrinkling makes me believe it's polypro and not cotton.

deboZk9.jpg

Yeah, and there's a bit of a shine to it, which is typical of synthetic strapping.

• Like 1

If you look hard enough you find all kinds of stuff.  In the pic of the scout pointing his blaster at the IG part of his tank topper is missing.  Actually in several scenes.  The scout without the bag has a busted topper

If you look hard enough you find all kinds of stuff.  In the pic of the scout pointing his blaster at the IG part of his tank topper is missing.  Actually in several scenes.  The scout without the bag has a busted topper

Sure. But we try to keep the CRLs to intentional design choices.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1