Belt Repair

mickeymark34

8bc30c4d59ee92e6691db9a33dddeebd.jpg

Hello Scouts. It’s been a while. I recently suited up for a photo shoot with some fellow Garrison members and noticed this. It appears the hole on the belt stretched too wide and slips off the rivet. I was thinking of putting it back on and covering it with E-6000, but won’t it just keep stretching? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's tough. Having all the load bearing on that single rivet has been a common stress point for the costume.

Do you have enough slack in the webbing to punch a new hole further to the left and still have the belt fit ok?

I'd try punching a new hole, then wicking the hole a bit with a lighter so the material can melt slightly.

If you don't have enough room, you could machine stitch another piece of webbing onto the inside portion and then punch the hole again + some flame wicking. As long as the patch is concealed on the inside, then it should be ok.

With the webbing ends as short as they are, I think you might also want to put some E6000 underneath which, again, should alleviate some of the stress on the rivet and fabric.

• Like 2

Definitely reinforce that with E600 once reattached, and I'd recommend doing it on the other side.  The tensile strength of the material is pretty good, but spreading the load over as much area as possible will dramatically improve the durability.  I say this as a newb who just made his costume, and as a mountaineer who had the Army scare the bejeezus out of while at training in Alaska.  "2 equals 1. 1 equals none."  It makes sense in that weird Army sort of way.  Not in the transitive property sort of way.

• Like 1

This may sound silly if you've never heard of it before but you can experiment if you want.
When you plan on attaching a rivet to a piece of webbing, start out with putting a little bit of baking soda on the spot where you intend on attaching the rivet that is slightly larger than the rivet. Then put a drop of super glue on the baking soda and the two will instantly turn into plastic that you can drill a hole through. Be aware that what ever the shape of backing soda is, that is what the form will be when the super glue soaks into it.
That instant plastic can be sanded, and painted if need.
With a little imagination you can repair and replace broken plastic pieces.

Be cautious of the fumes though. Heat is also a result of the mixture.

If you are uncertain, and this sounds bat crap crazy, search for super glue and baking soda repair on youtube. There are quite few tutorials on the subject.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Like 2